“Central but tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Metz
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Central but tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Surprisingly large hotel with maze like corridors. Decent rooms and facilities but decor and appliances dated. It's location and deal with the large parking nearby makes it an affordable one night stop, but no longer than that.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

The hotel is very well located in the centre of Metz and the staff are friendly. Otherwise the hotel is clean, well maintained but a little dated. The breakfast was a standard buffet affair with a decent range of options. My room faced onto a courtyard at the back which meant it was quiet.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the hotel and it is a pleasant space to stay but these days you can get a little more for your money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Aldershot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

If you want to experience the heart of Metz, this is it! We've stayed here twice, mostly because there is secure parking in the hotel and you can walk out to the cathedral and restaurants. The rooms are fine - furniture standard, bathrooms small but adequate but the noise from the street stops around midnight and starts again at 6 am so not good for light sleepers unless you ask for a room at the back. Also, getting to it is a bit hairy as you drive right down the pedestrian area and a good satnav is recommended to get round the narrow streets. Breakfast is, however, good with lots of variety and plenty of it.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the street
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We booked this hotel after travelling widely in Germany, Austria and Italy, choosing to drive home from Italy via Metz. Every hotel and restaurant we had visited during our holiday welcomed my request for gluten-free options for my wife who has coeliac disease. Only the Grand Hotel de Metz refused. I was met with a blank "Non!" - despite speaking fluent French and explaining our needs well in advance of our stay. "Non!" they did not have gluten-free foods. "Non!" they could not get anything in time for our visit. "Non!" they could not recommend a restaurant with a gluten free option. The stairs were grubby and the wi-fi internet promised by reception did not reach our room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

3rd visit and still as comfy and welcoming. Motorcycles parked securely right next to the entrance for a modest cost. Newly updated room with large bathroom and seperate toilet. Balcony overlooks the busy pedestrian street below. Well spoken English on reception (my French is not so good!) Thankyou for making our stay so comfortable.
4 Men on Bikes.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Overton, Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

This is a great hotel for a stop over back from Austria. We stayed here last year and didn't hesitate to return this year. You can drive through the pedestrian area to the hotel where the friendly English speaking staff will park your car for you. Shops, bars and restaurants are all on your doorstep. Should we be driving home again next year, we will be back.

Room Tip: Family rooms are nice and large
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Barcelona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I arranged reservation at this hotel for a crew team customers of mine.We sent hotel authorization to charge stay to my visa credit card.For some reason it failed and instead of calling me to solve this trouble, they tell my customers that if they want the rooms they have to pay by themselves.Captain calls me to inform me about this, I resend hotel new visa card details by email again.Now receptionist does not want email but fax.We call him to ask if everything is correct and to complain about situation and his answer TO ME AND TO MY CUSTOMERS has been ( fuc…you off, and if you do not like it get take your customers out of the hotel and look for another one..).
We receive a new call from captain informing that receptionist now wants my visa pin code.I call again to he hotel to give it to him, but he makes me send it by fax.
I arrange thousands of reservations over the world every year and believe me I have never met such a receptionist like this.He does not deserve being at this position and of course I do recommend people to not to stay at this hotel NEVER.It is the fourth email I sent him and my crew is still waiting at the reception for more than 90 min.If I send them to another hotel he will charge me 100% of stay….!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!.
He is maybe the hotel owner or his son so he has the "power" of answering such kind of things…IT IS A SHAME…and if he is not, hotel manager would better fire him.We will see of thanks to him I loose a customer.NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER stay at this hotel.See how they take care of people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hotel de Metz? Share your experiences!