“The best a Montpellier” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 avenue Saint-Lazare, 34000 Montpellier, France   |
Ranked #17 of 85 Hotels in Montpellier
“The best a Montpellier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The otel and the restaurant are superb, beautiful, very pEasant people, the rstaurant its a combination of beautiful and the best food in provance.A very good chef, wonderful waiters, 1 for each 2 tables, good wine list and very good price for the quality.

Room Tip: All their rooms ( 13) are great
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Buntingford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I booked this for a business trip, and selected it because Easyjet were recommending it on special offer (€107), which I thought was a good deal. Being self - employed, I have to watch the expenses, and with a low room rate and good food reviews, I wanted to try it.

In the restaurant, I was dismayed to find that the set meal @ €49 was not available on the day I stayed, and the only alternative was a la carte. Normally, with the company paying, this wouldn't matter so much, but with me paying, a different scenario. Once the several amuse Bouches (which were lovely) started to appear, I knew this was going to sting me and indeed it did, beautiful though the food was, and great service from the staff, the cost of the meal was for one person €140, which was way beyond what I wanted to pay.

So caveat emptor here. Why can't the hotel, which obviously prides itself on its food, keep the low cost set menu on all the time, for businessmen on a budget?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

The Jardin des Sens is two separate things: a restaurant and a hotel. This is despite the fact that they both occupy the same beautifully laid out oasis in a very unattractive part of Montpellier. This doesn't matter too much though, as once inside the grounds, you are happy to be cut off from the outside world.

Many guests clearly visit the hotel on a food pilgrimage and if you are into very high-end Michelin star rich French food, then you will love it. If you want to eat normal food here, you can't.

As hotel guests, we felt like an afterthought compared to the attention that is lavished on the restaurant. (There is a shop at the entrance to buy restaurant trinkets and cook books.) That said, the hotel looks fantastic and the room was a pleasure to stay in. However, trying to get a drink by the pool was hard work. I felt like I had to keep reminding the staff that there were some hotel guests staying there, such was the emphasis on the restaurant.

With some more attentive service for hotel guests, this could be a great place, but it is expensive.

If you are a foodie, you will be in heaven, just be clear you will pay an arm and a leg for anything you eat in there restaurant. It is all or nothing. The portions and the cost for the restaurant are huge, just so you know.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Beijing Region, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect, but absolutely loved it. We had just arrived from a long drive from Marseilles, eating and rooming at Passédat the night before. They are so vastly different and wonderful in their own way, but I'd have to say that our degustation menu at Le Jardin des Sens was the highlight of our summer eating trip.

Our room was clean, simple with lots of natural light and I found the old school bathroom charming.

There's also quirky art pieces all over the hotel which gives the place a nice touch. Oh, and there's WIFI for the internet addicts out there, even though at times it's not the fastest and most stable.

Room Tip: Love the quirky contemporary art pieces around the hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

A large group of senior business directors and the wives---stayed here for two nights in mid-June 2011. the place is small, and is in an almost entirely tourism-based French coastal town---which has several hotels.

The place has just three-storeys--and has lifts. We had a room just behind the Reception !
The restaurant is just besides the swimming pool, and breakfast is also served on the poolside.

The Hotel arranged an excellent elaborate dinner for us--including some cusotmised vegetarian dishes---and the food and service were excellent !

there is also another restaurant opposite to the hotel on the other side of the road---attached to this hotel, and that place serves excellent customised food too ! Seafood---especially oysters---are the speciality here !

The biggest advantage is the considerable privacy you get here---no windows facing your room from the other side--or no big concrete blocks on all sides !

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I recently "ate" at the 3 michelin starred restaurant Le Jardin Des Sens and was nearly sick.

I selected the lunch menu at 45 euros.The very first thing they do, before you are even properly settled into your seat, is ask if you want an aperatif. I now know why. When I got the bill, I saw they'd charged me 22 euros for the kir royale I'd ordered. A blatant con. A scam.

And it wasn't the only one.There was one free glass of wine with the meal. Unwittingly, I ordered a second. For this they charged 14 euros. So, a 45 euros lunch magically became an 80 euro plus affair.

But that was only part of the problem. After amouse bouches and a first course consisting of cheesy, creamy biscuits and strange little glasses of indeterminate,unnapealing substances, I began to feel quesy . Then, the main course. A little "filet" of duck breast and duck livers with more little glasses of strange and unappetising accompaniments. I could barely saw my way into the duck, which was of a size and consistency not dissimilar to a discoloured squash ball. Of the two pieces I managed to bisect , neither could be masticated into swallowability and I actually had to take them out of my mouth and put them back on the plate. After a couple of the extremely rich livers and a hesitant distaste of a lavender coloured I -don't- know- what , I realised I was actually beginning to feel physically sick. I could not eat the desert.

If you are looking for pretentiousness, nausea and theft, eat at Les Jardins des Sens, Montpellier.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We went to the hotel with my wife and my brother and his wife. We took two rooms side by side: the poolside suite and a classic room. The staff was very good and the architecture of the place is very interesting.

However, the suite was definitively not worth the money for such a hotel. It was the most expensive room of the property but there were a lot of details that bothered us or were not to be expected of such a hotel:
- the suite only had one toilet, near the living room. the main bathroom did not have a toilet
- the dressing was of a good size but only had three hangers on each side - they were special hangers and you could not just add more
- the shower was small and did not even have a place for you to put the shampoo or soap - you had to lay them on the ground
- the night service did prepare the bed but did not change the towels or make the bathroom

We had much higher expectations from a 4 star relais and chateaux hotel. It was not bad but just not worth the money we paid (480 euros for the night).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Le Jardin des Sens? Share your experiences!