“French Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 33 Montpellier B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“French Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and l have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at Montpellier. When l was looking to book a hotel l checked out the reviews and this one sounded just perfect offering a french experience and not a chain hotel.
Our mistake was to hire a car from the airport when we could have simply got a taxi ( only 20 mins)as the tram service is excellent and there is even one that takes you to the beach with a connecting bus. Unfortunately our google map didn't help and we ended up lost completely. However l called Caroline from my mobile phone and she tried her best to help, finally when we got somewhere near her place in the pooring rain on her bike with the dog running behind she came to meet us.

On a small street behind a big door is a place with charm and character and just a short walk to the wonderful city of Montpellier. The room with high ceilings and big shutter windows opens onto the gardens and small pool area. The bells ringing and the children playing in the school across we didn't mind it added to the atmposhere. Each morning the tables around the garden were set for breakfast with homemade touches in by now the sunshine,it was delightful.

If you like modern this place is not for you, if however you appreciate French hospitality and charm then this place has just that.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Canton of Glarus, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Very central, great location in the old city, less than a kilometer from the railway station. We enjoyed a few days in Montpellier, and Caroline Terisse made us feel very comfortable, just like at home. Her house and garden are a real calm place a few footsteps from the busy places.
Fridolin & Antoinette, from Switzerland

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Quite a bad experience overall. The place is really great and the rooms are very large, clean and overlooking a beautiful courtyard. The problem was all with Caroline who runs it who did not acknowledge that I had reserved a room after having sent me an email confirming this. She didn't check her email when it was suggested. She did, however have rooms available so we stayed. She then tried to up the price twice, firstly saying that the third member of our party could sleep in a different room for the same price as sharing, then changing her mind. She offered us to use a shower room and afterwards tried to up the price by 65€ on the grounds that it would have to be cleaned etc. She seemed crazy to be honest - a real pity given such a nice place. On balance it wasn't worth the hassle.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
caroline t, Propriétaire at Ma Chambre d'Hotes a Montpellier, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Sir,

Although I appreciate the compliments about my home, I would like to set
the record straight about the way you judge my reception.
You came to my place at 11.00 AM without letting me know you were coming
when the check-in time is 5.00 P.M.
I left you all the keys to my home and when you came back at 2.00 P.M.
you locked yourselves up in two different rooms although you ahd rented
one room for three people. On top of this you did use the bathroom of a
third room. I tried to explain that you needed to pay for all these
upgrades but you refused bluntly (I had to redo the rooms and clean the
extra bathroom for my next guests).
Despite the fact that I overheard your freind mention that I was crazy,
I did serve you with a delicious breakfast on the sunny terrace.
It rejoices me to know that many guests appreciate my guest home...
Yours faithfully,

C.Terisse
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We booked this B&B for 3 nights. At booking we let the hostess know that our 6 yr old would be traveling with us. She recommended that we have a ground floor room that opened onto the patio and she would provide us with an additional single. Our room included a kitchenette. We arrived by car approximately when we said we would. At that point, she noticed our car and said we shouldn't park on the street by the B&B if we didn't want it to be burglarized! This would have been useful information prior to booking. Parking the car in the underground city lots cost ~25 euros/24 h. Since we hadn't planed on driving while in Montpelier, this added a significant cost to our choice of this B&B.
Our room was cozy with the additional single, but fine. What was challenging was the service. When we arrived, there was no toilet paper, etc in our room; our hostess was just going out to get it. After one night in the living room where we shared snacks with our friends who were staying in another room, our plates, glasses, utensils, never were returned to our room. So, by our last night when my daughter only wanted something heated in the microwave for dinner, I had not a single bowl or plate to use. Furthermore, additional toilet paper was not added to our room when the bed was made; so in the middle of the night, we ran out.
A final note about service. On the Saturday night during our stay, my daughter and I noticed a fire burning in the living room which must be entered to reach the dining table for breakfast every morning. Our hostess said we were welcome to use the room. As the night wore on our group grew to 5. Several times during the evening, we asked whether it was ok if we stayed and kept the fire going. She said, "of course!!" At midnight she came in and yelled at my husband and his friend for being too loud and that they needed to vacate the room. They were never told that sound carried until that point. The next night, the main house was locked (perhaps there were no other guests?) and dark, and this is when we needed utensils and toilet paper.
Breakfast was wonderful and generous the first two mornings. By the third and fourth mornings, things were brought out one at a time. And I was asked, "oh do you want that too?" The hostess made me feel like she was doing we a favor. In her defense, she did say that her maid was on holiday while we were staying with her. However, if she was happy to take our 150 euros/night, then she should have been happy to buy toilet paper, do dishes and return them to our room, and provide a great breakfast. What's the point on a B&B, if not?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
caroline t, Propriétaire at Ma Chambre d'Hotes a Montpellier, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
I am very sorry that you weren't happy with your stay. I always try to do my best for all my guests...
You must know that the room I allowed you to use to enjoy the fireplace that evening, is my private family room. You used it to have dinner and spent the entire evening drinking. By midniight I had to kindly ask you to leave, to let the other guests enjoy their night.
Concerning breakfast, you and your freinds arrived at different times that morning and I brought fresh orange juice, hot coffee, pastries, cheese as they were showing up so that each person would get his breakfast fresh and on time.
Buxton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We booked in advance to spend a night here in October, 2011. The impression I got from the owner's emails was of someone who wasn't particularly friendly or warm, e.g. she signed herself 'C. Terisse.' This indeed proved to be the case. For example, although she knew it was the first night of our honeymoon, she never took the trouble to proffer her congratulations, or, indeed, to make any reference to the fact that we had just got married. I would expect people in the hospitality business to enjoy meeting visitors, or at least to give the impression of doing so, but not so in this case.

We were a little disappointed with our room, which was not as nice as we had expected it to be from the photos on her website. But, most importantly, it was quiet and comfortable. We had a lovely breakfast in the morning, in a delightful courtyard: one of the highlights of our honeymoon.

Our visit coincided with a national train strike, and we were unsure as to how this would affect our onward travel plans, having booked tickets on a specific train out of Montpellier. It would have been helpful if the owner could have made a phone call on our behalf to update the situation for us, but she made no offer to do so.

She charged my wife 130 Euros for the night we stayed. This seemed more than I'd expected it to be, and when I checked her website afterwards I found that the price for our room was in fact 110 Euros.....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to see that you were not happy with your stay. I always try very hard to do my best for my guests.
I cannot allow myself to interfere with my guests private life.
The website is very clear about the fact that the rate for two people is 130 Euros including breakfast and taxes.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We were recommended to stay at this B&B by another provider in Montpellier who had double booked us; what luck.! Caroline, the owner, was a wonderful host, going out of her way to help in any way she could, including giving us a lift to the offices of our hire car company on our last day. The rooms are clean, comfortable and sympathetically renovated and decorated to suit the age and style of the building (Caroline also has her own interior design business). The breakfast was the best I've had in France for some time and, when the weather permits, you can take this on the terrace in her beautiful, tranquil garden. Add to this the city of Montpellier itself; young, vibrant, exciting with a great mix of the historic and modern, and you have a package well worth returning to - we'll be back.!

Room Tip: All of them.!