“Very nice oldy-worldy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Oceania Le Metropole

You added Hotel Oceania Le Metropole to your Saves list
Hotel Oceania Le Metropole
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 rue Clos Rene, 34000 Montpellier, France (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Montpellier
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Very nice oldy-worldy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed just 2 nights in this hotel with some trepidation, having read these reviews - AFTER making the reservation. However, I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel has a really nice atmosphere with helpful and friendly staff. Our room was a bit shabby, but clean and comfortable. Understand that Holiday Inn are selling this hotel to the Oveana group. Perhaps they will refurbish the rooms - they certainly need it! Would recommend.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Staines, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was really looking forward to staying in Montpellier, a place i had never visited before. Not knowing the area, i though 'Holiday Inn' was a safe bet in the centre of the city.
It was almost impossible to find by car with very poor signage and a hotel car park hidden through the one-way system.
The room was OK but really nothing special.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed in nice autumn weather, jobwise on a conference in October.
The hotel is close to the centre and the railwaystation, nice lobby and staircase: The latter has the ancient elevator preserved.
But yes, my room on (200something) was not nice... Not a place to spend more time than necessary. Bathroom => check others photos. Can confirm most dark corners and dusty fans...
Some noise from the street, still OK.
Free wifi worked well, so no exceptional speed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked this hotel as a 'secret hotel on a booking website. The hotel was ok if you only need a bed for the night but it was fairly shabby. The room was a bit dilapidated. The shower was the smallest I've ever been in - it's impossible to shave your legs in this shower! The hotel must have been grand once but the rooms are very much in need of updating. The service was very good and the staff spoke good English (and kindly tolerated my mediocre French!). Breakfast wasn't included so we went out. The location is very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oceania Le Metropole, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear HannahMM,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the room and the shower size. I understand the discomfort this caused you. We will look into this points and assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel is virtually impossible to access by car. We spent 1.5 hours circling around it - it's now cut off by tramlines. Our friends abandoned their car after 2 hours and eventually arrived on foot.
The rooms are dirty and tired.
Paintwork was chipped and bashed and never cleaned - covered in thick dust
Mould hung from our ceiling.
Toilets were brown and stained
No mattress protector
Old tired bed linen with holes!
Ripped chair fabric
Dirty carpets in rooms and hallways
Coffe facilities had odd chipped mugs
No Duty Manager all weekend despite our constant requests to see someone
We were lucky - our friends rooms were far worse!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I travel around the world very often. This is one of the worst hotel I have ever stayed! Not only rooms need serious upgrade and attention to hygiene, but also this hotel needs a new manager who knows what hospitality management industry is. Because the door lock and the air conditioner was not working, I request to change the first room I have checked in. After I moved to another room one floor down, I realized that I forgot my makeup/toiletry bag in the first room. After I went back to the first room (with a maintenance), I could not find my make up bag in the place I put in the bathroom. I asked to front desk to check the lost and found room, I have been told that it was the weekend and the key of the lost and found room was with housekeeping manager who was off for the weekend! The hotel manager was off for the weekend as well. It seemed like the whole hotel was left to a front desk employee to handle all problems. I had to wait until Monday for housekeeping manager to come to work and check if the cleaner left my bag. No luck! She could not find it! Than I spoke with the hotel manager. I was shocked when I smelled alcohol in his breath when he was talking with me in the morning. Bad first impression! After I explained the situation to him, he asked me if I am accusing his housekeepers with steeling my makeup bag. Honestly, told him that I have no doubt about that!
Than he said that if I file complain, at least two of his housekeeper would lose their jobs and he said he would investigate! He asked me to leave my email address so he could let me know about his findings. That day, I went to shopping and bought makeup/toiletry and checked out the next day. After about a week, the hotel manager sent me an email saying that the two housekeepers denied taking anything from the room! I was very disappointed with the negative attitude and incompetency of the hotel manager, which was apparently reflected to every inch of the hotel and its staff. By the way, the second room was not any better than the first room. It was very poor and dirty. Please check out a few pictures of the room and you decide if you can stay in that hotel. I would post many more pictures to give you an idea how terrible this hotel is; however, I am allowed to post a few pictures here. If you think you can stay in this hotel, don't forget to lock your valuables in the safe and/or in your bags!

Room Tip: It seems like there is no good room in this hotel. Just make yourself a favor and stay somewhere els...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Isle of wight
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just spent 4 nights here and it's location - very close to station and Place de la Comedie - was ideal for getting around. But for what we paid and what we got, we felt it is bit overpriced!!!

It's appears quite grand and was once, I imagine, a beautiful building, but our standard room and landing was one (of many?) that needed an upgrade.
Room 312's bathroom - has an old pink vanity sink barely set in a unit and the shower screen (bit mouldy round the fittings) had a gap at the bottom so the floor got soaked.

The bed was as hard as a rock......not much fun after 12 hours + travelling and i could not sleep at all.......but to be fair the next day when we mentioned this we were given an extra duvet to double up on the mattress which made all the difference.
Our breakfast was included, and for us, that a cooked breakfast was on the menu was a bit of a bonus...as not usual in french hotels.

Room Tip: Our room 312 was at the back...overlooked the pool...and large courtyard garden
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oceania Le Metropole, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear wightbaby,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased you found our location and our staff commendable. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations to all of our guests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you were not fully satisfied with the conditions of the room you received.. Rest assured, your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Hotel Oceania Le Metropole? Share your experiences!