“Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Oceania Le Metropole

You added Hotel Oceania Le Metropole to your Saves list
Hotel Oceania Le Metropole
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 rue Clos Rene, 34000 Montpellier, France (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #35 of 85 Hotels in Montpellier
Chester, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel is virtually impossible to access by car. We spent 1.5 hours circling around it - it's now cut off by tramlines. Our friends abandoned their car after 2 hours and eventually arrived on foot.
The rooms are dirty and tired.
Paintwork was chipped and bashed and never cleaned - covered in thick dust
Mould hung from our ceiling.
Toilets were brown and stained
No mattress protector
Old tired bed linen with holes!
Ripped chair fabric
Dirty carpets in rooms and hallways
Coffe facilities had odd chipped mugs
No Duty Manager all weekend despite our constant requests to see someone
We were lucky - our friends rooms were far worse!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I travel around the world very often. This is one of the worst hotel I have ever stayed! Not only rooms need serious upgrade and attention to hygiene, but also this hotel needs a new manager who knows what hospitality management industry is. Because the door lock and the air conditioner was not working, I request to change the first room I have checked in. After I moved to another room one floor down, I realized that I forgot my makeup/toiletry bag in the first room. After I went back to the first room (with a maintenance), I could not find my make up bag in the place I put in the bathroom. I asked to front desk to check the lost and found room, I have been told that it was the weekend and the key of the lost and found room was with housekeeping manager who was off for the weekend! The hotel manager was off for the weekend as well. It seemed like the whole hotel was left to a front desk employee to handle all problems. I had to wait until Monday for housekeeping manager to come to work and check if the cleaner left my bag. No luck! She could not find it! Than I spoke with the hotel manager. I was shocked when I smelled alcohol in his breath when he was talking with me in the morning. Bad first impression! After I explained the situation to him, he asked me if I am accusing his housekeepers with steeling my makeup bag. Honestly, told him that I have no doubt about that!
Than he said that if I file complain, at least two of his housekeeper would lose their jobs and he said he would investigate! He asked me to leave my email address so he could let me know about his findings. That day, I went to shopping and bought makeup/toiletry and checked out the next day. After about a week, the hotel manager sent me an email saying that the two housekeepers denied taking anything from the room! I was very disappointed with the negative attitude and incompetency of the hotel manager, which was apparently reflected to every inch of the hotel and its staff. By the way, the second room was not any better than the first room. It was very poor and dirty. Please check out a few pictures of the room and you decide if you can stay in that hotel. I would post many more pictures to give you an idea how terrible this hotel is; however, I am allowed to post a few pictures here. If you think you can stay in this hotel, don't forget to lock your valuables in the safe and/or in your bags!

Room Tip: It seems like there is no good room in this hotel. Just make yourself a favor and stay somewhere els...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Isle of wight
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just spent 4 nights here and it's location - very close to station and Place de la Comedie - was ideal for getting around. But for what we paid and what we got, we felt it is bit overpriced!!!

It's appears quite grand and was once, I imagine, a beautiful building, but our standard room and landing was one (of many?) that needed an upgrade.
Room 312's bathroom - has an old pink vanity sink barely set in a unit and the shower screen (bit mouldy round the fittings) had a gap at the bottom so the floor got soaked.

The bed was as hard as a rock......not much fun after 12 hours + travelling and i could not sleep at all.......but to be fair the next day when we mentioned this we were given an extra duvet to double up on the mattress which made all the difference.
Our breakfast was included, and for us, that a cooked breakfast was on the menu was a bit of a bonus...as not usual in french hotels.

Room Tip: Our room 312 was at the back...overlooked the pool...and large courtyard garden
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oceania Le Metropole, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear wightbaby,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased you found our location and our staff commendable. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations to all of our guests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you were not fully satisfied with the conditions of the room you received.. Rest assured, your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

The place looks grand and it's in a great spot. But the rooms are very tired and the cooked breakfasts were tasteless and overpriced. Montpellier was fun and we hope to return someday, but not to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oceania Le Metropole, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear LenBrown B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am pleased that you found our location convenient. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions and the breakfast may have caused you. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. Rest assured that I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The location of this hotel is very good for visiting all the locations within Montpellier. The Hotel is typical French and we found that the our room to be very comfortable. However, the bathroom and shower needed upgrading. The dining room and food were good and the outside facility for evening dinner is also very good. We found that an evening dip in the swimming pool was ideal and most welcome. We enjoyed our six days at this Hotel and it's location. Last but not least the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We chose this hotel at last minute as an overnight stop of our journey. It is a fairly new built. Rooms are very small but it was enough for a night. It has a great pool for children, they can let some energy out. Breakfast is nothing extraordinary but decent.
Staff is friendly and resourceful. Hotel is located next to an entertainment center with restaurants and children's activities. Good value for your money as long as you are aware that you are staying at a place just to sleep and shower. Free parking and wi-fi in the room, free is always a good thing, right?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My wife and I spent a week in Montpellier on a work assignment. The location of the Holiday Inn couldn't have been more convenient: a very short walk from the train station, the main conference centre and conference hall CORUM and an even shorter walk to the delightful, bustling Comedie. A slightly longer but still brief stroll brings you to the Arc de Triomphe and statue of Louis XIV as a Roman Emperor!

The hotel's welcome couldn't have been friendlier with an upgrade to an executive room and a recommendation to the best brasseries in town. This property is a bit grander than what one expects from Holiday Inn and shows its more gilded past as the Metropole with a lovely old wood elevator on display. The hotel grounds are tranquil and pleasant with a swimming pool surrounded by palms and including a very pleasant outdoor sitting area.

Our room was of a generous size with windows which opened and allowed some of the incredible sun-kissed air of southern France to mix with the air conditioning. WiFi was free, occasionally slow, but generally reliable. The minibar came with a couple of free bottles of badoit. The safe worked; the bathroom adequate. All the staff we met from the front desk to the breakfast room were pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast was generous and happily served till 10:30 on weekdays, 11:00 on weekends: perfect for those of working late or with late night habits. Sadly, the bar closed at 11PM.

Of course, just being in Montpellier and in its beautiful surroundings, whether mountain or sea, is nearly pleasure enough. Nearby Saint Guilhem-le-Desert is a particularly tranquil outpost of Paradise and then Aigues-Mortes is also not to be missed. I would add one more essential when you visit Montpellier: Amorino serves the best gelato I have ever tasted. It became a daily habit along with salads at various bistros on the Comedie and Esplanade. We're going back to Montpellier for our 20th anniversary later this fall and will likely re-visit the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Get an executive room if you can: 602 was quite good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Oceania Le Metropole? Share your experiences!