“Finalment, a winner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Volodia

Le Volodia
29, rue Jean Jacques Rousseau, 34000 Montpellier, France (Préfecture)
04 99 61 09 17
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Book Online and Save Up to 20% *
Le Volodia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
*Some exclusions may apply.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 885 Restaurants in Montpellier
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Préfecture
“Finalment, a winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Okay, so we use TripAdvisor, and like it a lot. But reviewers tend to wax eloquent over a good French fry, forgetting that dinner is about the whole picture, food, place, presentation etc.

So this one works. On a nearly impossible to find street in a lovely part of town with a hundred restaurants within shouting distance, this restaurant shines. It is reasonable, it is a lovely space and the chef is a magician. Raviolies, salmon, beef from heaven and two lovely deserts. My wife who is nearly impossible to please, loved everything and we will return in a day or two. Too often presentation preceeds all else. The French are nothing if not obsessed with appearance. But Volodia goes below the surface and produces the sort of dinner that causes you to close your eyes often and think impure thoughts. Now that is a lovely feat, indeed.

“One of the best lunches I had in France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I arrived late in the lunch hour on a weekday and essentially had the place to myself. The service was outstanding. I don't speak French to any degree and command of English on their side was minimal, but I felt quite at home. The food is French with a Japanese influence. The beef tartare was simply the best I've ever had - very fresh and cool, and with a light but distinct Asian seasoning. The chef came out to see me and we chatted for a bit. Price vs. quality excellent vs. the meals I had in Paris 5 during the month I was in France. Montpellier is a delightful town and this restaurant is in one of its most scenic quarters.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“A culinary affordable treat! Happy to have discovered this resto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I tried this resto after reading the other reviews and I am so happy I did! The resto is modern and has changing art exhibits on display. Though very chic it's also welcoming. The staff are expedient, attentive and friednly. Dario provides excellent wine recommendations. The chef Florian visits guest to inquire about the food and appreciates feedback. I'm a bit of a gourmet and so appreciated his creations and inquiry. I ordered the Gamabs de' Asie as an entree and there were generous serving of ravioli filled with saint jacques and gamabas in a lovley shitake saint jaques sauce. For the plat I had the le merland in llight and delicate tandoori sauce with black spaghetti & saffron panacotta cream accourtrement. And because I took the menu formulae - an incredible price - quality ratio - I also had the chocolate basilic dessert. Enjoy!

Visited March 2012
Oxford, UK
“Five for food, four for ambience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Had dinner on a Friday evening. We hadn't booked so the only available table was in a very cold draughty position. Even the diners next to use kept their coats on throughout the first course. The tables further inside looked cosier. Slightly uber-trendy decor (some plastic sculptures) but some excellent French cooking with an oriental accent, based on high quality ingredients. Good value at 32 euro for a three course fixed price menu (choice of just three options for each course). An amuse-bouche of white gazpacho was served along with the drinks. We then had a 'nage' of beef, and a rolled fillet of salmon, with basil sauce and quinoa salad, followed by caramelised fillets of duck with ginger served with assorted veloutes and a Simmental beef that melted in the mouth, flavoured with lemon grass and served with chestnuts and parsnip puree. All beautifully cooked with a perfect balance of flavours, herbs and spices. A 'melting middle' style chocolate pudding and - a less successful combination in an otherwise perfect meal - thinly rolled cannelloni filled with pear. Good range of wines. The Volodia is in a pedestrian street in the historic centre only a few doors down from the Le Guilhelm hotel. Definitely one to book!

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Languedoc-Roussillon, France
“Excellent food in trendy surroundings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stopped here for lunch on a hot sunny June day of sight seeing in Montpellier. It was lunch time and thought this place looks interesting - walked past and then decided to go back. We were so happy that we did. It is a cool calm oasis! The staff were all pleasant and helpful. They have a varied and interesting menu and we all enjoyed our choices. Good wine list too! On another trip to Montpellier we would definitely go back!

• Visited June 2011