“Service much improved!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La cigale Recamier - CLOSED

La cigale Recamier
impasse recamier, 75007 Paris, France (Saint-Germain-des-Pres)
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Sacramento, California
“Service much improved!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

The soufflés are excellent! I have been here four times and love it. If you read other reviews of this resto, you will see a common theme of poor service - esp to Americans. I was never treated out rightly rude in the past but the service was brusque. Not today! Welcoming service. Spoke English with a smile even. And were understanding of my attempts to speak french. This was with 3 different staff. Great time!

Visited October 2013

• Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
“Worst service ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was really looking forward to this restaurant but I had my worst experience in a restaurant ever! The staff was so rude we could not believe! We were in a group of 7 and knowing only a few words in French. Apparently this was enough for them to treat us terribly. The waiter brought our wine and just left it on the table, we had to pour it. When the food came, a waitress rolled up her eyes while we struggled to decide whose souffle was whose. Finally, she just left all the dishes on the table and left! I felt so bab I lost my apetite! If you do not speak French, DON'T go there!!!!!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Fabulous soufflés, not so fab staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Extraordinary air-puffs of soufflé--I had the traditional cheese, and Grand Marnier for dessert BOTH times that we went. Once was not enough.
My only complaint is that both times the staff had the stereotypical French haughty and rude attitude. There were French diners and we, both speaking relatively good French, could understand the more solicitous attitude and general behavior towards the French clientele and the disdainful attitude towards us and the other American tourists (of which there were many).
However, the staff's attitude notwithstanding, I would return in a heartbeat.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Best night in Paris!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We (my husband, 5 year old son, and I) dined at La Cigale Recamier on Thursday, September 12. Everything about the experience was really special - the food, the atmosphere, the hospitality. I had read all the reviews on here, and of course the negative/critical ones had me wondering if we would regret going here. I am so glad we overlooked the warnings about how Americans would be received - it was such a great night!

The food: we ordered off the soufflé menu; we ordered the champignons des bois + buckwheat and the classic fromage - both of these were just to die for (my favorite was the mushroom, by the tiniest of margins though) and then the chocolate and the salted caramel for dessert. For my son we got the petite fromage and chocolat. The salad in between courses was perfect - a little texture, a little acidity, nice and cool to balance out the rich soufflés. Had just the right bottle of white with dinner, plus espresso for my husband and champagne pour moi to finish off the evening. In short, the food is amazing and delicious. Go for that reason alone! :)

As far as the service/hospitality: I had walked in the day before at lunch to make a reservation. I am not easily intimidated but, man, after all the reviews I'd read I was fairly nervous! I put my best French-speaking foot forward and managed to get through it and reserved a table for the next night. Whew! I wouldn't say it was a slam-dunk friendly exchange, but the busy maître d' (who clearly could tell I was American), put a kind hand on my shoulder and gave me a small smile as I left. Success!

We arrived right on time the next night and then waited maybe 15 minutes for our table. They must have apologized three times for making us wait (it was absolutely no problem for us, of course; the restaurant is clearly a "scene" type of place and we enjoyed the people watching). They were even apologizing in English eventually - they didn't have to because I understood them in French, but I appreciated the effort anyway.

Our table ended up being the one table right in the middle of the very small restaurant - like a fish bowl almost. Did I mention we had our five year old son with us? Ha! He was not only the youngest child there....he was the ONLY child there. He rose to the occasion and it was all a very delightful evening. I was really tickled when, two hours into dining, a (clearly local) family got up to leave and the mom/grandma stopped to say "congratulations on your son". In broken French and English we had a really nice brief exchange about young boys (she has three sons) and where we were from, etc. Who says the French aren't friendly? :)

The service was prompt and friendly, and as tourists we felt more than welcome in this local favorite. It's definitely an upscale and elegant restaurant, but it felt very relaxed and comfortable rather than stuffy (the people at the table two down from ours had their dog with us - love!!). On our way out, I stopped to thank the maître d' for a wonderful evening and the gracious hospitality at his restaurant, and told him it was our last and best night in Paris. He was so grateful and he even stepped outside with us to chat briefly. He seemed genuinely gratified to have such satisfied American customers.

I can't wait for another visit to Paris -- and I will never miss a chance to dine at La Cigale Recamier. I would obviously recommend dining here, but especially to Americans I would say -- give it a chance! The food is out of this world and the staff here absolutely want their customers to have a great experience. Thank you, La Cigale -- hope to see you again soon! :)

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Magnificent soufflés”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We went all the family and knowing that soufflés was the specialty here, we decided to try one as a main course. They offer other plates in the menu but for us was perfect because we had a light lunch and the best of all: we could share among our options and enjoy the same with the dessert. They change menu every month but the best soufflé for me was the Magret de Canard and figs and the Salt Caramel one for dessert. Service was great, prompt and assertive. Guys are "très sympathique" and gently.

• Visited September 2013