“Duck lover's delight.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Au Petit Sud Ouest

Au Petit Sud Ouest
46, Avenue de la Bourdonnais, 75007 Paris, France (Eiffel Tower / Invalides / Palais-Bourbon)
+33.1.45.55.59.59
Description: Closed on Sunday and Monday
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Duck lover's delight.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

After discovering APSO in my local neighborhood during our holiday I instantly planned to visit. After discovering its rating on TripAdviser, I was really looking forward to it.

And I was not disappointed.

For wine, the maitre'd made a suggestion (which we enjoyed), a 2004 Bordeaux drop which was beautiful on its own, but complimented the meal very well, and was only €25.

We enjoyed the fois gras for entree (me the fried with apple, my wife with truffle oil). The serving size of the entree is particularly big, and that much fois grad is very rich, but amazing.

For mains, we continued our love of duck. I enjoyed the confit with potato and wild mushrooms, my wife had the duck stew with cherry sauce. Both were fantastic choices.

For dessert, I enjoyed the creme brûlée, my wife a duo of ice cream.

The service and attentiveness here is some of, if not the best we have experienced in Paris.

Friendly, warm but not in your face. A perfect balance.

The total price was very reasonable, and we are strongly considering retuning before this trip to Paris is over. Total price including wine was €121

Tips:
Whilst a reservation here can be difficult to obtain, do try and get a later sitting. You might feel a little rushed if you eat a 6 or 6:30 sitting. There is definitely someone coming to sit in your table that night and you might get the feeling thorough the meal.
Don't eat before your visit. The portions here are very generous, and very rich in flavour. You want to be very hungry.

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
“Best value foie gras in Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

If you don't like foie gras or duck, don't read on. In the shadows of the Eiffel Tower, this restaurant has been operating for nigh on 22 years - with the same menu. A husband and wife team run this delightful restaurant/deli/shop and you're unlikely to find a warmer welcome in Paris. Countless people turned up on their doorstep relating stories of how many times they'd visited over the years. While some diners did speak French, patronage seemed overwhelmingly American and Chinese, all tucking into some of the best foie gras you'll get in Paris - certainly the most generous servings. Main courses revolve around duck, and their cassoulet (on a cool night, even in summer) was utterly delightful. Don't risk missing out or needing to be rushed through your meal - make a booking. The owners hate turning people away so do their best to accommodate walk-ins but you risk being turned around in about an hour - not long enough to savour this local gem.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“One of my favorites!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Lucky to find Au Petit Sud Ouest years ago and I am happy to say that I'm a regular. My favorites, the foie gras grand cru and the magret with cepes and pommes de terre! The owners, Christian & Chantal are such warm and welcoming hosts, and they always make me feel like a special guest! I bought my cousin there for dinner the first night of his visit and when I asked where he wanted to go the last night of his trip, he wanted an exact repeat of the first night... same meal and all! Cannot say enough nice things about Au Petit Sud Oeust!

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Best and most fun meal In Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed near the Eiffel Tower and walked to Au Petit Sud Ouest from our hotel. Walking in I loved how the doors were made of wooden wine boxes and corks, so much character. The husband and wife team are hilarious! I asked the man for his recommendation on what he thought was the best and he said; "my wife!" We had the mushroom salad, the fried fois gras with apples, the duck confit leg, duck breast and trio of creme brûlée. Holy DUCK! I don't even like mushrooms, these things could have made me switch religions. The fois GRAS was the best I've ever had and I'm a fois freak, both duck dishes were succulent and by the time we got to dessert I just wanted more duck. Creme brûlée cannot compare to the other food, absolutely phenomenal. We tried to go back but they were completely booked, book in advance and DO NOT miss this one!

Visited June 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“So ducking good...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have our "usual" place to eat out with local friends when we're in Paris, and it was with a little trepidation that we agreed to Au Petit Sud Oest as an alternative. And, boy, are we glad we did!
The service was excellent, and the prices fair. But, best of all, the food was exceptional. I have the duck confit (which was by far the best I have ever eaten) with thinly sliced potatoes and wild mushroom as a main course. The foie gras as a starter was perfect, and the dessert sublime.
This is a small bistro, and their speciality is duck...and foie gras. Don't go there expecting something other than these, or you may be disappointed. But if you're looking for the best duck ever, and the best quality foie gras, this is the place for you.
There is also a deli (which was pre-dates the restaurant) where one can purchase the best quality foie gras to take ho,. Don;t miss this place!