“I didnt actually stay here, but the reservation staff were awful” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #548 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Tel Aviv, Israel
“I didnt actually stay here, but the reservation staff were awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hi
I am planning on arriving in Paris in August and was set to book 2 rooms in this hotel via booking.com. Before booking I wanted to guarantee that the rooms would be adjoining. They recommended I directly contact the hotel. I did that and got two rote responses saying there were no more rooms. I checked again on the hotel website and on booking.com and once again a lot of rooms opened up, I even followed the process all the way to almost the end to see if maybe I would get a message saying nothing was available and time after time rooms were available. I don't know why they would mislead me or not want me at their hotel, but the process was very frustrating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Holiday Inn Paris Gare Montparnasse, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Elliott S,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am sorry for the unacceptable service you have received. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed for four nights while on holiday. Room size very good for Paris and comparable to similar class hotels in the UK. Bathroom good size and well equipped with bath and shower. WC separate. Beds large and comfortable. Air conditioning effective.

Location good for transport with many Metro and Bus lines passing through Gare Montparnasse which is a few minutes walk away. Good restaurants including Japanese and Chinese on the Rue de la Gaite as well as French within a few minutes walk. Excellent ice cream parlour at junction of Rue de la Gaite and Boulevard Eduard Quinet.

The gripes. I reported the shaver socket as not working on the Wednesday evening we checked in and it was not fixed by the time we left on the following Sunday. The lift requires a working door key to allow guests to go to their floor, our key had not been programmed before we were given it and we found ourselves locked in the lift, fortunately not for long, as a result. I also managed to wipe the key by putting my mobile phone in the same pocket as the key, stuck in lift a second time as a result.

Overall a very good hotel, friendly and helpful staff who spoke reasonable English.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HIPARGM, Directeur général at Hotel Holiday Inn Paris Gare Montparnasse, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear fkw1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.
We have taken the notes of your comments, to improve a better quality.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and staying with us, we are all looking forward to welcoming you again.

Kinds regard.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed for three days in June. Very happy with the hotel. Room size not huge but perfectly adequate. Bed very comfortable. Good bathroom with shower and bath. Excellent breakfast which big choice of quality food. Staff very helpful and friendly airconditioning excellent. Next to Gaite metro and close to Montparnasse and Edward quintet

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jeremy S,

We would like to thank you very much for your positive review about the Holiday Inn Gare Montparnasse.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay among us and that our level of service reached your expectations

Be assured that we are all looking forward to welcoming you back very soon

Best regards
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I decided to put 3 stars, because when I assess a hotel on tripadvisor, I look on 3- reviews to understand what people don't like, and see if it matters for me.

I often travel for business, and room service is something that I value a lot in hotels, because when you check in late, or worn out after hectic day, or work during the night, it is so convenient just to pick up the phone and get what makes you feel better. In this hotel the room service schedule is a bit weird: 12PM-3PM, 6PM-12AM on work days and 6PM-12AM on weekend (no luck for those who overslept breakfast). And it took hour and a half to deliver my order. I understand that many hotels don't have their own kitchen, and arrange the delivery from partner restaurant, but it was first time in my practice it took so long. For some time I thought they just forgot about me.
There is also no tea/coffe machine neither in the room no in the lobby. When I asked the front desk, they gave me a tea bags, and poured a cup from the boiler somewhere in their room. Thanks for that! (They first tried to microwave tap water, but I asked not to do it, or do it in such a way that I don't know about it, lol. It made me think where the water in the boiler came from, but whatever, it just feels better when you get your water from the big boiler). So, to get some tea - it was a quest.
What else. I couldn't make the phone work, so I had to walk downstairs when I need something.

Well, other than that, there is a good stuff too.
For it's money, it's a very good location, I must say. The attractions are close. The metro stop is right in front of the hotel doors. A bunch of cafes and restaurants are minutes away (actually some of them are seconds away).
Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. Every other review highlights it, and it was totally true for me. When I arrived they offered me a drink and brought it to the room (did I look bad? lol).
The room was clean, AC worked fine. Internet is complementary and good enough. The room is not so big, and WC (it was separate from the bathroom) might cause claustrofobia, but you don't expect much for this matter for the price, so it was totally fine.
I'm not a fan of two standard beds instead of one queen/king size, but I understand the use case for this set up, and I was alone this time, so it didn't bother me.
So, overall, for those who don't need in-hotel amenities, and value the location, it can be a very decent price/value ratio.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Holiday Inn Paris Gare Montparnasse, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear AlekseyGuryanov,

We appreciate that you took the time to leave a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. Thank you for your compliments regarding our location, staff and rooms.

On the other hand, it is very unfortunate that we were not able to provide you the typical high level of room service our guests deserve. Please accept our apologies if our room service didn't meet your expectations. Our objective is to provide the best customer care to each and every guest and we deeply regret that on this occasion we have failed to deliver.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We value you as a guest and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ljubljana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel has a great location right next to a metro station. Clean and quite spacious rooms. Very polite and helpful staff. Free wi-fi, worked fine most of the time. Good breakfast. I would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mat-Sl,

Thank you very much for your positive review about your recent stay among us
We are glad to read that you enjoyed our location and the services we provide

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Best regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. The room was very clean and well maintained and had a nice balcony. Bathroom with no bath, but did have a good large overhead shower. The hotel itself is very clean and has a good appearance. The hotel is very conveniently located right next to Gaite Metro and a very short walk to Gare Montnarpasse with all its surrounding bars and restaurants. There is free WIFI (ask for the code at reception), and a small mini bar with a minimum amount of drinks.

The staff were very friendly professional and helpful and the manager (Monia or Monica I believe), remembered my name and its seems everyone elses too!

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gizmo2005,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn Gare Montparnasse on TripAdvisor!

The entire staff is thrilled that you enjoyed their services.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Regards
Allentown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My brother and I were booked here for one night and we were pleased with the stay. The front desk staff was very accomodating and helpful. Everyone I spoke to at the front desk spoke English well so I didn't need to muddle through using my limited French. The room and beds were comfortable although the pillows were euro pillows (square) instead of the standard, rectangular size (a little thing that was easily remedied with a phone call). The bathroom was actually two rooms - one for the toilet and one for the shower and sink. This was good in the morning when we were both getting ready for the day. The location was very good for getting on to the metro - there's a stop right outside the entrance to the hotel - and Gare Montparnasse is about a 5-10 minute walk away. While the hotel isn't located near any of the more-famous sites of Paris, the surrounding neighborhood offered plenty of restaurants and cafes of various cuisines. I would definitely consider staying at this location again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Greg C,

Thank you very much for your comment on TripAdvisor about your last stay with us at the Holiday Inn Gare Montparnasse
We truly hope to see you back soon!

Best regards.

Been to Hotel Holiday Inn Paris Gare Montparnasse? Share your experiences!