“Overrated with very little charm” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Ciel de Paris

Le Ciel de Paris
33, avenue du Maine | 56ème étage, 75015 Paris, France (Montparnasse)
+33 1 40 64 77 64
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Le Ciel de Paris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,122 of 13,382 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Montparnasse
Paris, France
“Overrated with very little charm”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I live in Paris and took my parents from out of town for lunch on the recommendation of a blogger. Sad to say that I wish we had gone elsewhere. The view is the only thing that justifies making the track to the Tour Montparnasse, and the view is, as everyone says, quite splendid. Though we sat far from the window against the back wall, we were still able to take in the Eiffel Tower in the distance. With a better table, I am sure the experience would have been even more pleasurable.

And that is where things stopped being magical. We had the fixed price lunch set, sharing a chicken supreme, salmon pavé, and mini scallops cooked in cream. All of them were desperately lacking in flavor, reminding of much better versions I had at simple bistros around town for much less. I am not convinced that there was a chef overseeing the cooking, despite all the promotion speaking to the contrary.

The serving staff were inattentive and often engaged in other pursuits, such as laying out silverware for the dinner later in the day, instead of paying attention to the diners. Waiting to catch our server's attention was interminable, far more so than what is acceptable in what is already a slow city in the realm of restaurant service.

In between the drab decor, creased tablecloth, poor service, the terrible ambience of the neighborhood, and the rather high price, I can hardly recommend this establishment. On a positive note, the sorbet/glace we had for dessert was faultless. It wasn't enough to make it worthwhile, however.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, amazing view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We dined on a Friday night at 1900, we opted for the Grand menu (approx 115 euro per person) which ensures a table at the window, champagne and service charge. The view was amazing, the table perfect. Service was very good except for arrival where there was a queue at the hostess table due to a group without a booking wanting to wait for a table....instead of asking them to move to the side to allow other guests to pass there was a queue of people waiting and having to listen to the discussion for almost 10 mins.

Once seated though, the wait staff were excellent, our champagne flutes were never empty and the food was good. Whilst for the price the food may not have been excellent the view more than compensated for this. The lobster soup was great and the main dishes were also very good.

Recommended to do when in Paris! at least once.

• Visited April 2013
Athens, Greece
“Wonderful views, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We recently dined at Le CIel de Paris. Having read quite a lot about it, we had high expectations which were partially met. THe place undeniably has great views of the Eiffel Tower and the city of Paris, especially on a clear day. The decor has a retro/modern touch, but I expected to me more impressed. THe food was good and the menu we chose for 65Euros per person was quite good value. The only hick up was that although we had received confirmation both via email and sms, when we arrived there we were told that our reservation had been cancelled (noboby know by whom). Still, they managed to squeeze us in and so they should have as no cancellation was made from our part. Service was good and friendly, so overall I have to say that it was a pleasant experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fresno
“Don't get ripped off !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

It was a spontaneous decision to go and eat at this tower restaurant on the 56 th floor. The view is unbelievable but the menu is expensive. The food was good. The service was excellent from the table hand. Our waiter was a snob but polite. On the bottom of the menu it mentioned taxes and service charges in fine print stating that these additions were included in the price. When I received my bill the taxes and service charges were broken down to percentages. I wasn't 100 percent sure if the tip was already included so I asked my waiter - our head waiter if his tip was already included in the bill, he clearly, unhestitantly said "no". So I added a 20 percent tip on the 14 percent he was already going to get. I only realized this when I clarified this discrepancy with my hotel staff and another visitor and they both said that the waiter lied to me and took advantage
of a female tourist. The Best Western Monteparnasse was going to call the manager of this restaurant on my behalf to complaint about not being truthful to patrons. I would not recommend this restaurant due to their dishonesty. I got better food and honest service at another fine dinning restaurant the next night in Paris.

Michelle from Fresno, California

York, United Kingdom
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

After reading all the reviews, we decided to go for the early sitting at 7pm to avoid hanging around and also get a view of Paris in the light as well as the dark (the month of March gives this opportunity).

Food was good, view spectacular, service was good....

Very expensive...but as a one off for my wife's birthday, it was worth it.