“Complex Flavors” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Cocottes de Christian Constant

Les Cocottes de Christian Constant
135 Rue Saint-Dominique, 75007 Paris, France (Tour Eiffel / Invalides)
Website
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Indianapolis, IN
“Complex Flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I had been following a Parisian blog for about six months and Les Cocottes is her favorite restaurant...so when it is a local's favorite restaurant you have to try it...especially when it is right around the corner from your hotel, Londres Eiffel. It lived up to all of our expectations! It was a nice modern but still casual atmosphere with food that had such complex Flavors. I had the sea bass over mushroom risotto and my husband had the lamb shoulder. We both "fought" all night over who had the better meal. We will definitely go again if ever back in Paris.

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Sublime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed the bacon and poached egg salad and house made pâté coupled with a decanted red wine. We followed with the duck confit, foie gras and steak. Finally, we ended with the chocolate tart and fruit crumble. The service was attentive and friendly. A great little spot!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati
“Modern Twist on Old Style, Good Food, Decent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Big bar area, in fact, its probably half of the seating and its intended for eating primarily. As the name suggests, food is served in small 2 handled pots, I think they were iron if I'm not mistaken. I had the salade cesar, facon Ritz. Good not great, did not appear to have "real" chicken, but reconstituted chicken. Terrine de campagne was very nice and the Contre-Filet was good - pommes de terres were fabulous.

The issue I had is only partially an issue with Les Cocottes and a "soap box" issue for me so stop reading now if you're rant averse - especially if your vegetarian.

The cooking of steak is at best inconsistent anywhere, even in a Paris restaurant with a famous chef. The server told me they offered two cooking options for the Contre Filet I ordered at Cocottes: "a point" or roughly medium, or "bien cuit" which is well done.

In the U.S. I like a steak medium rare, which would be saignant in France, or rather by translation it would be in the area. Normally I find saignant to be closer to our definition of raw. So anyway I was happy ordering medium, figuring it would be close to my liking. It arrived well done - little or no pink. I didn't complain, I was hungry, it was still pretty good, and I ate it.

The american couple next to me ordered the same. They had the same reaction and I listened to the server provide the explanation while feigning that they would take it back, all the while telling them that the steak she had ordered was "a point" and correctly cooked. It's unfair to lay this on the Cocotte but I've heard it too many times. BUT this steak had NO PINK, there is not definition of medium be it Quebecois, French, English or American that says that medium/rose/a point has no pink.

To be fair, it was a thin cut, which was probably the reason for only offering two cuissons AND this is an argument that has many dimensions beyond my cooking knowledge.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Potatoes stuffed with Pigs Feet, Oh My”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I were walking the streets near the Eiffel Tower and stumbled upon this little jewel. The staff was gracious to two Americans who did not speak French. The two lunches with wine was 50 euros but worth it. I will go back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, England, United Kingdom
“A bit overpriced, but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This restaurant is very close to the Eiffel tower and therefore is mostly tourists. There is a line to wait outside until seats open, usually sitting at the counter. There are different things to try on the menu which was fun - I tried pigeon! However, it was a bit overpriced for the quality of food. It ended up costing us about £100.

Visited August 2013