“Awesome experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dans le Noir ?

Dans le Noir ?
51, rue Quincanmpoix, 75004 Paris, France (Les Halles)
+33 142779804
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #599 of 13,200 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Les Halles
Description: In the heart of Paris, Dans le Noir? Offers fresh and delicious food in pitch blackness. Your unexpected guides will serve you from their famous surprise menus and an array of fine wines. Rediscover your senses through texture, scent and flavor on this daring journey of discovery. Your evening will be full of conviviality, as the exciting and unexpected make you question the things you hold for certain. Full immersion in this sensual dining adventure will impress on you that a unique experience is worth a thousand words!
Miami, Florida
“Awesome experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am adventurous type and dining in a pitch black restaurant and being taken care of blind staff were quite an experience. While in Paris I made a reservation at Dans Le Noir for my brother's suprise birthday celebration. The reservation was at 8 p.m. but we decided to arrive half-an-hour early. When we arrived there were diners already lining up by the door. When we got inside the attendant checked us in and were instructed to place all of our belongings (purse, cell phones, cameras, umbrellas) in the locker and wait at the lobby. While waiting for our table we had a couple of drinks at the Bar (well-lit area) while eavesdropping to other patrons conversation about the place. Ten minutes later, the head waiter came in and explained to us what we were about to experience inside the dining area. She tells us that the servers are blind and we are going to dine in absolute total darkness. She then asked if we have any food restrictions and/or allergies that they should know about. Since this restaurant is known for their blind servers and surprise menu - it was kind of exciting not knowing what we are about to eat and it will only be revealed once diners are out of the dining area. Anyway, when our names were called the manager introduced us to our assigned waitress named “Radi.” Radi speaks both French and English. She was professional and nice. After exchanging pleasantries, she asked if we were ready to go inside. Then she instructed my brother to place his left hand on her shoulder, and I, placing my left hand on my brother’s. Then we started walking using each others shoulder as a guide towards the dining room. As we were walking Radi tells us in advance what was in front of us. When we finally arrived at our assigned table she pulled a chair on her left and asked me to sit. She then pulled another chair to her right for my brother. While seated, Radi explained to us that were on our table. She held my hand and guide me as to the location of my plate, fork, knife, and drinking glass. She did the same thing with my brother. She also tells us how to pour water on the glass by placing one finger on the lip of the glass, and once we feel the water hit our finger then it means the glass is almost full. Next, she explained the menus (a choice of 4 or 3 course menu) selection. While Radi was away getting our appetizer my brother and I started searching for the exact location of our cutleries. We also poured water in our glasses without any difficulties. While waiting for the food to arrive other diners kept coming in. Radi came back with the surprise appetizers. While we were eating my brother and I played food guessing game. Each time we take a bite we asked each other what were on our food plate (capers, tomatoes, eggplant and cheese with a slight vinaigrette). Fifteen (15) minutes later here comes Radi with three additional diners who joined our table and introduced to us. The two young couple were from Istanbul and their friend were from Paris. Ada sat next to me on the left and their friend sat next to my brother. As soon as they got settled, Ada were so lost about the whole idea and made so much commotions finding her own cutlery. She could not even find her drinking glass. At one point while trying to find her table napkin, she accidentally touched my boob! I was so shocked and screamed out of my lung – “hey you just touched my boob!" All of a sudden the whole dining room burst into laughter. After that episode it felt like everybody around the room loosened up and started having fun time with their own group.

While we were eating the group in our table played another guessing game. This time we tried guessing the age of each other through the sound of individual voice and also trying to figure out what were on your plate was fun games. This was also a unique opportunity to truly test your senses of taste and smell. However, I do realize that not everyone would be comfortable with this kind of expecially if you are claustrophic. As for the overall quality of food - It was average and overpriced but I still feel that it was money well spent. We left the premises satisfied and happy for the overall experience.
This experience that I certainly will NEVER forget.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Brussels, Belgium
“Terrible food and a wine scam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We were offered a dinner at Dans Le Noir in Paris as a birthday present. Did some read-up on the place and learnt that there was a full visibility bar where we could enjoy an aperitif before our total darkness experience. Turned up a few minutes before our 19:45 appointment and was told to wait a bit out in the street! Having waited outside for 10 minutes and having seen other couples go in and not being sent out again, we ventured in. The young girl at the check-in counter duly apologised and admitted she had forgotten about us. We ordered a glass of red and white wine as aperitifs at the bar. Never having had a lukewarm sweet white wine as an aperitif!! we asked for something different, which didn't go down well with the barman who suggested we should have made our preferences clear beforehand!! We ordered a three course surprise menu and had seen a bootle of red wine on the shelf in the bar which we would like with our meal. Not possible because the wine should also be a surprise. Their basic choice came at €28. We prompted the waitress to tell us that it was a "Luberon" and we opted for the next level up which came at €37 and that was all we should about our surprise wine. Our blind guide into the darkness was very friendly and competent and it quickly became clear to us how dependant we had become on her help and assistance. Managing a meal deprived of eyesight is quite a lesson in living with a disability. The meal itself then? Perhaps you expect your taste buds to be sharpened when deprived of the sense of sight? Well, the starter was a bland affair and it was difficult to keep the different tastes and textures on the plate apart. We both ended up with bits and pieces that were either tasteless or gave a feeling that it had already been chewed by someone else. Not nice! The main course was outright awful. Overcooked, boiled and tasteless meat that fell apart in threads impossible to chew. Cauliflower and other unspecific vegetables overcooked to the point of turning to mash! Dessert was large and very sweet. Good quality chocolate ice cream though. Back to the wine surprise. We didn't have the impression in the dark that we we drinking anything else but a very average open house wine, so when we were finally escorted out into the full visibility bar we decided to sneak out the wine bottle to have a closer look. So as we were presented with colourful photos and explanations of the meal we had just not enjoyed one bit, we had a look at the wine bootle which was a "Chinon". Wanting to pay our bill, we asked the manager which wine we had been drinking and he presented a €37 Saint-Joseph something which was recorded on the bill, upon which we remarked that that was not the wine we had been drinking. He then asked which wine we had been drinking and we answered a "Chinon". He didn't even bother to ask how we knew, but simply turned his head to the barman and asked the price of a "Chinon". Our bill was changed to reflect the correct entry level price of €28.
When you have to live as a blind person you rely on other people. It is a question of trust and confidence. When you enter a restaurant like Dans Le Noir you leave yourself in the hands of people you should be able to trust and have confidence in. This was certainly true for our blind guide, but sadly not for the management.

Manama, Bahrain
“Definetly my best and most surprizing dinning experience ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Definetly my best and most surprizing dinning experience ever!
This a true and unique dinning experience that will enhance and make you rethink how to truly enjoy a meal. You have to try the secret menu to be truly surprized.
I would definetly go there again and recommend anyone to experience it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warsaw, Poland
“One to remember, but not for the feint hearted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

There is something very special in this experience. You loose track of time, your spatial awareness is compromised and have to trust your other senses, because you cannot see anything. I enjoyed this experience very much. The food was tasty, but at times not easy to locate on the plate. You order the number of plates, not actual dishes, so the trick is also to try and guess what you are eating. Worth trying!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aalborg, Denmark
“I LOVE IT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

it was scary and crazy and amazing and thought giving. Blind restaruant, eating in the dark.
Everybody should give themselces this experience. We booked in advance, and had a very sweet waitress, but there was so much noise she couldt hear us and that is a bit complicated when you cant see the way to the toilet, exits etc.
The food was amazing, supreme wine and very nice people:)

Visited April 2012