“Loved the macarons!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pierre Herme

Pierre Herme
72, rue Bonaparte, 75006 Paris, France (Saint-Germain-des-Pres)
01 43 54 47 77
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Toronto, Ontario
“Loved the macarons!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Honestly, wasn't a big fan of macarons before. Tried some from Laduree before and was very sweet and just ok. So walked past Pierre Hermé and tried the hazelnut macaron. I just loved it, it was the best macaron I've ever had. Went back and got a dozen to take home!!!

• Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Imagination waning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Once upon a time we used to voyage unto Pierre Herme to be thrilled and amazed by the variety and quality of the macaroons. Either our tastes have changed, or their interest in surprising and delighting us has waned. There was a poor selection of the larger macaroons (we counted six rather beige' candidates). The liquorice/violet is still superb, but only available in bite size, and the others we tried (rose, passion fruit,chocolate,caramel,lemon) were all very average indeed. The Jardin Oriental was more cutting edge with a mixture of rose and other flavours, but still failed to thrill. There were far more cakes than we remembered, and these seem to have supplanted the wide variety of larger macaroons. We went to the flagship branch in Rue Bonaparte, close to San Sulpice. We had also visited the branch at Opera to find an almost identical situation. What a pity.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Canada
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We tried Laduree first, but Pierre Herme are the best! So fresh, so delicious! Took five boxes home, too bad they only last 4 days. Counting the days 'til I return!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“yuck!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The macarons are so overly sweet, they are a bit nauseating!
In my experience, Hermé cannot hold a candle to Ladurée.

Visited September 2012
Torrance, CA
“Just OK in my book”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Since Pierre Herme and Laduree are widely believed to have the best macarons in Paris and I had already tried Laduree multiple times in past visits, I had to try Pierre Herme to compare. Honestly, I came away pretty unimpressed. Granted, I could definitely tell these were a step up from your typical macaron you could buy just about anywhere else, but they didn't blow me away on my first taste the way Laduree macarons did. I tried a variety of seven different flavors, with caramel chocolate probably being my favorite of an overall lackluster group. Maybe I got the wrong flavors this round? I may try and give them another shot on my next trip but Laduree is still #1 in my book and Sadaharu Aoki just might be #2 now (more on them in another review).