“Wonderful relaxed evening of great food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Les Caves Saint Gilles

Les Caves Saint Gilles
4, Rue Saint-Gilles, 75003 Paris, France (Notre Dame / Marais)
01 48 87 22 62
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Les Caves Saint Gilles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,946 of 13,440 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Tapas
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Notre Dame / Marais
Avon, CT
“Wonderful relaxed evening of great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I'd dismiss the reports of bad service. We had a lovely meal of tapas at this busy, local restaurant on the edge of the Marais. Our food was delivered promptly and faster than we would have liked, but absolutely delicious. The mussels and other seafood was great especially the cod croquettes. We'd just been to Madrid so we had some comparison. If you want a little different food experience, this was certainly the place. Lots of folks eating late into the evening.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Decent Tapas...Abysmal Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Service was almost non existent. I sat at the bar as I was dining solo, and the bartender consistently would clear my empty glass and walk away without asking if I wanted another. I would then have to struggle to get his attention. It was the only unfriendly experience during my entire stay in Paris.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paris, France
“Can the service get any worse?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is was my second time to go to this restaurant, I guess the first time wasn't punishment enough. It's a very strange eating experience.

We were 9-people, the restaurant was practically empty, so where do they seat us, right in front of the noisy kitchen, I suppose to make it easy for the servers, so they don't have to schlepp very far.

In general, the food is OK, nothing to write home about, but the service and the complacent attitude is beyond belief. It took us forever to get water, much less our dishes, and we practically had to beg to pay. We had to chase our service around to get any attention, and again, it was only 1/3 full, if that. And, then an accident happened which I found extremely disturbing. A young man, maybe a waiter not working at the time, came in and starting shouting and scaring the patrons, he left, then reappeared. The second time he appeared he knocked down a glass, I can only assume he was high on something, the glass splattered all over the pathway of the customers on our side and the people in front of them. The owner or Maitre'd thought it funny?!?! It took them a good 20-minutes if not more to sweep it up. One couple had to step over all the broken glass, this was absolutely unacceptable. Then he reappeared again, and helped himself to a drink at the bar, and the maitre'd did nothing. So, I don't know what the relationship was, but surely he should be concerned about this violent man, but no.

It's a strange eating experience, the fried dishes were good, but how can you go wrong with fried food. Go at your own risk…

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“The strangest and worst dining experience of my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Without a doubt this was the strangest and most unpleasant dining experience that I have ever had.

We were openly mocked by the barman and his colleague while we ate. They made jokes about us and whispered/pointed while giggling like teenage boys.

The main barman pretended not to speak English and ‘accidentally’ ordered us a €19 dish instead of a €8 dish and then pretended not to know what we were talking about when we queried the bill.

When we picked up our coats and prepared to leave without paying because the experience was that horrendous, his English-speaking skills miraculously improved. We asked him why he and his colleagues were making jokes about us – his response was that my partner and I ‘did not have a sense of humour’.

Truly – this was the strangest experience I’ve ever had at a bar – and I paid rather a lot for it.

Please – avoid this place and spend your money elsewhere!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
london
“Worst Service in Paris”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My friend and I wandered in off the street for a glass of wine and a snack before dinner. At first the barman just seemed a bit quirky - tried to up sell us to mojitos and acting (?!) disappointed when we went for wine. When asked, he recommended the most expensive wine by the glass and then became more annoyed when we clarified our drinks order which he'd gotten wrong. Annoyed is kind of an understatement - he did so in a bizarre, mocking way - telling us he wasn't crazy giving us really strange looks. Next he tried to up sell us on our tapas and acted as if he didn't understand what we actually wanted, despite it being clearly listed on the menu.

The food came out (which was really tasty) and the whole time we sat there, him and one of the waiters stood there making faces and laughing over my friend's shoulder. Unbelievably rude and really uncomfortable.

Before we left I asked if we had done something to upset him - which made him even more strange and arrogant.

The food was great but this guy was definitely the worst experience we had in Paris.

Carry on 200 meters and you will reach Cafe Des Musees - do yourself a favour and go here instead.

• Visited May 2013