“My favorite chef.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pierre Gagnaire

Pierre Gagnaire
6,rue Balzac, 75008 Paris, France (Champs-Élysées)
01 58 36 12 50
Neighborhood: Champs-Élysées
Portland, Oregon
“My favorite chef.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

It is hard for me to be objective since Chef Gagnaire is my favorite chef. I have eaten at Twist by Pierre Gagnaire 12 times, but this was my first time at his Paris restaurant. I know that Chef's food can be very polarizing and challenging. Have I liked every single course I have ever eaten---no. But I can count on one hand the number of courses I have disliked, and I enjoyed every single course that I experienced at his restaurant on 6 Rue Balzac.

He changes his menu seasonally, so what I ate in early December is probably long gone. But just order the tasting menu and enjoy.

Beyond the food, what I really enjoyed about eating at his Paris restaurant is the "vibe." I was the first one seated, and the restaurant was empty for the first hour. But by 9:00pm or so, the place was full and there was so much conviviality that permeated the dining room. I had eaten at other 3 Michelin starred restaurants on my trip but the others seemed more staid.

It was also nice that Chef Gagnaire was not traveling and was in the kitchen the night I was there. I had met him 4 times in Las Vegas and he is always very gracious. Chef is the consummate host---he always visits every table to say hi and to chat for a minute or two.

• Visited December 2012

• Greek first
“Mad scientist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

If you are a foodie, you know about Pierre Gagnaire and his food/chemistry relation. This dining experience was no different. 3 Michelin star restaurant, and it did not disappoint. Servers were friendly, and spot on. Everything was professional from wine, water refills, to setting the plates/silverware in front of you. Service was excellent. The decor was classy, but would not expect less from a restaurant of this stature. Now, onto the food. PG is the mad scientist. An opportunity like this, you have to go tasting menu. They had a seafood theme that evening, but for me, everything tasted as if it was fresh from the sea. Pure, and natural...as if really it was from the sea. It was very different from anything I have ate, but not a bad different...a very unique different. I could taste the flavours, and they were strong, but not overbearing. I would say it was very creative, as the dishes were plated well, and as other stated, automated as their was no long gaps in between dishes. If you are open minded, and actually take the time to think about the flavours and complexity of the dishes, this restaurant is for you. I'm not saying my palate is better than others, but to truly enjoy PG's dishes, you must actually think about the flavours to really appreciate what he is doing. It's like art, some will get it, some won't. Really reminds of the movie "Ratatouille" of all the different flavours in unison. The only drawback for me...this could just because we flew in, and were tired to begin with...but at the end, the meal seemed a bit long as dessert was served, then petite fours, and then chocolate desserts from the box. I could see what PG is trying to accomplish from having the full dining experience, so I will blame this on myself for being tired. Overall, go if you want to see and taste art that is edible, but go with a heavy wallet, as when you leave, that wallet will be a bit lighter. PG is definitely the mad scientist of the culinary world, but only you can judge if the meal was worth it or not as you will either get it, or won't. I got it...

• Visited October 2012
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Art in a plate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Had the pleasure to eat there for my birthday diner, it had been a while since I wanted to experience Mr Gagnaire's restaurant and I was not disappointed! Service is first class, as one would expect in a 3 Michelin star restaurant, servers were friendly, professional but not stuffy. The food is just amazing, the tasting menu is a great way to discover the chef's food; dishes come one after the other with very little wait(great things as there are many dishes coming your way,!). Items are creative are delightful, you can tell there are many, many hours of research and trials behind every single plates served. The chef even changed all the seafood dishes(allergies) on the menu for me and I never felt it was a problem for any of the staff in the room( not cheap switches, but completely different items to accommodate with my allergy)
Prices are high but you get what you pay for.

Visited January 2013
Paris, France
“Really artistic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The cuisine is very different to anywhere else it is like an artist at work its like you want to put it in my bag and take it home and put it on the wall
We were here for lunch so no wine. But you can taste the the food better

• Visited January 2013
“An experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had the degustation menu and it was such a wonderful experience to be presented with each of these individually crafted and unique dishes. It was fantastic to be with a great group of people sampling and talking with each other. Needless to say the service was fantastic. It's a great outing for those who love food and love to talk about food over food.

• Visited January 2012