“Updating an old tradition” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maxim's

Maxim's
3,rue Royale, Paris, France (Champs-Elysees)
01 42 65 27 94
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night Food, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Champs-Elysees
Sao Paulo, SP
“Updating an old tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Many years, maybe more than 20 years without going to Maxim´s. A very nice surprise, the same decoration very well maintained, very good food, large wine card at competitive prices, excellent service from reception till the very end. The only negative remark: for such a good place there were just a few customers, more people would have given more "ambiance". Let´s continue to spread the word: AN EXCELLENT PLACE TO GO!!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Marc-Henri C, Responsable relations publiques at Maxim's, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Hello,
Thank you for your nice feedback.
Sorry for few people that night. no luck you did not come the days before or after when we had a lot of people.
Unfortunatly, we never know the day quiet or fully packed!
Hope to see you in the next future.
Best regards.
Marc-Henri for Maxim's

WI
“The food and service were wonderful, as was the chanteuse but...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Maxim's is a true wonder, a worthy artifact of a bygone era that should be cherished. The food and service were wonderful, impeccable even, as was the smoky voiced chanteuse. The downstairs dining room is a gem of a Beaux-Arts space that looks as if it has been maintained properly and not ruined by the misguided renovations of the 1990s that destroyed so many architectural gems. The only qualm my husband and I had about our experience at Maxim's was the chanteuse's use of a Karaoke machine. I can imagine other known musicians like myself, having gone to Maxim's and finding the use of it irritating. There must be dozens of lovely young pianists studying collaborative piano in Paris who could play standards well, that Maxim's could hire, and certainly should be able to afford. To have such a superb kitchen, dining space, and front of house staff, but subvert the experience with something as obnoxious as a Karaoke machine is a misstep. If it were up to me, I might even trade sets with art songs (Debussy and Faure?). Something else about the machine’s use and the front of house makes me suspicious of the “marketing” of the place (for tourists and the curious), rather than the fine restaurant it actually is. When I think about how the place and food could speak for themselves, a proper accompanist for the wonderful singer, perhaps slightly less “commercial” musical choices, and bit less artificiality from the host (although he is the essence of charm), and Maxim’s could be a place to return to year after year for even the most discerning foodie.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Marc-Henri C, Responsable relations publiques at Maxim's, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“What an amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We celebrated my father's 75th birthday here and we had an amazing experience. The planning was wonderful, the night was special and the staff was super kind and attentive. There was a pianist playing and the restaurant itself was beautiful. I was not sure that the place would live up to my father's memories or expectations but the entire family was amazed by the service, food and fun we had that night. Thank you.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Dinning for a Special Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

As always has been, we was received by Marc-Henri, and he already knows who we are. I just want to let you know that my first time in Maxims was in 1985, when it was one of the most hard-to-find reservations. I had to make it since 3 months in ahead. As you guess, everything has changed, inclusive prices has dropped.
Since Maxims changed owners, it becomes a different kind of restaurant.
Prices are average for a good restaurant, this week we dinner in 7 different restaurants and almost every one has the same prices.
For our surprise they has in the menu a "TURBOT" fish, if not the most delicious fish int earth, is one of them. We have payed for this fish a higher price in America, than in Maxims.
In a few words you should include one dinner at Maxims in your visit to Paris.
The only thing that we missed, as is has been since they change owner, is the crowded room and the serving at same time for all the tables.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Evergreen, Colorado
“Like a Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had booked our wedding anniversary dinner at Maxim's four months in advance, and were told that they would be giving us a special dessert in celebration of it. Not only did they remember to do so, but they gave us the best table in the room and announced to everyone that was there that night that it was our anniversary as they played Mendelssohn's Wedding March as they brought out an unbelievable delicious pear and chocolate confection with silver sparklers spouting from the top! Afterwards, we were invited to dance by the stage while the singer sang 'As Time Goes By' to us, one of our most favorite songs. Maxim's did everything to ensure that our anniversary was the most special night of our trip to Paris, from the excellent waitstaff, the delicious food, and the gorgeous Belle Epoque environment of the beautifully appointed dining room. We were transfixed. We will most certainly be coming back to Maxim's!