“Authentic French Food - Great Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Volant

Le Volant
13 rue Beatrix-Dussane, La Motte Picquet, Paris, France (Montparnasse)
01 45 75 27 67
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Le Volant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #264 of 13,462 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Montparnasse
mci
“Authentic French Food - Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Le Volant Restaurant was recommended to us by a wine shop near our hotel. It is a very old restaurant and now owned by Basques who added some sports memorabilia, giving the place the feel of a sports bar, but supposedly they kept the former menu. We reserved by phone for the same day. The dining room is small and dark, but charming. Our delightful waitress, Camilla, spoke excellent English to help us through the menu without us having to use our translator book. The Oeuf Cocotte avec Champignons and Bacon alone is worth the trip. Served in a tiny copper sauce pan, every bite is a pleasure! The Beef Burgundy was a disappointment; the sauce tasted artificial although the beef itself was tender. One of their specialties for dessert is the rice pudding, which was wonderful. I would go again to try other dishes!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Ampthill
“Good food but flies everywhere!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good points were the food was mainly very good. We had fois gras (a bit too much beetroot mixed in) which was ok as was the rabbit terrine. Nothing special. For mains the boeuf bourgignon was fantastic.
The problems came with the steak. I ordered medium-well and was told by the waitress 'chef will cook it medium and then see if you like it'! It came out dripping in blood which I didn't want or order! Total joke and had to be cooked again.
Another bad point was we arrived at the empty restaurant, chose a table and was then told we could only sit in 1 area.
The worst point is the restaurant is full of small flies. The waitresses do not think this is an issue however and said it was ok to eat bread that flies land on. If this is the standard in the restaurant then I dread to think what the hygiene is like in the kitchen.
So, great boeuf bourgignon but we'd never step foot in this unhygienic place again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We happened upon this restaurant due to a recommendation from Hotel Eiffel Seine, where we were staying. We enjoyed it so much the first time that we went twice in our five day stay!

Firstly, the food was fantastic; typical rustic, French cuisine - from the terrine, the gazpacho, to the mains and sides.

Secondly, the service is really good too. We don't speak any French, besides the fundamentals, and I'm not sure the restaurant gets a lot of non-French customers (most of those when we were there on both times spoke fluent French), but they were more than tolerant.

The images of the food I have attached speak for themselves. But I also thought the food was incredibly good value. I believe it cost us about 100 euro each visit, including wine, and entree/main, for two people.

This is genuinely a place I will go back to when I next get the opportunity to go back to Paris, and was one of our highlights.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paris, France
“Excellent in many regards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

10 years ago I used to go there a lot. First because it's rare to find a restaurant that masters the essentials of French cuisine like this. Second because of that family feeling, with the two crazy waitresses, that was the trademark of the place. Then the place was sold and, thinking I didn't care much from the "Basque" side that the place was developing, I hadn't come back in a while. Having done so recently, I must say that the quality has not changed a bit. The new menu pays homage to the old restaurant in more than one way. They have kept most of the good recipes, and added some more. Servings are generous. Service is good and nice. I am very pleased that the new owners didn't buy this restaurant just because they needed a place. The respect they showed to the original earned mine, as well as my gratitude for the continuation of these French traditional recipes, so rarely found with that level of quality.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Singapore, Singapore
“Great little lunch spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were wandering around Paris, decided to ask TA what was good around and this was at the top of the list in 400m around us!

Went in and was seated by cherry staff, no airs, all smiles, polite, spoke english to us (a relief!)

There were quite a few tourists there (as were we!) but mostly local...

I had the whole trout and the wife had the beef bourguignon... both were FANTASTIC good value and tasted absolutely fantastic... food quality was one of the best we've ever had, but in a pub!!

I think we spent like 40Euros or less...

TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!!