“A little walk down memory lane” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Rubis

Le Rubis
10 rue du Marche-Saint-Honore, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,906 of 13,456 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Neighborhood: Louvre / Place Vendôme
Neighborhood: Louvre / Place Vendôme
Los Angeles
“A little walk down memory lane”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

My ex and I had stumbled on Le Rubis more than a dozen years ago in that 10 am non-service hour during early August when Paris was literally deserted. We were exhausted bumbling around and the husband and wife owners could not have been more gracious in rustling us up cafe cremes and toasted baguettes even though this is in every essence an old time wine bar. What I most remembered from that trip was my ex's pale expression coming back from the 1 centime pay toilette - it was a squat toilette :) ah the beauty of international travel!!! On subsequent world trips, she realized that Le Rubis squatter was a luxurious one.

Fast forward to 2012 and a dozen trips to Paris later, I got nostalgic for an old time wine bar and that squat toilette and went on a mission to find them again. After numerous Parisian wine bars and 2 years later - success!!! Mid-June was busy this year, more touristy than I have seen it in a long time and it took effort to avoid the masses and Le Rubis was a good place to do that even 2 blocks away from the Louvre. I was so happy to find this place again that I went all out at lunch - a heap of rillettes, a half carafe of rose (too hot all summer to drink anything else), whatever sausage was on special, pear tarte, eau de vie and cafe - all by ecstatic myself. The food and wine were basic but it was nostalgically so!

And after all that, yes the long awaited toilette! It is amazing but nothing had changed about that squatter except that the 1 centime lock was gone. I can only assumed that after 14 yrs they had to change that loo and chose to keep it the way it and the rest have been for 60 yrs and thank goodness for that!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Great time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

A friend from Paris recommended this very small wine bar. It was fun. Very close quarters! Met the people next to us from Amsterdam and had fun talking to them. Service was not very friendly but we had a great time.

Visited November 2012
Maine
“Rare, authentic bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We learned of this delightful,authentic bistro from a Parisienne. It certainly is a well kept secret, although busy and crowded at lunch with Parisians. The food is authentic Auverngais cooking. The wine is superb. Madame, the owner's wife was welcoming and helpful with the blackboard menu. We come to Paris regularly. Rarely have we had a meal in a bistrot as delicious as this. Simp,e home cooking. Convivial atmosphere. We lingered with friends over coffee to savor the experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento, California
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We walked and walked trying to decide where to have lunch after our crazy morning at the Louvre. Everywhere was packed and looked really expensive. We walked right by this place and got to the end of the next block and decided it looked like the best option. I am so glad we did. They sent us up a tiny staircase to a tiny dining room where there were a few other groups seated. The waitress came by and showed us the other people's food since the only menu was a chalkboard in French and we obviously couldn't quite decipher all of it. My husband and brother both ordered the special, which she had showed us and it was amazing. I ordered a salad (trying to save my appetite for our duck feast later) and while it was good, I wished I had the lentils! This is what I always imagined real French cuisine would be: really simple, but really tasty. We had some of the house wine and it made for one of the most memorable meals of our trip.

Visited September 2012
“everything i thought paris would be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This was a lovely little cafe style restaurant and wine bar. It is nestled between lots of trendy and expensive looking restaurants full of office workers in suits and succeeds in being everything that they aren't.

The food was very cheap with a special which changes everyday. It feels like proper home cooked local food made with no fuss and served very simply. It tasted amazing! I got the impression that most of the people in there were locals who go there everyday for a cheap lunch! There was a huge selection of wine of varying prices.

The owner seemed very welcoming of us even though we obviously weren't local. I would advise though to only go there if you have a small knowledge of French. No English was spoken here!

This is the perfect place to go if you want to experience a slice of old style France.

• Visited July 2012