“Confusing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Ferme St-Simon

La Ferme St-Simon
6, rue de St-Simon, Paris, France (Tour Eiffel / Invalides)
01 45 48 35 74
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
La Ferme St-Simon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #792 of 13,870 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
London, United Kingdom
“Confusing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A restaurant with a history that entices a diner to try it, this established eatery is elegantly decorated and inviting. It is perfectly positioned close to Notre Dame and St. Germaine.
The highest praise is directed at the staff. Our Server was simply outstanding and attentive.
The menu reads well BUT is style over substance.
We ordered an aperitif each which took an age to arrive. In fact the amuse bouche arrived ahead of it and it was not appetising.
Our Server suggested we try the signature starter of Fois Gras pate and Hot combination served with fig confiture that he assured us was prepared on the premises. We did so.
I was good but far from earth shattering - and at 22 Euro a serving, not good enough.
To follow I ordered the saddle of lamb (pink) served with vegetables and boiled potato in garlic butter.
My husband ordered a filet steak (blue) served with a mushroom stuffed fondant potato and sliced mushroom.
The kitchen confused the cooking of each so they were prepared the wrong way around. We had no time to send them back so we swapped dishes (unacceptable, to be honest - you should be served the meal you order).
The beef was tasteless as was its sauce. I had to season it myself. The mushrooms were decidedly slimy.
My husband's lamb was still baa-ing and, whilst he loves rare food, he does not love rare lamb.
I ordered the Cafe Gourmand - I love them. A small shot of espresso with a tiny taster of desserts. The chocolate souffle was perfection. Lemon sorbet in what I believe was Eau de Vie - delicious. A small chocolate tart and a pistachio marshmallow completed what was the best dish we ate.
My husband had only 1/2 bottle of wine (I refrained from drinking) so a bill of 160 Euros, for this lunch, was very high.
It's an OK place but suffering, I believe, from Tourist Syndrome which only every leads to a restaurant ending up with bad food visited by people who don't really know, or care, what they are eating.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
London
“Good food, even better sevice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This restaurant was recommended quite last minute by the hotel my girlfriend and I were staying at. The food was excellent if a little pricey - but then again what isn't pricey in Paris!!? What really made the visit here for my girlfriend and myself was the fantastic service. Our waiter was not only attentive but very passionate about the food and the restaurant which is something I found quit rare nowadays! I didn't get his name but he was a Tunisian gent and a absolute credit to the establishment.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Feel at home in a Paris restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was the first one in and probably one of the last out, and I was alone. Staff made me feel very comfortable and welcome. The food was excellent, but a little pricey. Will definitely go back again!

Visited November 2012
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“I hate this review! It is so "neutral"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a nice restaurant----not Earth shattering but good. We didn't have reservations but they found us a table in the back of the restaurant. I thought we were being buried in the back as the establishment was not crowded----I was wrong! The restaurant was overflowing with patrons within an hour. My wife and I had the frog leg appetizer and they were impeccable (I really mean GREAT!!). Our entree's were the scallops and the beef with foie gras. Both were delicious but possibly not "inspired". Still a good restaurant with delicious food. Somewhat pricey but within the normal range, the wines were very well priced. Not terribly difficult to find and in a fine neighborhood.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tel Aviv
“It is not the same anymore - except for the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We used to eat in the Ferme Saint Simon for many years, and it was, as the French say, "Impecable". One December 28th we dined there agian and, apparently, the ownership has changed hands. The cutlery wasn't silver any more. The rolls were dry (made the day before?). The "selle d'agneau was overdone and dry. Servie was kind but not the same. and the end , so clled "Mont blanc" a classical French desert usually made of chestnut puree with creme fraiche on top, was allegedly enhanced with wiskey, sickenigly sweet and no taste of chestnuts at all. Just sticky sweet goo.
Even the reprduction of an Archimboldo was removed. It was brilliantly elegant, and now only a poor substitue.
What a pity. But the price, obviously, remained the same...

• Visited December 2012