“Wonderful evening” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Astrance

L'Astrance
4 rue Beethoven, Paris, France (Passy)
Website
Neighborhood: Passy
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We arrived early (730) by mistake after taking the Metro over from the Marais where we were staying. It was drizzling mildly and we found a skinny, bearded man sitting on the steps to the restaurant (who later turned out to be the sommelier). He told us that they were not open until 815, so we walked over to the Eiffel Tower, (just across the river) for a drink.

We returned at 830 (our actual reservation time) and found we were only the 2nd party to arrive. We were nicely seated and the evening really began. I would say that the service is really excellent as would be expected from a 3 Michelin star establishment. At the same time, it is quite relaxed, friendly and you can really come in a nice shirt and pants. Only a couple of people other than the staff were in suits. The atmosphere was trendy and minimilist.

The food itself was on the whole quite good, but as others have said, some dishes missed the mark. Others were superb. Overall, it is quite adventuresome. I would say honestly, that there some might feel that the food at some other establishments such as L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is better. However, it really is a wonderful overall experience. It depends on if you want a stunning experience or simply excellent food. Lastly, the price for the evening, including a pricey French Sancerre was still quite on budget. Alinea ( in my hometown of Chicago) is more adventuresome in my opinion, but that said, L'Astrance is quite interesting and many dishes did surprise.

Overall, the best experience we have had recently in Paris (including several other 2 star and one star establishments).

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Springdale, Utah
“top of Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recommend the gastro menu (120 euros) in which the chef let express his creativity which allows him won his third star. It really is the restaurant steadily rising. Reservations are more than 1 month in advance. This is a culinary experience that prépare.Chaque season, Astrance changes its menu tasting and everyone runs! For the pleasure of the senses, awaken your taste buds a real wonder. Delicious flavor, a sommelier outstanding is sublime! In any event this is an exceptional place to Paris
Ask the mezzanine for lovers.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Excelente!! We are foodies. So when travelling we always chose a special restaurant. This time was Lastrance. An outstanding restaurant. Impeccable service, excellent food. Pricy, but was worth it any penny..I would highly recommend and will go again!

• Visited March 2013
Rochester
“Pricey but Worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Having booked a few days in Paris as a treat, we started thinking about having an extra special dining experience while we were there. We did some research and L'Astrance appeared time and again as one of the best restaurants, not just in Paris, but in the world. I called up hoping to book for lunch just a few days before we travelled and was told very politely, but not entirely surprisingly, that there were no tables and that most people book about 6-8 weeks in advance. When I was asked if I wanted to go on the waiting list, I gave my name and number and thought I'd never hear from them again. Two days into our trip, the phone went and we were offered a table for lunch. When we arrived, the place seemed very low-key, with staff hovering attentively around very few tables. We were seated, offered an aperatif, had our coats whisked away and two delicious taster dishes delivered in seconds. The menu was explained to us and we opted for the Euro110 menu (cheapest for lunch is Euro70). A succession of wonderful dishes was delivered to us and we couldn't believe the flavours, the presentation, the entire experience. Our wine waiter was excellent serving just enough wine each time to ensure the wine stayed cold; bread appeared as if by magic every time my husband finished his! It was amazing! We enjoyed every course which was delivered and explained to us, mostly with much humour and friendliness and despite the individual dishes seeming to be quite small, we were soon full because there were so many of them (at least 7). We were shown truffles and asked if we wanted to try a truffle dish, which we did and it was fantastic. Never have my taste buds been bombarded with so many wonderful flavours, such succulent meat, such perfection on a plate. In summary, I would say that this dining experience was the best I've ever had and probably the best I'm ever likely to have. If you have the chance to go to L'Astrance I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed and if I go back to Paris, I'd certainly be very tempted to go back and do it all again!

• Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Merci”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

One of my favorite places in Paris. I know good food and wine when I see it....this is one of those places where you come to sit, relax and enjoy the whole French delight dinner experience. Reservation a must. Top notch service; highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012