“Best meal of my life!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Arpege

L'Arpege
84,rue de Varenne | Dfsdf, 75007 Paris, France (Eiffel Tower / Invalides / Palais-Bourbon)
01 45 51 47 33
Neighborhood: Eiffel Tower / Invalides / Palais-Bourbon
Escondido, California
“Best meal of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I must say having lunch at Arpege on the 26th of November was a peak experience. Never have I tasted such beautiful looking and harmonious tasting food in my life. For me, this was a menu that was a celebration of taste. I loved how present all of the herbs were but in perfect balance. The service was highly skilled and perfect for us as they were friendly, unpretentious, and VERY patient (5Americans with an endless stream of questions). I am a vegetarian and I am so appreciative that a master chef with the skill of Chef Passard have given us food-loving vegetarians such a tremendous gift. I am very grateful. The sommelier's suggestions were perfection (even if he is for the Paris Padres) We love our Traditional French picnic knife and will bring it to every picnic from now on. I went back the next day to pick up my signed copy of his cookbook which I'm confident will change the way I cook. . If you have the means and you love food, a meal at this restaurant has my highest endorsement for a Paris lifetime experience! It certainly was for me.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“If you have the money to spend ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Reviews of Arpège tend to be extreme, either utterly superb or downright awful. "Utterly superb" is valid, we have found on several occasions, so long as you accept three provisos:

1. It is very expensive. So, unless £400 a head is petty cash, go for lunch and choose the seasonal menu. 2. They call the shots. The seasonal menu is laid down and comes in a seemingly never ending succession of small dishes. If there is something you positively dislike, it can be changed or modified, but essentially you are in their hands. 3. You must like vegetables. The menu is not vegetarian, and all dishes have that excellence that three Michelin stars would lead you to expect, but it is in his treatment of vegetables that the art of Alain Passard soars above all that of his confrères.

The excellence of the cuisine is in the subtlety of the detail rather that in innovative sensation. The staff are friendly and clearly proud to belong. The atmosphere is one of muted tones and hushed appreciation.

Bangkok
“White truffles and seafood - the makings of a great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

After a disappointing first course, the fresh fish and white truffles were nothing short of divine. Alas, no time for dessert which is a pity. The Chef came across and gave us a welcome, the maître de was excellent and the service staff extraordinary. Came away convinced that it warrants another visit at dinner time - strongly recommended!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were fully expecting to love our dinner here; sadly, we did not. The food was fine but not particularly inventive and the prices are ridiculous. We have dined at three star Michelin restaurants all around the world and we know and expect the meals to be expensive. We have no problem with this at all however the food and service at L'Arpege just didn't meet our expectations. We'll give it another try at some point and hope we'll like it better next time.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Business lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Firstly, I must point out that I was taken our for lunch to L'Arpege so I had the pleasure of not looking at the final bill nor did I see a menu with prices.

We got through twelve courses in three hours. There was no red meat with a Chicken main course (that was paraded whole through the restaurant) - there was also a squid dish mid-way through. Every dish seemed to feature something from 'the garden', which I later learnt referred to three individual gardens littered around the country.

Particular highlights from the meal included a trio of delicate, vegetable filled ravioli with mushroom consommé, a risotto made from celeriac root instead of rice and delightful honey soufflé filled with chocolate (the honey was from their city hives of course)

I must say, the petit fours were divine - the raspberry macaroon is up there with the best I have had

Service was attentive and unobtrusive. We were a table of six (largest table in the restaurant) and we were often approached by a team when serving us. I can't comment on the wine list as we were being treated by a Champagne house so we drank Champagne throughout!

At the end of the meal we were presented with a knife emblazoned with the restaurant logo and the year. A perfect keepsake to remember a great experience