“Special Occasion” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Helene Darroze

Helene Darroze
4 Rue d'Assas, Paris, France (Luxembourg)
33-142220011
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Helene Darroze is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,949 of 13,373 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Luxembourg
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Special Occasion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

In Paris for a romantic long weekend and visiting Helene's restaurant was a real highlight. We ate upstairs in the lovely formal dining room. We chose the 4 course set menu including wines. As noted before the quantity is good so you will definitely not be hungry at the end! Service was very good, discrete but friendly. Highlights definitely the fois gras and the lobster. Main meat dish was sweetbreads and whilst delicious I can imagine would not be to everyone's taste. Overall a special night. Not the very best restaurant I have been to but right up there.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Quiet & Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We opted for the lunch tasting menu. 2 appetizers, one main dish, dessert. At 2:00PM we were the last couple to dine. No music, prior to everyone else leaving, everyone was talking in library voices (whispering). Upstairs, I felt their was no ambience. Downstairs appears more lively. The food was delicious, every last bite. We were charged for a 1904 Armagnac, 40 euro, not the 1964 Armagnac for the year I was born, which we actually drank and took a picture of. Instead of altering the bill, we chose to have 2 glasses of a later year. Anyways, we had several wonderful waiters who tended to our every need, thank you, enjoyed this very much, worth every euro!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paris, France
“Better go for Famine before Feast...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Very lovely dinner Chez Héléne two nights ago.
Decor and service up to the best standards.
Food quite interesting.
Only a tasting menu is served.
And the food was realy quite different, and also quite delicious.
They started us off with a signature Southern France cured ham, along with delicious focaccia type bread, very tasty cheese puffs, and a spiced butter to die for (I usually don't like butter!)...
We filled up on that, and unfortunately, things then got serious.
Her signature Oscietra caviar, served over a bed of minced oysters, with a very interesting white bean velouté, was a huge hit with three out of four guests.
The foie gras that followed got everyone's thumbs up however, as did a truly incredible sweet onion "soup", for want of a better word, concoction.
I could have passed on the next course, a potato mixture in a ravioli pastry, not bad, but not great. None of us were really enthusiastic.
The following scallop dish was however a gateway to heaven, incredibly good!
The lobster tail that followed was divisive. Mine and another guest's were cooked to perfection, and absolutely delicious. The other two were a bit on the raw side :-(
The lamb was a huge disappointment for me, as stuffed with kidneys and served with sweetbreads. Offal meat is disgusting to me, but my husband is a huge fan of sweetbreads, so he ate all of ours, with great gusto...there is no accounting for taste!
We passed on a beautiful looking cheese charriot.
Desserts were a bit strange, the lime with chocolate a bit too acidic for my taste, then again, by then I was very full!
Not inexpensive...Over Eur 1000 for four, with granted, Champagne to start, and three bottles of wine...
Oh, and yes, we all managed to roll home!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Helene - hire more staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived, were offered an aperitif which we declined, we asked for the wine list which we were given, and that was it for 20 minutes! No waiter would catch our eye, mostly because there were few people serving. Finally I managed, we complained bitterly, the very last thing we like to do, most especially when we are out with friends for a carefree evening, and from there on the service was excellent. But we will never return. We had the smallest number of dishes allowed - the only choice you are given is the number of courses, plus you can specify any allergies or dislikes, but that is all. The portions were generous, the food rich, the dishes inventive, extremely well balanced with each ingredient holding its own, and everything was very fresh. The only flat-out gastronomic disappointment was the final dessert, which was uncreative. I should add that although we are American we do speak passable French and our guest was a sophisticated French national, so the poor service was not an anti-foreigner thing, simply the result of insufficient staff. Perhaps the chef is trying to save money by understaffing. Seems to me a poor choice if she wants the restaurant to survive long term.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Incredible Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

While this is restaurant is on the very expensive side, it is a great venue for a special celebratory dinner. My wife and I were celebrating our 10th anniversary with a week in Paris and went to Helene Darroze on April 10th based on a recommendation from a friend in Paris. While not all of the food was to our liking, the overall experience was superb. Service was well choreographed and the sweet onion soup was absolutely devine. My wife and I both loved it. I was also a big fan of the duck foie gras and the lamb and sweet breads were excellent. It was a wonderful, romantic 3.5 hour dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere