“A meal I will always remember” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Paul

Chez Paul
22,rue de la Butte-aux-Cailles, Paris, France (Gobelins)
01 45 89 71 64
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8,780 of 12,477 restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Gobelins
Austin, Texas
“A meal I will always remember”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Order the Steak Au Poive - medium rare. It comes with amazing potatoes. For dessert I got the little fried balls of dough, slathered in chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream. It was epic.

The waiter was rude and condescending. I was by myself and he clearly served his french friends first. He was annoyed that I didn't speak french. Get over it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

21% Recommend
in Paris
“Nice interior”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Chez paul has a nice interior compared to other Butte aux Cailles restaurants, which give it a little bit of a boudoir ambiance. In that sense good for the optical diversity in the scene. An evening there can be successful if you carefully select from the menu the original items. Sometimes there are good oyster and champagne deals. Otherwise the food and whine selection are solid, but not exceptional.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Zurich, Switzerland
“Overpriced and missing something”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We went there appealed by the suggestion from Lonely Planet.
We got there tired and hungry, so we walked in without checking the menu (mistake).
Too late we realized that the offer was not particularly appealing.
I ended up ordering only some roasted baby pig (turned up a disappointing fatty meat, not too different from what you would expect from a canteen).
My wife ordered the 3 courses menu: asparagus (boiled, with vinegrette), tuna fish and a dessert of cheese and honey (just fresh cheese, nothing impressing).
With 50 cl of house wine we reached a bill of 68 euro without being really satisfied.
Suggestion: look for alternatives!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Zurich, Switzerland
“It's open on Sunday & late.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

The service was good, but I was not impressed with what I had. I feel bad, but your better off eating somewhere else. I ate my food (a few bites) more so as to not offend the owners, not because I enjoyed it. It was a disappointment for my last dinner in Paris.

Visited November 2011
Kuala Lumpur
“Go for the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

This restaurant on Butte-aux-Cailles (Metro Corvisat) has great food and good wines. Oysters for starters went down very well. The pork knuckle in lentils was very good. Beware the prices are not cheap. The atmosphere is of a typically French bistro with windows on 2 sides. Reservation is recommended, The service is abysmal. The only waitress has memory lapses and forgot to bring us our wine for the main meal. That is probably the worst sin anybody can commit in France.

I was initially reluctant to post this review to keep the hidden gem Butte-aux-Cailles a secret. Hardly any tourists. A lively and charming little area. There are several other restaurants nearby also worth visiting..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere