“French food with soul” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Georges

Chez Georges
1,rue du Mail, 75002 Paris, France (Opera / Bourse)
01 42 60 07 11
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Dubai
“French food with soul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Great hearty food with French countryside flair. Rich vegetable staters and herring that take you back to when food was simple and sumptuous. The white asparagus with cream set the scene, the lentils with shallots added that all-knowing sense of traditional flair, and the French meat with creamy morels invigorated with spices took our palettes on a journey we won't soon forget. All matched with friendly, almost homely service. "I'll be back!"

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“French charm and comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

This was our favorite meal in Paris! I read about Chez George and wanted to try it. We made a reservation in advance- which you must do because the place gets packed around 9pm.

Lovely, old world Paris decor..comfy banquettes, mirrored walls etc. All the waitresses were so friendly and accommodating. We immediately felt relaxed and comfortable..even though our French wasn't very good!

They serve classic French comfort food..and it hits the spot! My boyfriend had the duck with mushrooms-he cleaned his plate! I had the escargot-they were awesome! And lovely presentation.

Wine was great. In fact, the waitress gave me a free glass...and we were so happy and cozy, no one rushed us. In fact, we befriended a couple at the table next to us! We all shared a fromage plate after dinner and it was decadent and delicious..so many choices. So very French! I loved it.

Overall fair prices and a warm, welcoming atmosphere..we will return for years to come!

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Textbook bistro cuisine that could use a bit of imagination”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I am probably harsher than I should be on Chez George, and I wish that Tripadvisor allowed for "half stars" since Chez George is clearly better than average. In fact, it is a solidly good bistro that does a solidly good job with the usual bistro staples (e.g., steak frites, oeuf a la mayonaise, etc.). It is also better than most of the tourist bistros that you find near St. Germain or the Louvre. My problem with Chez George is that it is forever showing up on list of the "best bistros" in Paris, when it really should not. Unlike La Regalade, Chez Michel, or Paul Bert, Chez George never ventures out of the comfort zone of the traditional bistro fare and, hence, there were no dishes that wowed any at our table. Additionally, while I admittedly opted for the lower end of the price range, I have never had wine in Paris that tasted like grape koolaid. All in all, I had expected more.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“The best meal and experience in Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We had a reservation for 1:30 and didn't leave there until 4:00. It was great from the moment we sat down to the moment we left. We sat in the inside room against the wall with mirrored walls behind us. The room itself made you feel as if you were in Paris 80 years ago. The service was very attentive from the Maitr d' to our female waitress who seemed as if she had been there all that time mentioned above (not). We had entrees of lentils du Puy salad, and salad lyonais. I had sweetbreads with morrel sauce, which was so good I still think about it. My wife had lamb chops with green beans. My daughter had duck with mushroom sauce, which she said was the best meal she has ever had. My son-in-law had entrecote with a congac cream sauce. For dessert we had raspberries with creme fraiche. Obviousely, we had to walk off this wonderful lunch afterwards.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Great local venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Been there many years ago and couldn't wait to get back to France with a view towards lunch and dinner there. A deep dish of herring in oil was packed and a delight to finish. The Lamb a staple there is absolutely great ,even my friends from New Zealand agreed. I had to double back one day when some of my friends departed for sightseeing and shopping. I got adventurous and tried the delightful, knife cut steak tartar and great fries on the side. That comes after the complimentary foie gras and baguette that accompanied a great half bottle of waiter selected wine. There is no wonder that this restaurant could survive conquerors, changes in habits and tastes since it first opened in 1926. Places that are this good at what they do, survive most everything on the one neceassary ingriedient needed great food. Drop dead desserts finished me off until I could slither away from the group just one more time before going home.

• 5 of 5 stars Food