“You're Paying for the View” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Francis

Chez Francis
7, Place de l'Alma, 75008 Paris, France (Champs-Elysees)
01 47 20 86 83
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7,355 of 13,870 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Brasserie
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Champs-Elysees
San Francisco, California
“You're Paying for the View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Dined here for dinner tonight. Had a nice view of the Eiffel Tower in the distance, which was a nice touch. But I'm rating this restaurant as average, because I don't feel like the food was that great. Had the grilled Dover soul, which was completely bland. I had my choice of mashed potatoes OR vegetables. You'd think for 47 euros, I'd get both. But no. So I chose the mashed potatoes, which came in a little bowl on the side. Again, nothing special. Pretty tasteless, actually. But I will say that as I was eating, I kept looking up to see that magnificent view, and that put a smile on my face. Or maybe it was the pink champagne that I was drinking :). In my opinion, there are way more other restaurants in Paris that I want to try; don't think I'll be back to this one.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food, shame I may not be visiting again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is one of my favourite restaurants in Paris and I always try to have a meal here when I am staying longer than a day.
Food is of an excellent quality at a fair price, given the location. On my last visit for my birthday (actually in March 2013, but Trip Advisor don't go that far back),it was a nice touch for the waiter to bring a small cake with a candle to the table, singing happy birthday.
Sadly, however, it seems my days of visiting are now over as reservations cannot be made for those dining alone, forcing me to find a new place to eat. I do hope that the management change their mind as this is a lovely restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York, New York, United States
“Great video, good food, horrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I dined here on our last night in Paris. You really can't beat the view of the Eiffel Tower as it sparkles. Our meals were delicious and we enjoyed the food, but the service left a lot to be desired.

First, we ordered glasses of wine and were given a bottle. It took over 35 minutes to clear our table and offer a dessert menu. Perhaps they were short staffed?

When I returned home, I thought of the lovely wine that we had and found out how badly we had been price gouged.

Go for the view, but don't eat a meal unless you want to overpay.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Providence, RI
“Location location location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I had a romantic dinner at Chez Francis and it was quite enjoyable. At first, I thought the decor was a bit dated and feared a similar dining experience but was pleasantly surprised.

The following day, we went for lunch and sat outside. It was interesting to watch the daytime crowd and the eat al fresco. In fact, we witnessed two heated altercations between motorcyclists and the gendarmerie who were trying to direct traffic. (Most interesting because, in the states, these would have resulted in arrests, I think!)

Nice Champagne, good coffee. Prices a bit on the touristy site, but definitely a good bet for a meal.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Rude waiter- not what you expect when paying high prices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I was bitterly disappointed as have visited Chez Francis before and although over priced, was then a lovely experience with a stunning view and I was made to feel welcome. Today, Sunday 6 April, I had a drink and thé gourmand with my son.

The waiter on the exterior was rude, unwelcoming and made all clients feel like it was a problem being there and spending our money. He took ages to serve us, refused to provide a little water for our dog, giving me a load of verbal. Last time, I visited, the waiters were more than happy to help and when I asked another waiter this time, he provided water for my dog with ease and no abuse.

My thé gourmand was ok not spectacular for 14 euros and arrived without the tea bag. When I pointed this out to the waiter, he did not apologise, but went off grumbling as though I and the world had committed a heinous crime. He truly ruined the experience for us, cleaned us out of 28.50 euros (no tip and I am a generous tipper).

Proprietors at Chez Francis, please, please, please deal with this waiter.

• Visited April 2014