“Great cold seafood platter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe de la Paix

Cafe de la Paix
2, Rue Scribe, 75009 Paris, France (Opera / Bourse)
01 40 07 36 36
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Cafe de la Paix is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,553 of 13,870 Restaurants in Paris
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Chicago, Illinois
“Great cold seafood platter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I recently visited the cafe which has been there since 1861. The ambiance was festive and decor was upper bourgeois France. The food was great! We ordered the langoustine a la carte which came with 10 huge ones and 1 crab which was a steamed stone crab cut in half. It took us an hour just to enjoy the platter before we moved on to their famous french onion soup and sweet bread. We ate like kings and had a great time!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Westminster, Maryland, USA
“Touristy, but very good food, and beautiful ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is a big tourist attraction as the famous cafe in the Grand Hotel. It is a stunningly beautiful cafe, with traditional Parisian wait staff. The place is very elegant. They do not like to see improperly dressed patrons, and will not be friendly if you are dressed in jeans (especially with tennis shoes). It's a respect thing! And reservations are needed on a weekend, but during the week, they are not quite as crowded.
I had the Onion soup and langostinos (I do not know the English word for this-they are somewhere between hugely giant shrimp and lobster). My Onion soup was very good, but could not compare to the langostinos, a platter of 8, beautifully plated, and delicious. They are eaten like lobster, but I needed our waiters' assistance, and he was most helpful and friendly about being so. My husband had the scallops and described them as excellent.
We had several glasses of wine, and did wish that we had gotten a bottle instead, if only for the price.
This was an expensive dinner, even for Paris (€200+), but it was very romantic, so we left smiling.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We liked the place and decided to have a dessert. We doubted on quality as this place is just in front of Opéra so this sound very tourists-like.
We were happily surprised by extremely nice staff and quality of dessert (I had millefeuille which was gooood). Prices are high though and iyou will probably have to queue for a few minutes before sitting. I saw some people queuing, asking for a dinner and leaving because the restaurant side was overbooked. So watch out and book in advance (if possible) in you plan to dine there.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
“Poor quality food for very high prices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The food was below average and the wine ... yes the wine was something I have not even experienced in a very low quality restaurant. I asked for a wine by the glass and I got a frozen wine... no kidding. The wine was almost frozen. Also, the onion soup and the salad I ordered were among the worst I have ever had. Don't go... If you must. Stay away from the wine by the glass.

Visited October 2012
Austin, TX
“Everything horrible about Paris!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Gaudy. Uncomfortable. Over-priced mediocre food. Condescending maitre'd's. Rudest waiters around. And that's when you can actually get served! Unless you want to re-up your hatred of the French, avoid this place. Truly embarrassing ... and I live in Paris part of the year!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere