“Total ripoff!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Constant

Cafe Constant
139 rue Saint-Dominique, 75007 Paris, France (Tour Eiffel / Invalides)
+33 1 47 53 73 34
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Total ripoff!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is my first restaurant review, i normally review only hotels. However I feel the need to warn people before this bistro. Yes the food is quite tasty but they totally rip you off! We had 3 starters and something to drink. The bill presented was alright as well (55 euros). Because I wanted to pay with credit card I had to pay downstairs at the bar. Everything fine except that the buy charged my card for 91.50 euros instead of 55.50!!! Those numbers not even close on the ATM machine. Seriously I know that it’s France and Paris but ripping people of that way. So it turned out to be 3 starters for Michelin star prices. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! Do you really have to take people for idiots?????

• Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Carterville, Illinois
“Good food all day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Cafe Constant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So many small restaurants in Paris are only open for the evening meal, it is nice to find one where you can stop in at any time. I ate here for breakfast and dinner. The pork on the dinner menu was really great. This restaurant looks smaller than it really is because there is more seating hidden upstairs. Don't pass it up just because it looks busy. I did that my first few days (staying at a hotel two doors down) and, once I tried Cafe Constant, wished I had more days to eat there.

Visited June 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“An affordable meal with great quality.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This restaurant is great and really popular, It is the more budget option of a number of restaurants in the area owned by Chef Christian Constant, and and as a result there is the chance of having to queue especially as you are unable to reserve a table. We decided to eat earlier than normal as we were going to the Eiffel tower in the evening so arrived around 6:30pm, when the restaurant was just starting to serve dinner. As such we weren't in a huge queue, however it was raining extremely heavily and the staff were very conscientious in trying to get people out of the weather as quickly as possible. The food was of a great quality with an imaginative menu for each course. The waiting staff are quite reserved but still very attentive and our meal was quick to arrive. The veal and the "Ile Flottante" desert were particularly impressive and I would definitely recommend them. We were able to have a great quality 3 course meal that was well within budget, even within wine.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Great atmosphere even on the hottest night of the year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Cafe Constant...hot (take a fan)...crowded (it's part of the experience!)...great food (the beef stew melts in your mouth, the fish was tender and brilliant, and the quenelles of chocolate mousse surrounded by custard are in the running for best dessert of our trip), great tableware (I want their Delherrin copper pans)...happy patrons...and the hard working and cheerful staff equals a great experience. Best patron award goes to the tiny young woman in the corner who ordered one entree and three (yes three!) desserts. You should have seen the look of surprise on the server's face when he brought the desserts to her table (obviously expecting three people!) And thanks to our server Joseph for flawlessly serving our floor of about 30 patrons in many languages, and the dishwasher who smiled and waved from the window of the second floor kitchen as we walked away. Looks like a great team! (A special mention goes to the smiling and patient young woman organizing all the incoming patrons - she sent us away for a 15 minute walk and our downstairs table was waiting for us when we returned - many thanks!)

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Never trust reviewers on tripadvisor - Horrible Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I came here with high expectations since friends have recommended this restaurant near the Eiffel tower, and came back with huge disappointment. This was the worst meal I have ever tried in Paris, definitely not worth the price. The service was fine and the owner has the habit of asking every customer how the food was, and most people in front of the line said it was tasty. I, of course, had to tell him the truth how horrible the food was. We ordered five dishes (seafood, fish, beef, lamb and pasta) - horribly presented, unfresh, tasteless, cold, cooked with microwave.

I told off the owner and honestly told him how disappointing the food was. He was clearly embarrassed, and kept apologising to us and seemed like he did not expect this. That's when we realised either (1) not a lot of customers actually tell him the truth (2) not many actually could tell the difference between good food and bad food. The food was unacceptable in every way, even if you consider the mid-range price.

The restaurant was JAMMED with tourists and that tells you the kind of food they offer. Never, ever trust tourists. Always go to where real Parisians go for dinner. Not one single Parisian inside the restaurant. We spent 4 nights in Paris and every single other restaurant was way above Cafe Constant in terms of food quality and service.

After seeing 95% of reviewers here rank this restaurant 5 star out of 5 saying how brilliant the food was - I am convinced that NONE of you actually know what real food tastes like. This restaurant is an insult to all restaurants in Paris, yet no one seems to get that.

• Visited August 2013