“Great little French restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Au Bascou

Au Bascou
38 Rue Reaumur, 75003 Paris, France (Notre Dame / Marais)
01 42 72 69 25
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Au Bascou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,117 of 13,368 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Notre Dame / Marais
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Great little French restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

From the outside it is obvious that this is a place where the emphasis is on a good food and we were not disappointed. Although the menu is only available in French the staff can help with translation so that you understand what you are getting. We ate there on a Monday evening and without a reservation it is helpful to arrive early. The service was excellent and the staff friendly.

The food was modern Basque / French in style with good sized portions, beautifully cooked and presented. The Chef / patron clearly enjoys what he does and judging by the mix of customers, they like it as well. It isn't cheap, but nowhere in Paris is, but it was definitely the best meal of our recent break there.

Visited June 2013

Leicester UK
“Good restaurasnt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've reviewed this reataurant before - nthis was my fifth visit, for dinner. For good price/quality/value in Paris, I've found this an excellent destinantion . Our two courses and decent quality wine were good value. Our starters of, respecively, squid and prawns, were well done, followed by excellent dishes of, respecitively, guinea fowl and scallops (decsibed accurately by a previous reviewer). Very well prepared and cooked, and much above average for this price in Paris. Noit exceptional, but very good cooking.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
The universe
“Delicious food, great ambiance, when in Paris - a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We arrived late, the five of us after a long day of work, and the place was still full of Parisians drinking their wines and having marvelous deserts. We had to wait a while but it was worth any minute. I had Asparagus for first and I could eat some many more plates of this delicious fresh vegetable so precisely cooked. For main I wisely chose the Coquilles St. Jacques (white round scallops) which came with green beans and were just perfect! Everything we ate was tasty, smart and very special.
You need to reserve in advance (or better ask the hotel to call ), the place is popular and for a good reason. The service could be a bit better but hey - its Paris :)
I highly recommend it both for a group and couples.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“Good. By no means great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I started with the piperade. It's supposed to be spicy. To me, it was bland but , in fairness, I lived in New Orleans for several years and my idea of spicy might not be everyone's idea of spicy. Basically this was a dish of scrambled eggs. I have a rule I follow when I do reviews. If I can make it at home better- I'm not impressed. My main was a scallop dish with a side of green beans. The beans and the scallops were fresh. To their credit, the treatment of the scallops was not overly heavy handed. They were competently seared and dressed with a shallot vanaigrette. The wife had a sea bass that didn't taste like much. Vanilla Mille feuille for dessert. A bit of a yawn. The staff here were very nice. The space was pleasant and clean. I have nothing overly negative a say here except that I wouldn't use up a Paris meal slot here when there are so many better choices. As I have said in other reviews, if this place were near where I live, I'd frequent it. But it's in Paris and, in that context, it's average.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
londre
“Good Basque neighborhood restaurant.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Small restaurant serving french and basque food which is an interesting experience.

The snail starter was delicious as the snails were not chewy but melted in the mouth and the sauce was quite piquant. The rabbit terrine was slightly spoiled by the fact it was served a bit chilled.
The squid (basque style) cooked with chorizo could have been great as the squid was cooked to perfection however the chorizo was dry and leathery so I ended having to separate it out. The other main of scallops was excellent and they were cooked perfectly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere