“Wonderful hotel that is my new fave in Paris” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #152 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
WASHINGTON
“Wonderful hotel that is my new fave in Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Easy walk from Opera stop. Soothing music piped throughout with a modern, sleek look. Hotel staff is friendly with nice smiles and great English (though they put up with my shaky French). Water, fruit, and pastries available in the lobby. Computer available. Rooms are very nice, HD tv with channels of various languages. Free wifi access for numerous devices. Shower was amazing with a rain drop shower head available and wonderful amenities. Hotel is VERY secure--you have to be buzzed in the front door and then a card to access the elevators to the rooms. Breakfast was exceptional--FRESH juices and high end food options though a tad pricy at 22 Euro (so try and get it included in your room rate). Also very nice option--they give you access to a local, high-end gym in the neighborhood if you want to workout.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Stéphanie B, Directeur général at The Chess Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear hynesdd,

Thank you so much for posting such a nice review on your recent visit at The Chess Hotel Opera!

I was thrilled to read kind comments regarding the atmosphere, our services and our concierge team. I shall certainly share your impressions with the whole team, which I am certain will put a smile on their faces.

On behalf of all my colleagues, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stephanie Billat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Monaco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Chess hotel is a chic, very central little gem. Yes, my room didn't have a view, but the interior decor was tasteful and stylish, very well equipped, and with an absolutely spotless bathroom. The public areas, while not overly abundant, are also pleasantly designed, with a funky interior straight out of an interior design magazine. I found the reception staff to be very friendly, helpful and efficient. Breakfast was abundant and tasty (even though the breakfast staff were a little lacking when it came to service). The central location (near the Opera area) made getting around easy, and there''s plenty of cute Parisian cafes, bars and shopping to be had nearby. My only bugbear? Low water pressure on the 6 floor made the shower a bit wimpy, but otherwise a great spot if you're spending a weekend in Paris...

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Stéphanie B, Directeur général at The Chess Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear L H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on your recent stay The Chess Hotel!

I was very happy to read your lovely description of our rooms, products and our facilities. During the almost 2-year renovation, we entrusted to the famous Interior Designer Gilles & Boissier to decorated and imagine The Chess Hotel for its reopenning in the summer 2014.

It is also with particular attention that I read your comment on the low water pressure on the top floor and I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. Rest assured that I have already reviewed this point with the team concerned.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the city of light,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel was kind enough to let us do an early check-in after a 13hrs flight. Responded quick to my email. Room was alright as its normal to have a small room in Paris. Design of room was nice too.
The receptionist who was a guy was very kind too.
Didn't go for breakfast so no comments.
Halal food was just down the lane.
Satisfied & happy with my stay. The best part was shopping definitely! Galeries Lafayette just 5 mins away!
Will return to Chess Hotel again next yr when i visit Paris again!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Stéphanie B, Directeur général at The Chess Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Jooleeyanaa,

Thank you very much for sharing your feelings about your recent stay with us.
We hope that The Chess Hotel will become for you, one of the right places to come to recharge the batteries, and go shopping.

We look forward to welcome you back in your Parisian home and seeing you for breakfast or enjoying a drink by the fireplace.

With best regards,

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Why does this stand out? It's just off Haussmann/near Opera but on a quiet road, so it's relatively peaceful. The room is spacious - no tripping over the end of the bed or hitting your elbow in the bathroom! The design has a calm, contemporary feel (lots of attention to detail, such as the mural on the inner courtyard wall, which is delightful!) - none of that gaudy-bawdy or ornate decor much loved still by many Paris hotels. One downside: the sockets in the desk cannot be used with adaptors (beware UK/US/Asia business travellers with laptops)! Other comments: good value-for-money for this area, welcoming staff, lovely public lounge area.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear FayeLageu,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review on your experience with us.

I was very happy to read your lovely description of our rooms, lobby and courtyard, our ideal location and our service.

On behalf of all my colleagues, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Newborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

a modern hotel located within walking distance to many of the famous attractions. Room a bit small, good size bathroom, but had everything we needed. Air con is a bit of an issue. The rooms are controlled by reception and can either be turned off if set to a Winter or changed in the warmer months. We slept with the window open to get some air. If they are to sell tickets to attractions staff should also be schooled in what is closed on what days. We were sold Museum tickets to the Louvre and it was shut the day we purchased them. Fortunately we were able to use it for other museums but they should have known. Breakfast wasn't included in our room price and we didn't take up the offer to have it at an extra charge.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Kiwijetter,

We are truly delighted to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and our ideal location next to the Opera House. Thank you very much for informing other travellers through this review on Booking.com.

It is also with particular attention that I read your comment on the use of the Museum Pass and the room temperature and I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. Rest assured that I have already reviewed this point with the team concerned.

I hope we soon have another opportunity of welcoming you back to The Chess Hotel!

Crewe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Last time we visited Paris, my wife and I stayed at the K & K hotel, which is superb and highly recommended. On a slightly tighter budget this time, we decided to try the Chess Hotel based on some good reviews on this website. To be fair, it has quite a bit to recommend it - a central location, excellent breakfasts, comfy beds and not too noisy given where it is.

It is, however, probably the case that we were spoiled last time. My problems with the Chess Hotel were as follows:

There was a bad drain smell in our bathroom and because the room was quite small (but supposedly 'superior' the smell was also in the bedroom. Paris is a romantic city but smelly drains can undermine that somewhat!

There was no clock and a bit of a shortage of powerpoints in the bedroom.

There were no tea and coffee-making facilities in the room. That may be an unfair English expectation but we had this at the K & K.

It was not possible to control the temperature in the room. Instead, we had to ring and ask reception to change the temperature as it was very hot. We noticed absolutely no difference and resigned ourselves to being overheated for the duration of our stay.

Whilst the dining area is okay there's not a nice bar at the Chess Hotel and the entrance passage is rather dingy, details that aren't crucial to a hotel stay but reinforced our sense of disappointment.

If we're going with the game metaphor implicit in the name of this hotel, it's not quite as sophisticated as chess but definitely better than KerPlunk. I'm not sure that last part worked - maybe I'm losing my marbles!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this review on your recent stay The Chess Hotel!

Your compliments are the best reward for our team, who strives to provide an excellent service and we are glad we met your expectations in terms of the breakfast quality, the comfort of our beds, and our ideal location.

It is also with particular attention that I read your other comments, first of all on the drain smell, and I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. Rest assured that I have already reviewed this point with the team concerned.

Our rooms are all equipped with two French power sockets and one US power socket in a trapdoor of the console tables, and we provide our guests with universal adaptors. Electric kettles and tea making facilities are available upon request. Our deluxe rooms and our suite feature Nespresso coffee machines.

The heating was turned off and changed for the air-conditionning one week ago. The control pannel located by the entrance door enables our guest to individually monitor the room temperature. It is always very sensible to please each of our guests with this in mid-season, when days can be warm but nights are still quite cool.

I hope this will not deter you from staying with us next time you cross the Channel to visit Paris and that you would accept to give us another chance.

Thank you also for the English humour but unfortunately, my average level of English is not good enough to understand it. For sure, your compatriots will.

Very best regards,

Stephanie Billat

Been to The Chess Hotel? Share your experiences!