“Real Review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel De La Paix Montparnasse

You added Hotel De La Paix Montparnasse to your Saves list
Hotel De La Paix Montparnasse
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Boulevard Raspail, 75014 Paris, France (Montparnasse)   |
Special Rate
€85 (EUR)
Ranked #218 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Oregon
“Real Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Hotel itself is older, and starting to show its years in carpet and features. The lift is just big enough for 2 people. You will NOT get a bag in it with 2 people. The rooms are small, but clean. WIFI did not work for 3 of the 6 days we spent there, and when it did allow you to log on, was spotty and slow at best. I initally was going to change hotels. It reminded me of an old YMCA Hotel. Bathroom was very clean and appeared to be newer,but you could not, again, get 2 people in it. I mean you can not turn - stoop in shower. There were no free plugs and only 3 plugs in entire room. I unpluged TV which was never watched anyway to charge batteries- readers - Pad etc. Now, with that said, the location in wonderful. You are close to some world class resturants just down the street and a laundry and small store are 1 block up and 1 block over. Felt very safe after dark. Ate at Le Jockey Club right across street several nights because of the free WIFI. Now, the best thing. The price. Only 100E per night!. You can't touch that in this area or Paris for that matter. 30 meters from Metro with lines 4 and 6 in it so all connections are no more than 1 stop away. Overall, disappointed at first look, but spent very little time in room any way. Would stay again. Be warned, the stairs are also VERY small so large bags can be a pain. It is a little ways away from "center" of town, but the Metro makes up for that. You will have no problems getting to any destination from this place and the quiteness after dark makes it a good choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I went to Paris on a hen weekend with ten other ladies. This hotel was a great choice: the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are very clean and the tiny bathrooms immaculate. A lovely change from the impersonal chains that are the norm in this price range. It's not right in the centre of things but only a few yards from a metro station, so that doesn't matter.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here early October. The hotel is very charming and the staff is top-notch, especially Danielle who was always there when I needed something. Unfortunately, I was given a room on the top floor that was next door to a family with a non-stop crying baby. I asked reception for a new room assignment, but they were booked for the evening. The walls are thin, so I put my ear plugs in and was able to sleep. When I went downstairs to breakfast the next morning, Danielle told me my new room was ready and made sure that I was comfortable there.

My room rate was 99 Euros per night with free wi-fi which is a steal in Paris. I paid the extra 9 Euros for breakfast and regretted that decision as I could have gotten a better, less-expensive breakfast at the grocery around the corner or one of the nearby bakeries. The 9 Euro version was a small basket of breads, juice and coffee, no protein (but you could pay extra for that).

There is a laundry right around the corner from the hotel (4 Euro wash 2 Euro dry), a grocery store, several restaurants nearby and the metro & RER are both very close.

The staff made my stay very pleasant and I will come back to this hotel when I return to Paris.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

we stayed here three nights after experiencing a stolen purse in the Normandy area. the staff, including Danielle, Ben, Christne, Matthew, went beyond to help us with details of how and what to do. Our room was much larger than most rooms in Paris, a very modern bathroom. a modern working lift ... continental breakfast was very good. highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

As frequent traveller to Paris, more than 30 times, I feel sorry Paris looks like ailing.
It was quite different from when I first visited Paris in 1988. Broken system, greed of tour place, laissez- faire citizenship have made the world jewel city to one of most uncomfortable place.
However this hotel still remains as jem of Paris.
This is my first time in this hotel. I stayed with my family, 3 rooms for almost 10 days from Sep and Oct. Due to our 30 years wedding anniversary, my kids and kids in law and even grand daughter baby from Chicago joined.
Location is perfect. 2 minutes walk from Raspail station where metro 4 and 6 correspond. 10 minutes walks from gare Montparnasse and RER Port Royal. Also famous restaurant like le dome, coupole, selection and bar huitre(oyster) etc. However cozy but reasonable price with good quality restaurant next to the hotel. Also 3-4 super markets are neighboring. Very convenient but not facing in buzz of down town.
Room is quite OK in Paris standard.
Most shining point of this hotel is service attitude.
Receptionist English is perfect. Usually even kind receptionsit is formal and businesslike.
Here you can feel real friends and family atmosphere. They try to solve any kind of problems you faced in Paris. Christine and Daniel, also Francois merci beaucoup. Your support made us to enjoy our 30 anniversary most pleasantly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were a couple who are accustomed to working in small spaces who very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Due to late planning there was only the smaller room available, but it did not feel cramped and was very charming and spotlessly clean. It had a good feel, and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel was very quiet; we could not hear the other guests in their rooms.

Breads and juice at breakfast were great. I don't drink coffee but my friend who does opted for coffee elsewhere after the first morning.

The best feature of the hotel was the splendid service of the staff. We got a great deal of help from the concierge who booked us restaurants, and looked for alternates when the ones we suggested were full. She was tremendously helpful and a delight to work with.

The location of the hotel was superb for us, but we are urban and walkers by nature, and enjoy strolling the neighborhood at a good clip. So we don't mind walking 15 minutes to get to the restaurant or musuem or whatever we're looking for. The train station was a very easy walk, just a few blocks away. The metro station is also very nearby. The street is quiet and there is a nice little boulangerie down the block. We loved the neighborhood and were very happy with our choice.

I plan to return to Paris and would make this hotel my "go to" reservation. The value was superb for the price.

Room Tip: If you travel with quite a lot of baggage, this is not a great hotel for you. If you travel light, i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newburgh, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is perfect if you prefer to be away from the commotion and immerse yourself in the culture. Montparnasse is a distance from the main sights, but it is such a lovely area. If I could give it 4 1/2 stars, I would.

The room:
We payed a little more for the slightly larger room facing the courtyard. It was not a big room, but it was suitable. We left the windows open at night and had no issues with outdoor noise. The only noise issue we had was later in the morning it sounded as if furniture was being dragged across the floor above us. We are late sleepers and this was at a reasonable hour, so I did not complain. The bathroom is small but recently renovated and functional. Towels were not soft at all. The bed was comfortable.

The service:
Upon arrival, the kind woman at the front desk showed us our location on the map along with major sights and which metro lines were nearby. This was very helpful and I did not even ask her to do this.

The location:
Montparnasse is a bit of a distance from most major attractions, but there is a metro station just a minute's walk away with a line that goes up to Notre Dame and another that goes to the Eiffel Tower, so it's very easy to get where you need to. It's a 10 minute walk from Jardin du Luxembourg, which is a lovely place to picnic or just sit and relax. The St. Germain area is about a 20 minute walk and we walked to Notre Dame in about 30 minutes. It's also close to Gare Montparnasse, where we took the Air France shuttle from the airport and then walked to the hotel.

Some tips:
There is a boulangerie a couple doors north of the hotel where we would buy pastries and sandwiches for a picnic in Luxembourg. There is also a street market on Wednesdays and Saturdays on Blvd Edgar Quinet, a short walk away. Blvd Montparnasse has plenty of cafes to choose from.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard facing room, which was quiet, but the street seemed very quiet when walking back...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel De La Paix Montparnasse? Share your experiences!