“Vermin infested rooms, very rude staff, a nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Residence De Bruxelles
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 boulevard de la Chapelle, 75018 Paris, France   |
Ranked #1,667 of 1,788 Hotels in Paris
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Vermin infested rooms, very rude staff, a nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This place may be cheap but it was nowhere near worth even the little we paid for it. It's in the middle of Montmartre which is filthy and dangerous, especially if you look like you have money! It's full of pickpockets and scam artists, be very careful and keep a close eye on your stuff if you plan to venture into it.

I arrived at the hotel exhausted after travelling all day, the owner appeared to be annoyed with me for bothering him by attempting to check in. The room was up several flights of stairs and down several corridors, the owner didn't explain to me properly where it was and wouldn't come with me to help me with my luggage. When I couldn't find the room and walked all the way back down to the front desk to ask him to show me where it was, he still refused.

I didn't think it could get much worse, but that night a mouse ran across the floor of our room! I was disgusted and furious. I went down to explain the situation, and the owner, after rolling his eyes and pretending not to understand what I was saying, tried to put us in a room with two single beds, not a double room which we had paid for! He did not even apologise for the MOUSE in our room. Absolutely appalling, without doubt the worst "hotel" I have ever stayed in. It really should be shut down for its filth and vermin. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night here. It was a 7 minute walk from the Gare du Nord where trains from Charles De Gaulle airport arrive in the city centre. As I was arriving at 10 pm I didn't want to have to deal with the metro at that time of night.

The walk is poorly lit and quite a lot of groups of young people hanging round made it a little uncomfortable for a single female traveller (always be cautious in a big city!).

The staff were polite and courteous on check-in and told me where the nearest shop and metro station were (very close). Vending machines in lobby and I was given a little plate of fresh dates - a pleasant touch.

The room was very basic - a bed, one bedside table, some built-in shelving but no chair and no desk. The bathroom was showing the signs of wear and tear with age but both were clean and the sheets freshly starched and bright white.

The elevated metro runs outside the hotel so ask for a room overlooking the courtyard otherwise you'll only sleep between 1am and 5 am.

In summary, it's fine if you're on a budget and not a solo traveller. Beware - breakfast finishes at 9!

• Stayed October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

A decent hotel if you're just using it to spend the night in your room. The room I got (single) was not too big but comfortable for a sleep.
The neighbourhood is a bit rough but a metro station is pretty close by (about 200-300 metres) so it is convenient....
breakfast is a bit sparse
Free wifi

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I booked the Hotel Residence De Bruxelles through Venere.com for 19JUNE2012. Upon arriving in Paris and finding the hotel, the front desk denied me service despite having the confirmation and booking number. He said that he didn't except the booking. I told him I didn't have a place to stay or a phone that worked and he kept yelling at me saying that he didn't care. This hotel was right outside the metro but in a very dirty area. I was better off finding another hotel elsewhere in Paris after the poor treatment received here on top of being denied a place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

•this hotel located by near the gare du nord station.
•Out of the window, there are a lot of pigeons.
•In this room, a little musty

• Stayed July 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I got to this hotel and the owner refused to check us in because we booked with hotels.com. This man yelled at us (two girls) and told us we needed to leave. He started gesturing and appeared to be threatening us in French. The hotel itself was extremely filthy ( including the lobby). There were stray cats roaming around inside the lobby and hallways of the hotel. The walls were stained with dirt, couch was ripped. We were there for 30 min trying to figure what to do and we began to itch all over. The man who owns this place does not like Americans, looks dangerous. The area was in the heart of a very poor and unsafe part of Paris. No tourists, no cabs to be seen. Please do not go there. He would not even let us use te phone when our phones died. Overall, a terrible way to begin our trip to Paris.

• Stayed June 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

The owner of the hotel kicked us out and cancelled out booking as we walked in because he "did nt want to work with Americans that booked through hotels.com because he was not getting his money". The staff was rude unhelpful and overall scummy and they seemed to be drunk. The location was also horrible. Located in the GHETTO of Paris , it was very unsafe and unfriendly. Also, the faculties were disgusting. Filthy, with cars all over the place. Do not stay here !!!!!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Residence De Bruxelles? Share your experiences!