“BEWARE - dishonest/untrustworthy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Bertha

You added Hotel Bertha to your Saves list
Hotel Bertha
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 rue Darcet | 17 Arr., 75017 Paris, France (Batignolles-Monceau)   |
Ranked #1,541 of 1,792 Hotels in Paris
Justine Cephus
“BEWARE - dishonest/untrustworthy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was in a bind and needed a last minute hotel in Paris for one night layover. Booked BERTHA based on price and location alone through booking.com. Within 2 hours, received an e-mail from booking.com advising me to get a new room. Bertha, apparently overbooked and had no rooms. I thought of this as lucky afte reading reviews of bedbugs and shady scenery at the hotel.

As I am adjusting to jet lag and getting back to work I see another e-mail entitled "NoShow"! Bertha charged me the full cost of a room THAT WAS NOT EVEN AVAILABLE!! I cannot believe it. I dont know what to think of a hotel that cannot even manage simple books. So far, no luck from Bertha or booking on getting a refund. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH BOTH SERVICES!

Room Tip: Anywhere but here - and try Venere, much better service (and often better rates!) than booking
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Budapest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever made. I have stayed in hostels and cheaper hotels in many large cities in Europe, but this one was unbelievable. The only nice thing about this hotel and the service is the breakfast, however you have to have it in an unfriendly corner next to the reception. I would rather pay a little more and enjoy the hospitality of any bars or cafes next door.
A huge cockroach showed up in our bathroom,the WC was running all night so we had to swith off the water, which caused trouble in the room next to us, as the water pipe was the same for both rooms (thus, we had to chose: we do not sleep or the room next door has no water). One might find this all rather funny and would say, well, for this price I let all this happen, but believe me, after the 3rd night this is not funny at all and the staff reacted rather unfriendly when we complained, instead of begging for our apology.
All in all, if this is the niveau in 1star hotels in Paris, I would recommend to pay more for a proper hotel. Such experiences ruin your holiday.

Room Tip: If for any strange reason you have to stay in this hotel (which is rather a hostel quality), try to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Edwardsville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

On our European vacation we were looking for a budget place that wasn't necessarily a hostel but wasn't a budget buster. Thus we stumbled upon the Hotel Bertha. While it was a good price and fairly close to a metro stop the actual hotel was run down and the staff was rude. There was only one electric plug in the whole room and it was by a window which made getting ready in the morning very difficult. Not only that but no matter what precautions we took we would end up blowing the circuit to the whole room by plugging things into it. While this isn't so bad the neighborhood wasn't the best for exploring either in my opinion. The only good part of the hotel was a window that opened up to a side view of Sacre Coeur. I believe better places can be found for the same price with a little searching.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed there for 5 nights. From the first night on ive noticed i got some bite marks on my arms, legs and back but didnt bother couse i thought i got bitten by mosquitos. But every morning i noticed i got more and more and they were becoming bigger and more inflamed and itchy and even now after almost 3 weeks i still got them, though they faded a little bit. I do regret not to tell the staff, but once i returned home i sent them a message telling all about it but they never replyied- so that means they ignored the case ! ! !
I must say that before i booked this hotel i read all the reviews on here but unfortunetely ingored them, especially the one saying: UNINVITED GUESTS: BEDBUGS. Its just i thought it wouldnot happen to me but yet it did happen! Please people dont go ther if you dont want to suffer like me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toulouse, Midi-Pyrenees, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

My friends and I booked Hotel Bertha for 3 nights in February. It was completely filthy and we had to leave after the first night. The blanket on my bed had toothpaste all over it. When I opened the sheets, they had holes and were covered in hairs, pubic hairs and specks of dirt. There was also a bug crawling all over my bed. My friend's sheets were the same. We asked at the desk for clean sheets. He was rude and he only gave us two sheets between us. He took the sheets out of what we presumed was a laundry bag. However, when we opened them up in our room, they were also covered in hairs, pubic hairs, and dirt! The floors also looked like they hadn't been swept in a while, as did the hallways. I have stayed in lots of hostels before so I didn't expect anything more than a basic room but never have I seen a room so disgusting and dirty. We have pictures if you can stomach to look at them!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I booked through priceline.com which advertised this hostel as a 3-star hotel. There was no soap, shampoo, or amenities that are associated with a 3-star hotel. We were basically overpaying for a hostel. It would've been overlooked since we hardly were at the hotel. But on the last night we found the reason why we were having rashes. This hostel had a bedbug infestation. Since it was 2am and we had to catch a taxi at 6:30am we decided not to make a complaint after we got back. We quarantined our luggage and I emailed priceline and Hotel Bertha informing them of the situation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Well within the simple expectations we set for ourselves since the hotel had one of the cheapest rates available in a good location. The room and bathroom was relatively clean. We liked that we were on the top floor; even with the windows opening to the main street (Bld Des Batignolles) it didn't get too noisy. Our very distant views included Sacre Coeur and the tip of the Tour Eiffel). Be ready to walk up the narrow staircase with your luggage (we were on the 5th floor and had to carry tons of stuff up) as there is no elevator.

Good wifi connection available in all rooms.

Had no issues with the small bathroom/toilet, although the toilet seat kept coming apart. We hardly stayed in the room anyway, so we weren't really bothered by all other details.

Friendly and helpful staff. We didn't get the breakfast that the hotel offered and instead chose to buy really yummy croissants and quiche from a nearby boulangerie. Groceries, wine shops and cafes are nearby. The location was ideal since it was easy to catch the bus and Metro to everywhere. Convenient for walking around as well (very near Montmartre). Just opposite the direction of Place Clichy is Champs Elysees.

Consider this hotel if you're staying for a week or more. Otherwise, for a shorter visit, spend a bit more and get a 3-star hotel, which is what we would have done.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bertha? Share your experiences!