“Cheap accomdations, plus GREAT location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montebello

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Montebello
You added Hotel Montebello to your Saves list
18, Rue Pierre Leroux | 7th Arr., 75007 Paris, France (Eiffel Tower / Invalides / Palais-Bourbon)   |
Ranked #1,373 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
new york
“Cheap accomdations, plus GREAT location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for five nights in Mid-May. I would recommednt this place if you're looking for a no frills, inexpensive place to sleep. I stayed in room 17 (it is one flight of stairs up). For 45 euros a night, I got a room with a shower in it, but had to share a communal bathroom outside on the ground floor. I got clean towels everyday, but they didn't change my bed sheets except for when I first checked in (that didn't bother me b/c I was the only one sleeping in it).

Please note, my shower was TINY!! I'm 5'2 and farily slim, and it barely fit. My boyfriend is 6'3 - it was terrible for him b/c he couldn't even turn around in the shower. There was a small wash basin in the room to brush your teeth and hands. The room was also pretty small. I am glad I had a window in my room but it opens to a very small courtyard that looks pretty depressing. The bed wasn't really that great but after walking all day, I had no problems falling alseep b/c I was exhausuated. The carpeted floor was also pretty dirty so bring slippers for the room! Another thing was that the walls were very thin, I had no problems hearing my neighbor's conversations. You may want to wear ear plugs when going to bed if you're a light sleeper. Good thing was that the window curtains were very thick, so it kept the sun out

For location, this place is great!! A few minutes walk away is a very fancy supermarket, which has EXCELLENT sandwiches (I ended up going there almost everyday to grab something to eat). Also, a wonderful place to buy last minute gifts (they have high end chocolates, spices, etc...). Metro stop is less than 5 minutes away. Many nice shops in the area. Nigherborhood is pretty safe. You're also a 25 minute walk away (Paris is a city for exploring on foot!!) from the Jardin of Luxemborg, amd Effel Tower. 40 minute walk away from Notre Dame. Laduree was only a 25 minute walk away (they make the best macarons in Paris, IMHO)!

One great thing is that across the street, there's a laundry mat, which really came in handy b/c I didn't have to pack too much (I was staying in France for 9 days). But it is a little expensive to do laundry in Paris (it cost me about 8 euros to do a medium size load). In NY, it would have only cost me half that much.

If you want to save money, 45 a night is very good. Just don't have any high expectations. It's kind of dingy, but if you're just looking for a place to shower and sleep, it'll do.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

I booked this hotel for our trip in September 2007, and was a bit skeptical because of another review I had read about uncomfortable beds, but I took my chances because it was listed in my Let's Go Paris book, and I'm glad I did.

The best thing about this hotel is the great price and great location. It's quite central, just a hop skip and jump from the "Bon Marche" and the fabulous grocery shop "Le Grand Epicerie" two tourist destinations. To walk to the Eiffel Tower would be approximately 30 minutes, but it's just a quick Metro ride and the Vaneau stop is about a 3 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel staff was pleasant and someone cleaned our room each day, including fresh towels. The room we stayed in was quiet, we slept soundly the entire time, and the curtains are thick material and block out any light. The sheets were clean and crisp. The bed was ok--not luxury, but we had no trouble sleeping. If you are used to high class accommodations this is not the place for you. The wallpaper was dingy--a fresh coat of paint would do this place wonders, but these kinds of upgrades cost money, so I am happy with the way it is. The location is right, the price is right, and the bathroom, floors and sheets are clean which is what matters to me.

Stayed September 2007
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

Though the Montebello is not listed on this site, it was reccomended my Let's Go Paris guide. We booked for four nights in April, using the email address in the book. Response was quick, and we were able to get a double room with a shower and toilet (not all rooms have both, and some may not have either, leaving you to use the WC on the stair landing) for 50 Euros a night.

The location is good, as it's two blocks from the Vaneau stop in the 7th arrondissment, though I might have hoped for a more exciting neighborhood (though the close proximity to Au Bon Marche will surely delight some). There are some grocery stores nearby (though they close very early), as well as quiet restaurants and a bakery.

The room we were given was room 6, on the third (or, in Europe, second) floor. When we walked in, we were somewhat put off by the faded comforter, stained carpet, and beat-up furniture. Nothing matched. We've stayed in European budget hotels before, and expected things like a small room and a climb-up-into-it shower, but the general shabbiness of the room was a disappointment. Not wanting to spend any of our four days searching for a new hotel, we stayed.

The first night, we were exhausted, having been on a plane all night, before wearing ourselves out touring the city. Despite this, we were unable to get a good night's sleep on the mattress, which felt remarkably like a sack of bones. We were swiched to room nine the next day, with a hard but fairly bone-free mattress that served us well, after a stop at the bar du vin down the street.

One other issue was the key. You only get one, and it's needed to lock the door from either side. In other words, if one occupant wants to leave, the other must either remain in an unlocked room, or consent to being locked in. This may not be a problem if the remaining guest plans to keep the key and let the other in, but the front door is also locked at night.

All in all, I'll choose some other hotel on my next trip, but this one is okay in a pinch.

Pros: Clean, cheap, quiet street, friendly English-speaking owners, recently renovated bathrooms, email reservations

Cons: Shabby, lumpy mattresses, dull area, no TV or hair dryer, no elevator, hall noise, no website

Been to Hotel Montebello? Share your experiences!