“Good Value - Non-Smoking Hotel near Montparnesse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Blois

You added Hotel de Blois to your Saves list
Hotel de Blois
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 rue des Plantes | 14 Arr., 75014 Paris, France (Montparnasse)   |
Ranked #1,297 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Englewood, CO
“Good Value - Non-Smoking Hotel near Montparnesse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel de Blois on two occasions earlier this month. The hotel is under new ownership and there has been some renovation of the lobby and breakfast areas. I believe all of the rooms were non-smoking - a wonderful thing. Small rooms, very clean, and quiet. The staff was very attentive, friendly and helpful. Reasonably priced restaurants less than 5 minutes walking and a great selection of restaurants and cafes within 20 minutes (near Metro's: Vavin and Edgar Quinet). I would not hesitate to return and strongly recommend.

Room Tip: I suggest that travelers call the hotel and speak to the staff as they were very helpful.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Of course rooms are very small, but for the price I paid and regarding the situation,I was really pleased.
There are many cafes and restaurants around, and bus stop for bus n°28 is just nearby.
The Montparnasse train station is a 10 minute walk anyway.
Just be careful that there is no loft, and that you need to carry the suitcases up to the rooms.
Wi Fi is free.

• Stayed July 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I loved this place so much in March of '08 that I was really eager to book in advance of my Easter vacation (with my niece in tow this time). The Bery Family confirmed via email in December '10 and gave me a discount for early booking - free breakfast. When my niece and I arrived, we were told that the Berys had sold the place and it was under new management. There was construction - understandable - but we were told we could not check in early, so we had to kill about 3 hours after a very long flight. The housekeeper was just standing around when we first got there, then again when we came back. Okay, fine, it happens.

Thing is, the new managers are not very friendly and I did not get the same feeling I had when I stayed 3 years ago - no one replaced the almost-empty soap in the shower the whole time, even though I asked for more; you could see how decrepit the rooms had become (I believe I was even in the same exact room as last time!) and where the dirt and grime had settled; and finally, after one mediocre breakfast (not worth the time, just hit the bakery toward the metro - cheaper, fresh, impossibly delicious!), we discovered upon checkout that we were charged. Our reservation was very specific, so I scrolled through months of emails locating the written confirmation that breakfast should be gratis.

Honestly, I think I would have put up with anything and not minded a jot, had the Bery Family still been operating the hotel - as it was, all the little annoyances added up because of the cold, impersonal treatment of guests by all staff (the Asian guy was the most willing to be of help, though). I love the location of the hotel - it's perfect - but I don't think I would stay here again, especially as the prices will raise when they update all the rooms and put in the lift. If you go, expect to be treated like a number.

I'll just prefer to remember it how it was.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
benichou71, Directeur général at Hotel de Blois, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear customer, there was a change of direction at the hotel in Blois in January 2011. This hotel is no longer a youth hostel or a boarding house, as was the case during the era of former boss Mr Bery. We started to build a true hotel of charm, cozy, well decorated and with a boutique hotel atmosphere, at affordable prices. You do not find the old hotel and you are disappointed, I can understand, but you are in a minority, fortunately. the vast majority of old and new customers are impressed by the changes (and I am disappointed and surprised that you did not even mention the improvements and the renovation of the reception). The general view, our contact and welcome is warm and smiling, of course, you were surprised at the change and you express a disappointment, moreover, you have stayed during Easter during the peak of the season: the room is not immediately available and the prices are higher than before, of course, because, I repeat, we are not anymore an hostel or a house in town with very low rate (I guess you are disapointed because you expected very low rate as before!!) FYI, be aware that the hotel will become a de Blois beautiful boutique hotel with rooms, all new (but you must give us time), we hope to see you next time and I'm sure you will change your opinion
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed here with my friend for 5 nights. It wasn't too bad, a pretty average hotel. The staff spoke minimal english, but definitely tried. No lift... hard if you have heavy luggage!!! The wi-fi was tempramental, but they did have a computer in the lobby. The room was VERY small, but we expected this before we arrived. We didn't have the breakfast... there was a delicious boulangerie just down the street (out the doors and turn left, its called le moulin vert) that had fresh baked croissants and other pastieries for as little at 1 Euro! Location was pretty decent; not much around the immediate vicinity but we took the metro everywhere. Denfereau Rochereau and Alissia station were both very close. If you're looking for a cheap no frills hotel this one will suffice!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for two nights and the major downside is "NO lift" within the hotel. I have to carry my luggages to the third floor. OMG. Lucky they dont give me the room on 5th floor. The WIFI did not work at all n I dont know how to use the public computer as it is with French keyboard. Lastly, the toliet is small, way too small.
The hotel is about 10 minutes away from METRO station and many good resturants nearby. The only upside is the cost, really good value for money. Booking via its own site is cheaper.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We stayed at this place in mid April after having booked online through hotel's website. The check-in was smooth and quick. We got keys to our room and were in the room within 10 min of arrival. However there are no elevators just a narrow staircase. Room was small. Bathroom was way below what we expected and we dont expect much out of hotels. But this was very small could be called a 'gap hole'. Shower was not working properly or may be it was the way it was designed so that water does not come out of it! Breakfast was ok nothing too fancy. I'd rather have breakfast outside the hotel.

The greatest difficulty was finding this hotel partly our mistake too (not being able to read map). However being in 14th arr within Paris doesnt mean it is easiest place to get to esp if you're coming from CDG airport. You have to change trains and then 5-10 min walk from station. Must be atleast an hour from CDG if you have heavy bags.

Overall not too good not too bad. However, I wouldn't recommend a friend.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Very atmospheric little hotel, situated near the district with many designer clothing discount shops and close to Montparnas. Manager is very helpful and very french-looking, some windows are facing the internal garden where sometimes in the evening drunken, but melodic french singing could be heard. The breakfast is very nice and is stylishly served at the common table with other tenets.

Room Tip: Very nice single room with clean bathroom
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel de Blois? Share your experiences!