“Good value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,539 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My friend and I have just spent 4 nights in a twin room at Hotel Picard and thought the location was excellent, the service good and most of the staff were very helpful and cheerful. The room was good value for the price paid with comfortable beds, two delightful double windows with flower boxes over Rue de Picardie and lots of powerful hot water in the shower. Breakfast was 6 euros which included large pots of boiling hot tea and coffee, fresh croissants, baguettes, orange juice , hard boiled eggs and plenty of jams, butters and cheese. We were directed to a free internet service close by or you could use their free wifi. The manager was charming, amusing and spoke excellent english. The hotel's vicinity had plenty of cafes and restaurants and a indoor / outdoor market area which housed a large variety of eating stalls. It was a 20 minute walk to the Marais district and only a few more minutes to Notre Dame and the Seine We would definitely go back to this hotel which is 10 minutes walking from Republique Metro.

Room Tip: Ask for a twin room with bath at the front ( Room 202 was great)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
Minnetonka, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Do NOT under any circumstances stay at this hotel. Those who have written it's clean and "reasonable" must be mistaking this place for another. The accommodations (I use that word with tongue in cheek) are ridiculous. I understand and am ok with "bare bones" and a good price. I am NOT OK with dirty, dangerous and scary. I was afraid of the staircases at night--going to the loo was akin to high wire walking with no handrails and no net. Also be aware that some booking services actually charge more for this hideous place--we paid 99 Euros a night which is not a bargain considering the conditions. The location isn't bad--it certainly is close to things, however, most cab drivers don't even know where it is and there is a lot of construction going on. Location doesn't make up for the stained rugs, curtains or the noise and the smell. I assume the owner checked us in---he was fairly good humored at first but then started down the path of creepiness after several innuendos were ignored. Small lifts in older Paris buildings are normal--this one wasn't out of the way unusual. If you have a lot of luggage--forget it. No where to put it in the room and with two of us in such a small space, every movement had to be negotiated. The windows were the one saving grace--if you opened them up you could try to imagine you were somewhere else!
Bottom line for me is regardless of the room size, the decor, the location, you need to feel safe and this hotel doesn't give you that. The locks are flimsy---I would never leave anything valuable there --even downstairs in their safe. No cheap room is worth the loss of peace of mind. There are other good bargains in Paris and if you are strictly a value traveler, then this doesn't even meet that criteria. Don't stay here!!!

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

House of Horrors
Creepy, dirty, and unsafe are three words to best describe Hotel Picard. To say it is the worst hotel I've ever seen anywhere would be putting it mildly. The entire experience here has been a living nightmare. If zero stars were a choice I'd rate it negative zero. Stay away!

Details: i booked this hotel during fashion week when all other options were unavailable. It was listed as 2-star so i had pretty low expectations. But this is NOT a 2-star hotel by anyones reckoning in the civilized world.

Upon arrival we walked into a disheveled and awkward lobby that was permeated with a sickly sweet odor. Thinking they were doing remodeling, we stepped around a strange construct to be greeted by a seemingly jovial older desk clerk. His friendly banter quickly escalated to creepy sexual remarks and then became outright insulting. After my friend rebuffed his suggestive remarks he told her that she could just sleep in the garbage. Shocked, we followed up to the room.

I went upstairs with the bag in a creaky single person lift while they ascended four flights on a narrow, dimly lit and winding staircase with iffy handrails. A warren of dark rooms and hallways awaited us on our floor. Inside room 403 we found the barest of accommodations. Scanning the room, it was obvious by the mismatched colors, styles, and patterns of everything in it that the room was outfitted with flea market items. No attempt was made to create a pleasing atmosphere whatsoever. In one corner of the room stood a sink draped with two old mismatched towels. Exposed conduit pipes lined scuffed, dingy and peeling walls. Stained gray industrial carpet appeared dirty and unfit for bare feet. Thin worn mattresses were covered with even older ill-fitting toile coverlets. There was a tiny old table with two rickety chairs. No TV. No amenities save a tiny bar of soap. Not even a clock. The wall phone hung precariously on a nail and fell off the wall with the slightest touch. (And what about that advertised free wireless Internet? It was accessible but only in the dingy dilapidated lobby.)

Our toilet was situated in a dark hallway one floor down a curving and dangerously steep and narrow staircase without a handrail. Getting there was so unnerving in the dark passageways we went only in pairs and locked our room behind us. Next to the toilet room was a shower stall that costs an extra 3 euros should anyone be brave or desperate enough to use it.

Out of concern for bedbugs and fleas and fear of who knows what else, I slept fully clothed on top of the bed with my own airline pillow and covered myself with my coat and airline blanket.

Last but never least is the safety issue. In addition to the creepy desk, the dark halways and the people encountered in the lobby made us concerned for our well being. Each time we left 403 I carried everything of value with me in a huge bag because there was nowhere safe on the property to secure anything. Our room had no security chain or door bolt. It was locked by a flimsy interior door style mechanism that any 6-year-old could open with a credit card. We kept chairs and a table piled in front of the door to secure us in the room at night. This was good practice because at one point someone did try to enter the room without a knock or verbal warning and was thwarted only by the furniture.

I finally found another room elsewhere after two awful nights as an inmate of this insane asylum. Had to fight to checkout early without being charged for the last night of my reservation. When I told the owner I was leaving because his hotel is filthy and unsafe he told me my room was bad because I booked on the Internet. Huh!? He actually followed me onto the sidewalk as I was leaving to berate me and argue about the quality of the rooms and blamed the experience I had on the price point and the fact I used a booking service. Seriously? Shouldn't a hotel at any price be clean and safe, at the very least.

I sat in the lobby for over an hour watching people depart. It became obvious that no one left smiling and all seemed to flee from this place.

Bottom line: Stay away! Stay far far away!

Room Tip: Call The Paris France Hotel. It was wonderful and the staff there was extremely helpful. After learn...
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Staff was friendly and helpful and the price was good for Paris. Facility is very old and in need of an upgrade and rooms are tiny. The elevator is tiny and we still had to drag our suitcases down and up a few stairs to reach the room. There is a great deal of noise from nearby restaurants and bars until 1 or 2 in the morning. so earplugs are a must. WiFi was available in the lobby, but did not reach the rooms. The hotel is within walking distance of three subway stops and a good walk from major attractions. Many restaurants in the neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Odense
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was there for 2 days in the middle of May. Everything was really small. Firstly, it is not easy to find this hotel. The staircase and elevator are very small (width approx. for 1 person). Room is also small (except bed - it was the only normal size thing). But the size is not very important for me. However, there were other problems - with communications (you can see all water pipes in front of walls), thin walls (I could hear the phone ring from my friend apartment on another floor when I was calling him), and the place doesn't look safe to keep valuable thing in the room. The price was not corresponding to the service. It was late when we were searching for hotel (3 weeks before the actual date), so this one was among the cheapest hotels in the center part of Paris. So, if you have enough time, better book some other hotel (or find the apartment from the private advertisements). This one I would recommend only if you 1) have no time in advance, 2) don't want to spend lot of money, and 3) want to stay in a hotel in the center part of Paris.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I've always heard that you should avoid staying in chain hotels when visiting Paris to get the full experience. That being said, I'm of the believe that some people are under the mistaken impression that they should expect the same room you would get from a $300 a night hotel for the $90 that the Hotel Picard charges.

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and it was what I expected for the price. A room the size of an average bedroom with a small bathroom attached. I personally don't spend more time in my hotel room than I need to, so for me, it met my needs. My entire room was cleaned for me every day & items replaced when needed without having to ask. I understand that people might not like the size of the shower or the lift to get upstairs but like I said before, this is not a $300 a night hotel.

The street was quiet and pleasant. There are two nice bars, a good place to eat across from the hotel as well as being five minutes away from one of the best chocolatiers in Paris. You also have a very nice park that's a short walk from the hotel. The staff was very helpful, spoke English if needed and made some great recommendations for me. I believe that if you're polite, maintain eye contact and make an effort to try to speak in French that you should not have any problems. Almost everyone I encountered was extremely helpful and were more than happy to let me know how to say what I was asking for in French.

The neighborhood has the Republique metro station which can take you to most tourist attractions in about 20 to 30 minutes. I'd suggest getting an all day pass for however many days you will be there to save money. I was there for eight days and it would have cost me $50 more if I just bought them on a daily basis. There's a Monoprix grocery store on Boulevard de Saint-Martin just past Boulevard de Sebastopol on your left. i preferred it to the other markets in the area.

Overall, if you're looking for a posh room, this is not for you. If you just need a bed and a shower for a decent price, you'll be fine here. This hotel meets the needs for a solo traveler looking to save money on their trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The only positive things about this "hotel" is that we were able to book a room last minute. The rooms are SMALL and filthy, stains everywhere including on the curtains (how is that even possible). The towels were so old they were crunchy. The shower smelled like a urinal. The front desk agent was incredibly unfriendly and unhelpful. This place cost 65 eros a night, and I'm positive a hostel would have been better, or a car. This place is a filthy rip off with bad service.

Room Tip: Avoid this place entirely, sleep in your car.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Picard? Share your experiences!