“book this only in the last case” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Picard
26 rue de Picardie | 3rd Arr., 75003 Paris, France (Notre Dame / Marais)   |
Ranked #1,601 of 1,796 hotels in Paris
Odense
“book this only in the last case”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was there for 2 days in the middle of May. Everything was really small. Firstly, it is not easy to find this hotel. The staircase and elevator are very small (width approx. for 1 person). Room is also small (except bed - it was the only normal size thing). But the size is not very important for me. However, there were other problems - with communications (you can see all water pipes in front of walls), thin walls (I could hear the phone ring from my friend apartment on another floor when I was calling him), and the place doesn't look safe to keep valuable thing in the room. The price was not corresponding to the service. It was late when we were searching for hotel (3 weeks before the actual date), so this one was among the cheapest hotels in the center part of Paris. So, if you have enough time, better book some other hotel (or find the apartment from the private advertisements). This one I would recommend only if you 1) have no time in advance, 2) don't want to spend lot of money, and 3) want to stay in a hotel in the center part of Paris.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I've always heard that you should avoid staying in chain hotels when visiting Paris to get the full experience. That being said, I'm of the believe that some people are under the mistaken impression that they should expect the same room you would get from a $300 a night hotel for the $90 that the Hotel Picard charges.

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and it was what I expected for the price. A room the size of an average bedroom with a small bathroom attached. I personally don't spend more time in my hotel room than I need to, so for me, it met my needs. My entire room was cleaned for me every day & items replaced when needed without having to ask. I understand that people might not like the size of the shower or the lift to get upstairs but like I said before, this is not a $300 a night hotel.

The street was quiet and pleasant. There are two nice bars, a good place to eat across from the hotel as well as being five minutes away from one of the best chocolatiers in Paris. You also have a very nice park that's a short walk from the hotel. The staff was very helpful, spoke English if needed and made some great recommendations for me. I believe that if you're polite, maintain eye contact and make an effort to try to speak in French that you should not have any problems. Almost everyone I encountered was extremely helpful and were more than happy to let me know how to say what I was asking for in French.

The neighborhood has the Republique metro station which can take you to most tourist attractions in about 20 to 30 minutes. I'd suggest getting an all day pass for however many days you will be there to save money. I was there for eight days and it would have cost me $50 more if I just bought them on a daily basis. There's a Monoprix grocery store on Boulevard de Saint-Martin just past Boulevard de Sebastopol on your left. i preferred it to the other markets in the area.

Overall, if you're looking for a posh room, this is not for you. If you just need a bed and a shower for a decent price, you'll be fine here. This hotel meets the needs for a solo traveler looking to save money on their trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The only positive things about this "hotel" is that we were able to book a room last minute. The rooms are SMALL and filthy, stains everywhere including on the curtains (how is that even possible). The towels were so old they were crunchy. The shower smelled like a urinal. The front desk agent was incredibly unfriendly and unhelpful. This place cost 65 eros a night, and I'm positive a hostel would have been better, or a car. This place is a filthy rip off with bad service.

Room Tip: Avoid this place entirely, sleep in your car.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Sebastopol, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a poorly operated hotel. Dirty carpets, cramped rooms and, with one exception, an easily confused staff-even when all the instructions were given by our Parisian friend. We were moved to three separate rooms in five days. One room, 202, was very cramped, with a poor shower and NO LIGHTS! The owner brought up table lamps and extension cords for us and suggested leaving the TV on for more light. He said the problem was water in the walls and as soon as the wiring dried out it would be OK. That's a fire waiting to happen. He charged us full price too. There's more but this should be enough for you to want avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
St Ignatius, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My grown daughter and I stayed here for two nights and appreciated the friendly, helpful staff. We reserved a room for two with twin beds, and actually stayed in a room with one double bed and one twin bed. The beds were firm and the room had windows that open out onto a view of trees and a small cafe below. The breakfast was delicious. The location was great--close to Place de la Republique and a Metro station. There is a cafe on the corner and lots of shops and markets within easy walking distance. We stayed on week nights and found it to be a quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2012

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I visited Paris to sightsee, so a hotel was purely for sleeping in. I was therefore happy to go with a cheap option, hence this choice.

It is what you'd expect for the price - bedroom wasn't huge, and I opted for the shared bathroom facilities. However, it was perfect for my needs, and was more than happy with the room. Staff were all friendly, polite, helpful, and able to speak English when I attempted to use my poor French.

The hotel is in a good location - 10minutes walk from Republique - the metro has good connections, and there were lots of good restaurants.

Probably not the choice for a romantic weekend away, but perfect as a simple base for a city exploring trip.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

AVOID AT ALL COSTS..This Hotel is probably..correction was the worst Hotel I haver stayed at in my life.Camping out,hostel,sleeping in a train station would have been better.Location..dont be fooled it is still a fair walk to a metro.Cab drivers have an extraordinarly hard time finding street much alone hotel.One driver told me in22 years of living and driving in Paris this was his first trip to the street.He had to call twice to get directions.The tourist board rates this hotel as a two star..at best a half star..Hotel staff..mixed bag..Asian lady sweet helpful..French lady I am going to pass on because I think she just started.three men..two are fine no problms..the third whoI think may own the place is terrible...he is lazy ,intellectually lacking and not friendly..In addition he doesnt think some Americans understand French so he intersperses nasty phrases..I nailed him on that..Two cleaning ladies..they have a terrible task..there is not one area of the hotel that is clean..the lights are deliberately set at low power so you cant appreciate the threadbare carpeting,dirtywalls,exposed smelly pipes..Unfortunately in my seven days they only appeared 4 times...Lets go back to location again..BE aware there is construction all around hotel that commences at 8 am..it would appear from the structure that is being built it will be more than ayear before they are done.....ROOMS..this is the ultimate joke..My bed was 1 foot off floor it was a short bed..The bathroom is absolutely ridiculous...the toilet functions on the water tank idea.set at a high level.You know there is aproblem when there is a plunger next to toilet..Unless you are a gymnast taking a shower is a Herculean task.First the bath is like a small pool.to enter you have to climb on atable and step down into pool to get out you reverse feat..understand there are no rails..I dont know about you but climbing on porcelin is an accident waiting to happen....while talking about bathroom be aware that there are at least 6 exposed pipes in your toilet space..Also it appears that the hotel has an infestation of red ants..every morning there are dozens climbing over tooth brushes and in sink NOISE...In addition to building all around hotel the walls are thin really thinA phone call on another floor will easily awake you at all hours of the night..Running water thru pipes can als obe easily heard..I know we all make mistake about trying to save money with hotel rooms I know I am guilty of this ..However I would tell you over and over again AVOID this hotel at all costs..I love Paris but honestly if I had stay at the Picard I would rather stay home...PLEASE TAKE HEED OF WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN>>DONT MAKE MY ERROR INTO YOURS

Room Tip: If someone forced me at gun point to stay at Picard I would pick 207,This room is actually between 2...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Picard? Share your experiences!