“Hotel Picard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Picard

You added Hotel Picard to your Saves list
Hotel Picard
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   26 rue de Picardie | 3rd Arr., 75003 Paris, France (Le Marais)   |
Ranked #1,489 of 1,773 Hotels in Paris
Albany, New York
“Hotel Picard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I've always heard that you should avoid staying in chain hotels when visiting Paris to get the full experience. That being said, I'm of the believe that some people are under the mistaken impression that they should expect the same room you would get from a $300 a night hotel for the $90 that the Hotel Picard charges.

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and it was what I expected for the price. A room the size of an average bedroom with a small bathroom attached. I personally don't spend more time in my hotel room than I need to, so for me, it met my needs. My entire room was cleaned for me every day & items replaced when needed without having to ask. I understand that people might not like the size of the shower or the lift to get upstairs but like I said before, this is not a $300 a night hotel.

The street was quiet and pleasant. There are two nice bars, a good place to eat across from the hotel as well as being five minutes away from one of the best chocolatiers in Paris. You also have a very nice park that's a short walk from the hotel. The staff was very helpful, spoke English if needed and made some great recommendations for me. I believe that if you're polite, maintain eye contact and make an effort to try to speak in French that you should not have any problems. Almost everyone I encountered was extremely helpful and were more than happy to let me know how to say what I was asking for in French.

The neighborhood has the Republique metro station which can take you to most tourist attractions in about 20 to 30 minutes. I'd suggest getting an all day pass for however many days you will be there to save money. I was there for eight days and it would have cost me $50 more if I just bought them on a daily basis. There's a Monoprix grocery store on Boulevard de Saint-Martin just past Boulevard de Sebastopol on your left. i preferred it to the other markets in the area.

Overall, if you're looking for a posh room, this is not for you. If you just need a bed and a shower for a decent price, you'll be fine here. This hotel meets the needs for a solo traveler looking to save money on their trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The only positive things about this "hotel" is that we were able to book a room last minute. The rooms are SMALL and filthy, stains everywhere including on the curtains (how is that even possible). The towels were so old they were crunchy. The shower smelled like a urinal. The front desk agent was incredibly unfriendly and unhelpful. This place cost 65 eros a night, and I'm positive a hostel would have been better, or a car. This place is a filthy rip off with bad service.

Room Tip: Avoid this place entirely, sleep in your car.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Sebastopol, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a poorly operated hotel. Dirty carpets, cramped rooms and, with one exception, an easily confused staff-even when all the instructions were given by our Parisian friend. We were moved to three separate rooms in five days. One room, 202, was very cramped, with a poor shower and NO LIGHTS! The owner brought up table lamps and extension cords for us and suggested leaving the TV on for more light. He said the problem was water in the walls and as soon as the wiring dried out it would be OK. That's a fire waiting to happen. He charged us full price too. There's more but this should be enough for you to want avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
St Ignatius, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My grown daughter and I stayed here for two nights and appreciated the friendly, helpful staff. We reserved a room for two with twin beds, and actually stayed in a room with one double bed and one twin bed. The beds were firm and the room had windows that open out onto a view of trees and a small cafe below. The breakfast was delicious. The location was great--close to Place de la Republique and a Metro station. There is a cafe on the corner and lots of shops and markets within easy walking distance. We stayed on week nights and found it to be a quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2012

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I visited Paris to sightsee, so a hotel was purely for sleeping in. I was therefore happy to go with a cheap option, hence this choice.

It is what you'd expect for the price - bedroom wasn't huge, and I opted for the shared bathroom facilities. However, it was perfect for my needs, and was more than happy with the room. Staff were all friendly, polite, helpful, and able to speak English when I attempted to use my poor French.

The hotel is in a good location - 10minutes walk from Republique - the metro has good connections, and there were lots of good restaurants.

Probably not the choice for a romantic weekend away, but perfect as a simple base for a city exploring trip.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

AVOID AT ALL COSTS..This Hotel is probably..correction was the worst Hotel I haver stayed at in my life.Camping out,hostel,sleeping in a train station would have been better.Location..dont be fooled it is still a fair walk to a metro.Cab drivers have an extraordinarly hard time finding street much alone hotel.One driver told me in22 years of living and driving in Paris this was his first trip to the street.He had to call twice to get directions.The tourist board rates this hotel as a two star..at best a half star..Hotel staff..mixed bag..Asian lady sweet helpful..French lady I am going to pass on because I think she just started.three men..two are fine no problms..the third whoI think may own the place is terrible...he is lazy ,intellectually lacking and not friendly..In addition he doesnt think some Americans understand French so he intersperses nasty phrases..I nailed him on that..Two cleaning ladies..they have a terrible task..there is not one area of the hotel that is clean..the lights are deliberately set at low power so you cant appreciate the threadbare carpeting,dirtywalls,exposed smelly pipes..Unfortunately in my seven days they only appeared 4 times...Lets go back to location again..BE aware there is construction all around hotel that commences at 8 am..it would appear from the structure that is being built it will be more than ayear before they are done.....ROOMS..this is the ultimate joke..My bed was 1 foot off floor it was a short bed..The bathroom is absolutely ridiculous...the toilet functions on the water tank idea.set at a high level.You know there is aproblem when there is a plunger next to toilet..Unless you are a gymnast taking a shower is a Herculean task.First the bath is like a small pool.to enter you have to climb on atable and step down into pool to get out you reverse feat..understand there are no rails..I dont know about you but climbing on porcelin is an accident waiting to happen....while talking about bathroom be aware that there are at least 6 exposed pipes in your toilet space..Also it appears that the hotel has an infestation of red ants..every morning there are dozens climbing over tooth brushes and in sink NOISE...In addition to building all around hotel the walls are thin really thinA phone call on another floor will easily awake you at all hours of the night..Running water thru pipes can als obe easily heard..I know we all make mistake about trying to save money with hotel rooms I know I am guilty of this ..However I would tell you over and over again AVOID this hotel at all costs..I love Paris but honestly if I had stay at the Picard I would rather stay home...PLEASE TAKE HEED OF WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN>>DONT MAKE MY ERROR INTO YOURS

Room Tip: If someone forced me at gun point to stay at Picard I would pick 207,This room is actually between 2...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

If it was possible to avoid sinking into hyperbole for this hotel, I'd do so; I realise that hotels can't please everyone. With Hotel Picard, it just isn't possible.

Things started badly with a rushed check-in process, but soon became worse. First we walked up the old, filthy and rickety spiral staircase to our fifth-floor room (if this isn't a fire hazard, then I've no idea what one is) - and finally came to our door, above which a tatty electrical light flickered on and off endlessly. On entering, we were hit by a powerful smell: a foul, death-like stench that wouldn't clear, despite opening the windows.

The décor was incredibly dated, but that wasn't really an issue (despite the €75/night without bathroom price). What were issues, however, were the dirt in every corner, the worryingly red-stained fabric chair, a cracked bottom to the sink, a curiously sticky (?!) plywood wardrobe, and communal showers and toilets of such a standard that would make ablutions of any type an impossibility. On mentioning these points with the owners, we were met anger, sarcasm and derision. Ultimately, it was made clear that no refund would be possible despite our quick raising of the problems, and nor would an alternative room be offered. We ended up leaving, feeling both unwelcome and humiliated - despite treating the situation with as much good humour and tolerance as was possible in the face of what we came up against. Furthermore, when we contacted the hotel later on through our booking company (venere.com - also one to stay away from, as entirely useless when things go wrong), the owners had the cheek to deny that we'd raised any complaint at the time at all!! I've no idea who the 'lovely owners' mentioned in one of these reviews are; I can only assume that the hotel has recently fallen into new, and awful, management.

Our problem with this hotel wasn't over-high expectations. The lift and room were small, for example - it's Paris, so that's all to to be expected. It's also only a two star, so we weren't expecting The Ritz. Nevertheless, after staying in four other two star hotels in the surrounding area during our stay (we planned to see Paris from a few different locations), this was by far - and really by a phenomenal amount - the worst. It barely classifies as a hostel; a more accurate impression might be given by imagining the conditions and atmosphere surrounding a seedy, hostile, backstreet bordello.

The location was good - but on balance, in no way a saving grace.

Both myself and my partner have stayed in innumerable of hotels in this star-classification over the years, both in France and abroad. Hotel Picard makes a mockery of the star system in every sense. I've been able to refer them to the Tourism Ministry for a re-classification, so do check back on their star rating in a few months to see if that goes anywhere!

Please, please don't stay here. I can promise that you'll regret the decision. Refer to some of the other reviews here (especially the very recent foreign language ones) for further testament to its current condition; whatever this hotel may have been like in the past (judging by some of the older reviews), it now exists in only a dark, unwelcoming shadow of that former self. If putting it out of business through loss of custom helps to change this, then...well, all the better. It's not right to treat customers this way.

Really, really awful experience. Atrocious in every way.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Picard? Share your experiences!