“Cheap and very convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mistral

You added Hotel Mistral to your Saves list
Hotel Mistral
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24, rue Cels | 14 Arr., 75014 Paris, France (Montparnasse)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #311 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cheap and very convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been going to the Mistral for years now, for short weekends, when in France. Le Mistral is 2 blocks away from the Roissy shuttle bus stop and 4 blocks away from the metro, very conveniently located thus, and with plenty of restaurants and theaters in the little streets around. The neighborhood is very safe, well lit at night. For those interested in French literature, this is the place where Jean Paul Sartre and Simonne de Beauvoir used to meet. A very interesting cemetery is also just a block away, with lots of famous people there and great sculptures and artwork on their spots. The staff is really very nice and helpful. The breakfast is not very expensive and is very copious, fresh and tasty. Room prices are very cheap for Paris. The rooms are not fancy, so don't expect the Hilton, but if a clean, good, and quiet spot at a good/cheap price is what you are looking for then you will not be disappointed. Also, there's no air conditioning in most French hotels, and this goes for the Mistral. Another thing is the Montparnasse tower is right next door, which means lots of nice shopping, and also the Montparnasse train station is also right there, making it convenient to travel to other parts of the country.

Room Tip: There are rooms that have bathooms and showers, others without these. The price is a bit higher with...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Located just around the Montparnasse cemetery corner, the hotel is currently under fully refurbishing. The problem is that they continue to offer rooms nothwistanding the fact that noise, dust and a sort of chemical smell are present in every part of the hotel...
The ownership told me that by the end of 2012/early 2013 they will finish the works and that the hotel will be fitted with a lift (today there is not) and other amenities; but unfortunately I used to to stay there at the beginning of October 2012...and the room was very "sad" and uncomfortable.
Based on the above my rate is definitely poor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Mistral in April at the start of our five week backpacking trip through Europe. The hotel was easy to find from Gare de Montparnasse and upon arrival although our room wasn't quite ready because we were early they were more than happy to store our bags and get the room ready within half an hour.

The location has great access to the catacombs and the train station that takes you to Versailles (if visiting Paris do not miss a trip out to the chateau). There are some great restaurants just around the corner which are lively and fun and not as busy or expensive as the restaurantes in the touristy areas. A great way to experience the Parisian culture.

Notre Dame and the Louvre are walkable (we walked everywhere and it was never an issue) but for quick access the metro is also close to get to all of the main sites. It is also very easy to get to the main train station if you are travelling on from Paris to another city.

The hotel has complimentary wifi, a warm and cozy lobby and an eating nook that is quiet and comfortable. They also have a great quart yard area just outside the eating nook.

The room is small and simple but serves all the purposes of a backpacker and since we basically just needed a place to sleep it was perfect. We were even upgraded to a room with a private bathroom instead of the one we had booked with a shared bathroom. There is no lift just stairs but it didn't bother us in the least. The hotel is well marked from the street and we would definitely recommend staying here. The price is great in comparison to what is offered at other hotels and because there is so much to see and do in Paris it is good for a short or longer stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights in Paris in July. We were happy with the service of the staff at the hotel and the cleanliness of the room. The hotel is in the Montparnasse district of Paris, right near the Gaite Train Station so the metro is only a few blocks away. It was only a few stops from the key sites of Paria such as the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.
Overall our stay was good. The rooms were a decent size for a touristy stay (a place to sleep and leave your belongings securely) We had an issue with the paper thin walls. We could hear every bodily movement coming from the neighbors bathroom who was clearly in a fair bit of distress. Understand the eating habits of the hotel clientel is not the hotels issue, but the wall thickness is.

Also, the hotel provides a baggage service whereby it can store your bags for you if you arrive early, or are departing the city well after you check out. This was appreciated, but it is merely a room around the corner from the reception. We were able to walk in at the end of the day and grab our bags without the man at the desk seeing us. It would have been easy to grab the laptop bag next to mine if I had wanted too.

Worth the money, but won't be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The hotel is clean and everyone is very kind. The only issue is the lack of a lift (they are workig to install one in the near future) but the price was very competitive. I think this hotel is a good compromise for having a lovely hotel located in a quiet location, with silent nights and in the centre of Paris.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My sister and I had an en-suite double room. Everything was immaculate. We had no complaints whatsoever. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. On our first night, the hotel's wifi was not working, but they did everything they could to remedy the problem. Every night afterwards, the hotel's wifi worked perfectly.
The hotel is very close to Gare Montparnasse, making it very accessible to every part of Paris and Versailles.
Overall, the hotel was clean and well-priced. We loved our stay there in Paris!

Room Tip: Although the en-suite rooms are more expensive, I definitely think that they are worth it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I was only staying here one night as it was a last minute decision to come back to Paris for that day and I was moving into a different hotel the next day. I was on level 3, and there was a toilet on that level but from what I could see the actual shower was on the ground floor. I wasn't really told where the facilities were so I had to find out by myself. In the room you get a TV, bed, basin and basic wardrobe. It was a little bit dirty, well the cover for the bed was slighty dirty but the sheets were clean.

The TV was unplugged for some reason, so I had to climb onto the rickety chair in the room and reconnect the TV. One of the bedside lamps were missing so it was just exposed wires. My room was 70 euros which I think was actually a little overpriced. It's a pretty good area in that it was close to Gare Montparnasse but I don't think I'll stay here again. I have a couple of other hotels in Paris that would probably be more on my list to stay. At least in those you get your own bathroom ...

Room Tip: I don't really know as I don't know whether there are superior rooms that might be a better...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Mistral? Share your experiences!