“good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Paris - Vendome

You added The Westin Paris - Vendome to your Saves list
The Westin Paris - Vendome
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Rue De Castiglione, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Palais-Royal)   |
Ranked #564 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Zurich
“good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

The Westin's main asset is its location, ideal for visiting the right bank's main attractions. It is in an impressive-looking classical building, which is at the root of its inconsistency: the better rooms are excellent, but the more basic ones (I've stayed in one before, but would not pay for one again) can be dismally small, dark, and noisy. Since services are billed at the same high rates, one can actually get better value out of a higher priced room.
My junior suite was quite satisfactory, spacious enough for Paris, with everything in working order. No complaints here.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Cushnahan, Front Office Manager at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Dear hp1212,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion of your stays with us.

Indeed we have a varied range of rooms to suit all needs and am happy to see that you had selected the perfect room type on this occasion.

Look forward to having you back with us.

Conor Cushnahan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Great Location - Rooms are mediocre at best - Room service charges are simply outrageous (I am a platinum level guest with both Marriott & SPG) - and I have never seen prices this high, on top of which the food was mediocre at best. It was about $120 for pizza and 2 bottles of still water. On top of this if you have any issues what so ever good luck in getting Management to respond, or act on them - the attitude you will get is one of arrogance and non concern.

I stayed at this hotel back in August its now the end of October and have yet to find resolution to my issue. Over 20 emails have been sent to the general manager, and all to no resolution. If I do get a response it has taken over a week at a time to get an email response, the last email was sent 10 days ago with no response.

The issue is I managed to leave some property in my room upon check out (a shirt and a camera lens), I asked that it be sent back to me at my cost. I had sent several emails back and fourth to housekeeping and other staff, to make sure they had the correct shipping address. One month later I get an email saying the shipper returned my property because the shipping information was incorrect - I got this from housekeeping. Now mind you I was very specific on shipping instructions and the error was made by the hotel. I was scheduled to go on a family vacation in October and it would have been nice to have my camera equipment with me, but this did not happen thanks to the hotel. The hotel reshipped it and 5 1/2 weeks later (and after my vacation) I think it has been delivered, at this time I am traveling so I can not confirm this. Once I asked for compensation or at the least an apology the hotels Management has a not our fault attitude. Even after sending a copy of the email chain which clearly shows the hotel had the information needed and taht the error was clearly there fault the General manager (Marie Paule Vande Velde) seems reluctant to compensate in any way.

Now note I am SPG's highest tier of guest (Platinum) - point being if they treat there most valued guest this way how will they treat you ?

As of this posting its been 10 days and I have not recieved a reply to my last email - it shows how much Ms Marie Paule Vande Velde the hotel general manager values her customers. If you stay here good luck, I would not expect too much - certainly not up to Starwood's standards !!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Cushnahan, Front Office Manager at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Dear goodbadandugly,

Thank you for posting your review.

We are happy to have been able to return your forgotten items at the hotel to you as soon as the misunderstanding encountered with the chosen mailing address had been clarified.

Our intentions had always been to return the forgotten items to you as soon as possible, though regret that it has taken further correspondence to address your compensation request.

You mention the rates of certain items on our in room dining menu, which totals to over twice the actual amount we charge. I do apologize should there have been some misunderstanding with the rates though can confirm that your invoice was correctly charged.

We trust you enjoyed your stay with us in the heart of Paris and do look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Kind regards,

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

I booked the Westin, Paris for the last 2 nights of my honeymoon thinking it would be the perfect place to end our trip.

The hotel is quite beautiful, with a big courtyard in the middle and elegant common spaces. It's in a great central location; we were able to walk just about anywhere in Paris and the Louvre, Seine, Grand Palais, etc. are all just steps away.

However, even with all that being said, I would absolutely never stay here again.

Our room (#3094 to be exact) was the problem. The listed rack rate of our room was 749 Euros, the cheapest in the house. Even if the room had been an actual room worthy of the Westin's name, I still wouldn't think it was worth more than 300 Euros.

In any event, our room was NOT worthy of the Westin's name. For one thing, it looked like someone had done some serious partying there recently - there were chips on the toilet seat and something white (paint, I hope) smeared on the headboard of the bed. There were also black splotchy marks on the floor of the bathroom, as if someone had dripped very dirty water there. These marks came up easily enough with a wet tissue, so it was very evident that the bathroom had not been fully cleaned before we arrived (nor was it fully cleaned while we were there). Worst of all, despite being promised a "Heavenly Bed (R)" in every single confirmation email I received, we, in fact, were given no such thing. Not only did our bed not contain the requisite "five plush pillows" (or any plush pillows - ours were all lumpy and misshapen) but it also did not contain a pillow-top mattress of any kind. It was, in fact, one of the hardest and most uncomfortable beds I have slept on. The mattresses and pillows also appeared to be quite old, and they aggravated my allergies so badly I still have a sore throat 3 days later. The room also did not have the "Heavenly Shower (R)" but I guess I don't know if every Westin room is supposed to have one of those (previous rooms I have stayed in certainly did).

We did pay for our room with Starwood points rather than cash, but I'm quite sure that my Starwood Gold Status was supposed to entitle me to an upgrade, if anything. I can't imagine why it would result in me being given a downgrade. In fact, I am so disgusted with the Westin that I am no longer participating in the Starwood loyalty program at all. If this is what they were able to reward me with for being a "loyal" customer, I am not interested.

Shame on me for not insisting on a new room immediately, but by the time I noticed how awful the bed was it was the wee hours of the first night and after that it didn't even seem worth it to bother for the second night. I was much more focused on having a great end to my honeymoon, which of course we did, despite the room situation. Besides, there is no reason anyone should have ever be given a room like that in any Westin, and I shouldn't have had to complain in order to get what I was promised in the first place.

As an aside, we have previously stayed at the Le Meridian in Montparnasse and we were quite happy there. It's a bit farther away from a lot of the touristy spots, but we actually preferred that, and the Paris Metro is so easy to use it really doesn't matter where you stay.

Dear Great Melissa999,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review of your stay.

I sincerely apologize for the disappointment that you encountered during this recent stay. Please rest assured that we do have an ongoing maintenance program to keep our rooms up to our high standards, though again apologize that this was not the case on this occasion.

For your information all our 440 rooms and suites have the famous Westin Heavenly bed, and our pillow-top mattresses are attached to each of our mattresses. Indeed over the year the heavenly shower heads have changed and do vary from hotel.

Your review is disappointing and does not reflect upon our usual level of service. should you allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future I would be very confident that we would make a world of difference.

Kind regards,

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Recently I stayed with my wife at the Westin Paris Vendome. This was our first trip without our kids in close to 10 years, and we were hoping to at the very least stay in touch with our family via email.

The rooms were comfortable, although the walls are paper thin. The staff was quite helpful, and the location can't be beat.

Unfortunately, the internet options at the Westin were some obscenely outrageously expensive, using the internet at the hotel was not a feasible option. Our options were as follows:

-- Use internet on the TV in the room for about $70 per day
-- Use the computers in the business center for over $20 per hour
-- Use a wireless connection-- but only available in the lobby-- for over $20 per day

Somehow the Westin made every option either incredibly expensive, incredibly inconvenient or both. There is no way that the internet is so expensive in France that the Westin should feel they need to charge these amounts.

This inconvenience was a major problem in what ordinarily would be considered an excellent place to stay.

Dear ColoTraveler68,

Thank you for the review.

I am delighted that you found our rooms comfortable and our associates very helpful, though regret the noise issues that you had encountered on this occasion.

The internet prices you mention for the interactive in room TV, are much lower than that you state. I regret that the prices and options had not been made more clear to you on this occasion, though do thank you for your comments on our internet access options.

Sincere regards,

Montrose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Based on the pictures on spg.com, we were under the impression that the Westin Paris was newly rennovated. However, that is not the case. The furniture in our room looked tired, the walls had markings and dents on them, the white toilet seat has black scraps/cuts on them, the bath tub had black mold on the sides, the carpet is old and dirty, and the tv is small. Although the tv is a small flat screen, they did not have channels to support the flat screen. Additionally, no HD channels were provided. By the end our our stay, we really missed our LCD w/ HD at home.

We like the Westin brand because of the comfortable beds. However, at the Westin Paris, the bed was not fluffy and comfy. It did not have a pillow/feather top bed. Also, the spare blanket had dark brown marks (we were hoping it was chocolate stains) on them.

The staff is not friendly. Usually, at 4 - 5 star hotels, most hotel staff will greet you or acknowledge you. This is not the case at this hotel. Several staff members walked right past us as if we were ghosts in the hall. We did not feel welcomed at this hotel.

BE WARNED, the walls are paper thin. Since we love the Eiffel Tower, we opted for a room with a view. The street is very noisy but the neighbors were even louder! Each night, our neighbors came in between 2:00 a.m. - 2:30 a.m. and woke my husband and I up every night!!!! I expressed my concern to the front desk, I was shown a much smaller room on the fifth floor with a TUBE TV, and refused. I felt like I was in a shoebox. The rep from the front desk further explained to me that all older building in Paris have paper thin walls and can't be avoided. That is not true, since last year we stayed at the Sofitel and never had any problems with noise. Also, the hotel rep and I shared an elevator which smelled of sour milk or throw up. She smelled it also. I asked if someone would take care of it. She assured me it would be taken care of. Was it taken care of? Nope. After four days, it still smelled of sour milk. Yuck!

The concierge sucks. We asked the concierge to make reservations at a popular restaurant. They simply said, "We've tried for 6 weeks and they never pick up." Well, they didn't even offer to try! Also, we asked for directions to the airport via subway/train. They gave us the wrong info! We had to ask the subway attendents for help since the directions they gave us was wrong wrong wrong! I recommend not to bother with them. They suck and are just looking for a tip.

The breakfast was meh. Nothing great, nothing new, nothing surprising. The scrambled eggs were gross! I wish our room didn't come with breakfast so we could have walked over to Angelina for breakfast everyday.

On the plus side, the view from our room was spectacular! Watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle every night, every hour, was splendid. It made up for the bad service and mediocre room.

Will we ever stay at this hotel again? NO WAY! I'd rather stay elsewhere. They should be categorized as a 3 - 3.5 star hotel.

Dear parkleeh,

Thank you for taking the time out to add your review.

I am very disappointed to read such a review and must admit that I am very surprised to read such a negative experience in our property.

Please rest assured that such an experience is not a common one, though also that I will be following up on each issue raised in order to make better.

I do however regret not having the opportunity to have met with you and would hope that you would contact me in the near further should you be returning to Paris.

Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Choosing the right hotel in Paris can be daunting but the moment we arrived at the hotel and were so warmly greeted by the doorman, all my worries dissipated into the balmy Parisian air. Our check-in was a pleasure; warm, friedly and the staff made us feel like we were the only guests in the hotel.
I can't comment on the size of the rooms but having decided to book a room with a view I wasn't disappointed. We were very kindly upgraded to a suite ( as we were celebrating a special anniversary) and its impact on my wife was only bettered by the stunning views from all the windows (even the bathroom!). If you are here for romance I would urge you to go the extra mile and pay for a room with a view as it really is worth it to look out at the Tuilleries Gardens, the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay,Place de la Concorde and the Eifel Tower in all its glory.
Previous comments on Trip Advisor about the staff being unfriendly were well wide of the mark for us as everyone without exception greeted us with patience and warmth. We had quite a few trips to the Concierge's desk and found them knowledgeable and helpful at all times. Likewise the Front Desk staff were always very pleasant and obliging and Housekeeping staff always stopped their work on corridors to say "Bonjour"!

The location of the hotel is also superb, within walking distance of most of the major attractions and there is a Metro just two minutes walk from the hotel. The area is also great for restaurants and shopping.
Breakfast is excellent with a very wide range of both hot and cold foods but it is expensive and having paid so much for a room I always find it unfair to have to pay extra for breakfast and the price for use of Broadband is also high but these are minor quibbles. In all I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and I can't thank the staff enough for making our stay so memorable.

Dear GalwayDeco,

Thank you for this review.

What a wonderful story you have to tell of a perfect renewing stay in the heart of Paris!

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The Westin Paris is a truly sumptuous hotel right in the heart of Paris, a few minutes walk from the Louvre Museum. It is celebrating its fifth birthday at the moment, but the building is full of old character and has been renovated to a very high standard. The public areas are very smart, with the reception overlooking a beautiful internal courtyard.

My room was a little snug in size, but had been furnished with high quality wall coverings, easy chairs, plenty of cupboard space, and a very comfortable bed. There was a good tv with plenty of English-language channels (including BBC1!), mini bar (but, sadly, no tea/coffee maker), iron, safe and a spacious well-lit bathroom with all amenities. Wired internet was available for a fee, or wireless in the public areas. My room had a street-aspect on the second floor and there was quite noticeable noise from traffic outside. Other rooms look out onto the internal courtyards.

Breakfast was available in the gorgeous boudoir-style restaurant. It was 38 euros for the full English buffet, although there were less expensive options available. The food was extensive and tasty. I had a room service meal on one evening – three courses plus water/wine for 55 euros so not too bad.

The staff were friendly and helpful with none of the offhand snootiness that similar establishments sometimes suffer from. I felt welcome and a valued guest, despite staying just one night on a “free” promotion through Starwood Preferred Guest (a real bargain given that the room would otherwise have cost 339 euros!).

I was really very pleased with the Westin and, if you're comfortable with the typically expensive Paris hotel rates, would recommend it highly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Dear Stevie390,

Great review of your stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to share your inspiring thoughts.

Conor Cushnahan

Been to The Westin Paris - Vendome? Share your experiences!