“Quaint little hotel that does the trick for a night - but don't expect anything fancy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ermitage

You added Hotel Ermitage to your Saves list
Hotel Ermitage
42 bis rue Ermitage | Quartier de Ménilmontant - 20ème arrondissement, 75020 Paris, France (Belleville)   |
Ranked #1,196 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Ermitage for two nights in July 2008 on my first ever trip to Paris. I am a young female and was traveling on my own, so had booked the hotel for the purposes of having my own little space whilst I acquainted myself with the city.

PRICE: I booked through hostelbookers and paid 38 Euros/night for a private single with shared bathroom. For me this worked out to roughly AUD$75/night, so it was quite pricey even for a budget hotel. I have since heard that even though it is Paris, it is possible to get a budget hotel with a private bathroom for that price or less - however I did not come across any.

LOCATION: Hotel is located in the 20th androissement (district), so is not all that close to the city centre (however I caught the metro to most sights in around 10-20mins, depending on where I was headed). The neighbourhood itself was fairly quiet, but my gut feeling was that it was pretty safe, and I had no troubles wandering by myself in the evenings. There some decent and reasonably-priced restaurants in the area (you just need to be prepared to walk around to find them) and also a few markets selling fresh fruit.

ROOMS: My room was on the seventh floor (and there is no elevator), so I certainly got my exercise running up and down! And I should probably mention here the view. This is probably what pushed this hotel from a "Poor" to an "Average" for me - the view from my room and the seventh floor was just gorgeous. I could see out over the rooftops and the unmistakable silhouette of the Eiffel Tower was clearly visible. Tres romantique! Rooms are a little cramped, but as there was only me (and I am not that big anyway) I was happy here for the two nights. There was a table and chair in one corner, as well as a basin and sink in another. The room also had a safe, TV and telephone. The bed was small but comfortable. My only complaint would be the cleanliness - I have a feeling I might have been bitten by bed bugs whilst staying there (I had tiny, red itchy bites all over my back and shoulders). I am not a fussy person, and the itchiness died down after a few days, but if you have allergies I would steer clear of the Hotel Ermitage (at least until they give the linen a good wash!) The bathroom was shared, and was on my floor just steps from my room. Shower worked well, tiles were a little old, but as I saw nobody else throughout my stay (and thus did not have to share), I cannot complain.

AMENITIES: None to speak of; if there was internet I did not know about it, and the hotel is very basic, so I doubt there are many included perks. At the end of the day it is a budget hotel/hostel, but it does not pretend to be otherwise, so if you are ok to look elsewhere for internet and food, Hotel Ermitage is fine.

SERVICE: I did not have many interactions with staff (nor did I see many). The man at check-in was very sweet and carried my luggage up the seven flights of stairs for me. Upon check-out he carried it back down again. Apart from that I was left to my own devices, which suited me just fine.

In all honesty, I probably would not stay here again. After my two nights here I moved on to St Christopher's Inn (located by the Canal St-Martin in the 19th androissement), and although I was in a shared dormitory, it was cleaner and nicer. Still, I do not regret those first two nights at the Hotel Ermitage. There is something very Parisienne about buying a baguette et fromage and a bottle of wine...and heading up to your tiny room to watch the sun set over the city.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Me and my boyfriend stayed there for four nights. The rooms are very small but that did not bother us as we were in town all day and stayed there just for sleeping.
I found it surprisingly clean because I had expected a different standard in a cheap hotel in Paris. The room was cleaned every day and they changed the sheets every second day. There were no cockroaches or other disgusting insects.
The staff were very friendly to us, I wonder why others made different experiences. Maybe it was because we spoke french with them as far as we could.
The area is very quiet and friendly, there are many shops(mostly grocery), some good restaurants and you can have a good walk into town, passing a very muticultural part of the city. Moreover you have a nice view on the city and can even see the top of the eiffel tower there.
Both of us would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

I feel I have to put in a good word for the Ermitage Hotel, as a lot of people have given it quite negative reviews.
I stayed there with my girlfriend earlier this month and did not find the facilities or location as bad as they had been made out on here.
The hotel is a budget hotel (though with the exchange rate at the moment, that did kind of goes out the window), so you must bear this in mind when booking. I found the staff were pleasant and there if needed. The levels of cleanliness were good. Our room was cleaned every day, though the sheets weren't changed. The bathroom's are very small. There is a safe in each room, which I thought was quite good. The area is quiet.
The location is very close to Jourdain Metro and within walking distance of Pere Lachaise. This did not prove a problem for us and infact gave us glimpses of areas we would not have normally visited.
On the whole a satisfactory hotel. Would use again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Jeddah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

I HATE THE STAFFS. THey are very very rude.nododys helping me to carry my luggages untill i reached in the 6th floor. the stairs is very uncomfortable ,its too small and spiral. i felt dizzy when i reached in the 6th floor. The staf are not helpful.Better not to stay in this hotel

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

A little daunted on my arrival to be told I was on the 6th floor and there was no lift and certainly no help!! Staff helpful if prompted but not terribly forthcoming at other times. I booked a single room with shared bathroom....well a toilet in a cupboard and a shower not a lot bigger, however the water was hot and there was plenty of it. The room although shabby with old worn out linen was clean and quiet...no one else on the 6th floor!! The area was ok and quiet at night with lots of ethnic resturants around plus a great view to the eiffel tower from my floor. Would not recommend this hotel although it was great pricewise.

• Liked — View from 6th floor and quiet area
  • Disliked — The Climb, No T/coffee facilities, shabby room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

Decent hotel for the price. The staff was OK, kind of looked sketchy at first though. Rooms seemed clean. However, the location is very far from main attraction is it seems like you are in a gettho or something. If you are on a budget this place is OK.

Stayed June 2007
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

Dont even think about it!!!!!!!!!! Owners were sooooo RUDE. Rooms were Teeny Tiny. Bathroom the size of Barbies Bathroom. The whole joint needs to be ripped down and redone. Towels that were supplied were dirty and ripped. Bed sheets stunk. What ever you do...dont stay here!!!!!!!!!!!

• Disliked — Everything!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Ermitage? Share your experiences!