“Good location, not very welcoming.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Avenir Hotel

You added Avenir Hotel to your Saves list
Avenir Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Boulevard Rochechouart | 9th Arr., 75009 Paris, France   |
Ranked #1,181 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Elburn, Illinois, United States
“Good location, not very welcoming.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Although Monmartre may not have been for my fiance and I, it was a beautiful location located right next to the Sacre Coeur and blocks from The Moulin Rouge. I would ask from the 6th floor I believe it was room 39, beautiful view, one window was the Sacre Coeur and the other was the Eiffel Tower! There wasn't much to do in the hotel, but that's okay because you're out most of the day anyway. No A/C which wasn't fun when it was in the high 80s at night there. There was one of the hop-on-hop-off tour bus stops right outside of the hotel which I would suggest doing!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The hotel is just beside (50m) from the Metro station Anvers. From our family room on 1. floor we had a nice view of the top of Sacre Cour, which is only a 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel. The can be a lot of noise from the busy Boulevard just in front of the hotel, but the windows are very soundproof - so as long as they are close everything is quiet. The beds where good and the room and toilet clean, but the hotel as such is very worn. The staff is helpful (they forgot to bring our breakfast one of the mornings, though) and relatively good at English.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I will tell you why this hotel is the better choice than Le Regent if you are backpacking. The bathrooms. It could just be my experience, but I also found this hotel roomier, cleaner, and more french for the same price than Le Regent next door. In any case, clean and cost-effective is the key in Paris and Avenir fits the bill. I was on a hostel tour of Europe so it made no difference to me it was full of backpackers. This place would also be ideal too for a couple doing the tour that's budgeted, but varied. Breaking the bank can happen later in Florence. I'm spending my money on Pere-Lachaise Cemetery to see the Lizard King, not my hotel room.
Clean and safe is what one expects from any hotel, and this place for me was a great place to store my things while I went to the Louvre, or Versailles, but, aside from sleeping, I didn't spend much time there. No complaints though. The Hotels location is perfect. One could literally walk to allot of the sites one wants to see, but le metro is located directly outside Avenir, and this world-class subway system goes anywhere in the city.
Remiss I would be if I forgot to mention the tiny elevator. So old-world, but refreshingly common in all Europe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Pros: 1) Fantastic view of the Sacre Coeur from my room (I was on the sixth floor). This really made my day when I walked into my room and saw the stunning sight. A tip when booking, try to request a room on the higher floors facing the main road (Rue de Rochechouart), 2) Convenient location. Close to Anvers metro station, which is a few stops away from Gare du Nord and Gare de l’Est. 3) Free wi-fi!
Cons: 1) The bathroom was very small. There’s not too much room to move around in there. 2) The decor of the place felt quite old and in need of a few repairs. Then again, taking into account the price of the room per night, you do get what you paid for. 3) The service and friendliness of the staff wasn’t always consistent. When I asked one of the staff to book a shuttle bus to the airport, the impression that she gave me was that she really didn’t have time to answer all my questions. 4) The location of the hotel is about two metro rides (or a 10 minute walk) away from the red light district (e.g. Pigalle metro station) and the Moulin Rouge. Even though I was travelling on my own, I didn’t mind this so much as long as I wasn’t out too late at night but just a heads up in case you did not wish to stay so close to this area. 5) The rooms aren't sound proof. at least 3 out of the 5 nights during my stay, I was woken during the night and early in the morning by the people from the next door, who liked to have loud conversations in the hallroom. The walls are quite thin so I would often be able to hear their entire conversation. Be sure to sleep with ear plugs if you're a light sleeper!
Overall: For 63 Euros a night, this hotel was fine. But taking everything into account, the next time I’m in Paris, I might l look for another place within the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Simple but nice hotel with a great quality-price ratio. Perfect for an overnight stay. The view from the hotel rooms on the top floor over the Montmartre is awesome :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Dont expect a fancy room, and you'll find everything else just what you need! We booked the 5th floor room with the panoramic View, and it was awsome!!! From one side of our balcony, we were staring right at Sacred Heart church! From the other, the Eiffel Tower! Subway right across the street, and great Restaurants and Bars everywhere!! I'm sure for the price, we couldnt have done better!!!

Room Tip: Room 32 is definately the best!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Despite reading some earlier bad reviews, we booked this hotel for a 2 night stay over the Bastille Day weekend as it was one of the few hotels that offered a quad room for a family that was affordable in a convenient location. Following advise on Trip Advisor, I did email the hotel direct after booking and requested a room with views if possible - they replied quickly and said they would try. They certainly did, as we had a room on the 5th floor with a fantastic view of Sacre Coeur. The hotel was clean, obviously being renovated (seems most things are done), the staff were always friendly and helpful. The bathroom was old, but clean so if you don't mind mismatched tiling and old toilet seats (all clean), you'll be fine. We opted for the breakfast, which for 6 euros delivered to your room, was fine. Rooms had TV, free wifi, room safe etc. Balcony doors kept a lot of street noise out - but noise within the hotel can be noticeable (we travel with earplugs and our kids sleep through anything so all good). We also found a couple of good restaurants within a block, and walked to Gare du Nord when we left (and Anvers metro is also very close).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - you might be lucky.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Avenir Hotel? Share your experiences!