“Not too Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kube Hotel

You added Kube Hotel to your Saves list
Kube Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-5, Passage Ruelle | 18th Arr., 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #1,269 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Brechin, United Kingdom
“Not too Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 6 am and was completely underwhelmed!!!!

Reception is in a plexiglass cube in the centre of a yard! Tiny and not inspiring.From there you pass through a very dark bar / dining area on a wobbly floor to the elevator to your room. The finger print recognition door opening system was not working. The actual key for this room (206) was lost.

Inside the rooms are surprisingly spacious and bright. Clean and well appointed. A reasonable bath/ shower area - however the gratis toiletries were only replenished once in 5 days. Very comfortable bed with clean linen. If you want to use the coffee machine you need to be an astrophysicist - I ended up spraying the wall with boiling water - also they charge you 3 Euro for each coffee capsule which is not made apparent.

However I was upgraded to a junior suite because of the key problem and it was a lovely room - the staff even moved all of my stuff for me! Initially the staff seemed a bit stand offish - but after a couple of days they were very good to me and my colleagues.

If you like 60's kitsch this is the hotel for you. The area around is very much an immigrant (North African) area but it is OK! The restaurant is not great but breakfast is acceptable.

Three of us stayed here and both of my colleagues had problems in their rooms - boiling hot shower, room temperature too high etc..... I feel that if this hotel could sort out the small problems like this it would be very good for those that like that sort of designer hotel.

Room Tip: 307 - junior suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I booked this hotel in Paris without reading any reviews .... When I started reading the reviews I was slightly panicky as me and my husband was going to Paris to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary..

The Kube is quirky and exactly as it looks in the photo's. I didnt feel intimaidated in the location, as I found the area to be like any other european city.

We thouroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay, however we didn't eat at the hotel as we ate out in the city.

There is a lovely bakery around the corner and a supermarket for that cheeky bottle of wine across the road.

Monmatre is within walking distance and there is a metro nearby to get you around the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Kube hotel in Paris was very clean, staff were helpful and pleasant. check in and out very fast. Area is a bit run down but good connections by metro to Touristy bits. Breakfast of reasonable selection. Bed very very comfy. Room deco was modern. Airconditioning system not working which a lot of reviews have already mentioned several times and I can't imagine why they have not fixed it. I would be very unwilling to stay there during the height of summer if airconditioning is not fixed. Ice bar non functioning. All in all, nice hotel, staff okay and if you just want a place to sleep, it will do.

Room Tip: Make sure airconditioning works.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had a 2 night break at the Kube Hotel. All the Staff were lovely in particular Eugene & Laurent who were so helpful. We had a couple of little problems but they were sorted out immediately with no fuss. Laurent recommended a lovely restuarant for us and booked a taxi & a table for us even though the bar area was really busy due to an exhibition being on at the time. Unfortunately I have to agree that the area was not particularly nice but it is very handy to La Chapelle metro which is only a few mins walk away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Was probably a nice concept designer hotel - but the curve is heading significant downward.

Dont go here - the location is not that good - regardless the only 20 min. walk from Monmartre.
Lots of things did not really work in the room and was not repaired.
One morning they did not serve breakfast - no explanation ( there was no waiters) When they chose to serve breakfast it was pretty bad breakfast - given you are in France...
The Icebar which was a part of the night clubbing bar concept has been closed.

We are pretty disappointed and find Kube Hotel way to expensive for such a crabby place.
We paid 600 Euro for 3 nights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have just returned from a 5-night stay at The Kube Hotel in Paris. After reading several of the reviews we felt excited about the hotel, but dubious about the surrounding areas. We were right as the hotel was fabulous but was surrounded by an area resembling a ghetto at times, especially at rush hour. We went out every night and were sure to avoid Stalingrad station late at night (as recommended in the Lonely Planet guide). La Chapelle station was pretty safe though, although we were approached by a suspicious bloke when purchasing our metro tickets. Try to buy tickets from one of the busier, more touristy areas if possible...

The hotel itself attracted us because it was ultra modern and funky and we were particularly attracted by the ice bar. Unfortunately, the ice bar was not operational when we were there. It was actually a rather sorry looking room with the remnants of chairs and tables and was half melted. On the day of our departure, the ice sculpture team were back to repair the faults (the receptionist mentioned a problem with licensing?) so you will probably be lucky enough to experience the ice bar if you stay in the next week or so...

Our room was fantastic, although we couldn't figure out the lights? The safe worked (I noticed that several reviews said they didn't!) and the fingerprint access was a lot of fun. My husband and I (we were on our honeymoon) were bickering over who got to open the room lol. Staff all very friendly. We had cocktails in the bar every night and they were delicious (albeit very expensive, but not unusual for Paris). House keeping did a very good job at changing towels and refreshing bedding and toiletries etc.

Overall fab hotel and would definitely recommend it. Still feel somewhat unhappy about the area (although we were warned) and the lack of ice bar. Perhaps ring up and ask if its working before booking?

Incidentally, the cheese platter was yummy :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place was futuristic and fun but it really needs a more assured identity. Unusual to say when on the surface they appear to have a strong idea of what they are, as a young, stylish concept space. What they really are is a very cool nightclub masquerading as a hotel, restaurant and bar.

Take their expense on having a fingerprint scanner instead of a key. Whilst this is a great idea, it’s not something I was entirely comfortable with. Say I was an international drug lord always trying to stay one step ahead of Interpol, I would imagine that having to have my fingerprint on file at the Kube would mean I would find a different hotel to stay at.

On a more serious note, it's the little things that you expect from a hotel that really let them down. Things I expect in a hotel that the Kube did not provide were:
- A working safe. Again, didn't need to use this but it would be good to have the option. They had some modern looking safe above the toilet that I couldn't get to grips with, and I'm excellent with electronics. I suspect that the code wasn't reset as the safe was locked and did beep a bit at me after I fiddled too much with it. There were no instructions to verify this with though. I could've called for help but again I wasn't really that fussed.
- Room service menu. All they had was a menu stating they offer room service, but nothing that could actually be ordered. Fortunately I didn't need room service.
- A fixed point shower head. There was nowhere to attach the shower head, so we just took baths as the bath was huge and very nice.
- Robes. Not that fussed in the end, but it is something I expect to find especially when they advertise that you can buy one of them too.
- Non black soap. Whilst the soap looked cool (it was a black cube which spelled KUBE) it was impractical and made a mess of the sink and towels when you dried your hands.
- Shower gel. Just provided shampoo. Little thing I know, but I don't pack many toiletries these days because I expect a hotel to provide these things once you start paying over a certain amount.
- An extra glass. They only left one glass in the room to use, which isn't ideal if there are 2 of you. We chose not to ask for one from room service as we read the 4 euro charge for delivery. They did leave some plastic cups in the fridge, so we used them instead, but hardly high class.
- Information about the hotel and facilities. Surely missing a trick here as surely they can get more by leaving info packs on what the hotel offers. If I wanted to find out more about the Ice Bar, it was easier to research on Google.
- Wifi instructions. I had to call up the front desk to access their free internet, but you'd thought a modern hotel would be advertising their free extras?

All these small things don't really spoil the hotel, but they're just not living up to their potential. We weren't told what time check out was, or other basic things all hotels tell you. They seemed to want to be like an iPhone, and allow the user to be intuitive in how things work so they don't have to leave an instruction manual. Whilst this works with modern touch screen devices, it's not really how a hotel should be. I want to know when breakfast is served. I want to know how to connect to the wifi. I want to know when check out is. I don't want to call up to find out. In their desire to remain "cool" your instruction manual is a square black piece of paper giving 3 phone numbers, being room service, front desk and something else I forget. The only other things left in the room were fashion magazines and other hip rubbish that served little purpose.

The hotel could be really good, but they just seem too involved in the style rather than what a hotel should be. It seems all a bit media. If you dress like you’re in Mumford and Son then this could be the place for you. It has furry wallpaper which should paper over the cracks I’ve mentioned. Otherwise, I would take a look at other places.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kube Hotel? Share your experiences!