“Nice room, could be a lot better, shame about location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kube Hotel

You added Kube Hotel to your Saves list
Kube Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-5, Passage Ruelle | 18th Arr., 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #1,272 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Nice room, could be a lot better, shame about location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night (25th Jan 2013) as a couple in an M room. I had booked this hotel due to all the nice design bits about it and wanted to impress the girlfriend with somewhere with a wow factor.
This would have been off to a good start but the area surrounding the hotel is a complete hole (think the brixton of paris!) the area is like a crap part of london, with lots of awful stores, dirty butchers and dodgy people. It does not feel like a romantic start to any break! (My partner and I are both police officers and both felt it best to power walk in the area after dark to avoid getting mugged!)
Anyway... The hotel itself is off of the dirty horrible street and off a nicer (just!) side street. Upon arrival there was a mini protest going on outside the entrance, where we had to walk past a man with a megaphone.
Check in was quick, friendly and simple. The male receptionist was pleasant and helpful and allowed us to check in 3 hours early without fuss or charge.
We were taken to our room (310) which was an "m room".
It was nice, an ok size and warm enough. The bed was nice, the bath was good the design was modern and quirky (but not classy or particually well kept).
This hotel has seen better days, it was deserted and felt like something was missing. It clearly thought that it was above itself and was subject to cut backs. Eg. The fingerprint door entry was a pain, it was a cheap system that could be a nuisance and was more vanity then useful. Te mini bar was stocked but was a joke. The toiletries were rubbish and the safe did not work. The lights had no logic to them and could not be fully turned off from in the bed.
The tv picture was fuzzy. The room had a ps3... But no controllers (the receptionist said other guests had taken them)
Everything above led to an ok stay, but the one major issue is the paper thin walls in the room. Upon arrival we could hear someone "hammering" in the next room. Upon listening closer, we could hear matress squeaking and realised that the hammering sound was people having sex in the next room. It was ok though, as the noise was drowned out by the protest outside as the windows also let all the sound in.
It was not only knocking you could hear... At three am we were also woken up by our neighbour, or more precicely, the woman he was making moan and shout as they had aex again. Not the best way to be woken up (and totally avoidable) with thicker walls.
To sum up... It was ok, the location is crap, the rooms are noisy, it was far away from everything and was scary to walk outside after dark.
Stay somewhere better, a chain hotel in a better location would be a much, much better choice for the same price range.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed on the night of 12th January, 2013 and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist who showed us to our suite.
The ultra-modern hotel is very clean and the rooms are very large, with an extremely comfortable large bed. The shower and washing facilities provide all than can be asked for. The air conditioning is very efficient and quiet.The rooms are exactly as shown in the photographs so you can be assured of the standard before you arrive.
Breakfast is superb with a fantastic variety of fresh breads, cheeses, meats, fruit, juices as well as cereals which were replenished frequently.
On booking out we left our luggage for the day and were provided with receipts and the cases were looked after very securely for the day.
Again the receptionist on duty was extremely helpful and provided excellent 'local-knowledge' information which we found most useful.
Whilst the local area would, for some leave something to be desired, the hotel more than compensates for its location.
It is very convenient for the Gare du Nord as well as La Chappelle and Marx Dornay metro stations.
We would most certainly highly recommend The Kube.

Room Tip: Every room is excellent.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Absolutely dreading our stay here after reading other reviews, but could do nothing about going somewhere else as we weren't picking up the bill. We had a lovely room. Yes, the shower was a bit gimmicky over a large square bath, which wasn't large enough to catch all the spray from the shower. We couldn't put the bedside lights on without having the main lights on, which involved getting out of bed and going to the switch beside the door, thereby defeating the object of bedside lights in my opinion. We walked from Gare du Nord, which didn't take long at all and arrived at midday, only to be told check-in is officially after 3pm, but they offered secure storage of our bags, but they also checked and found a room that was ready and so let us have that early. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. The food was excellent as we chose to eat in on the night that we stayed, buffet breakfast was very good, continually checked and replenished . Perhaps our only critisism would be is that the dining area is very dark, so make sure you pick a table under a light.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here beginning of November for my 40th. We booked this hotel because of the Ice bar!! When we booked our 4 day break in September I emailed them about booking the Ice Bar and phoned from the Uk three weeks before about booking the Ice Bar but when we arrived we was told we could not go to the Ice Bar.....no explanaation!! I was told to email when I got back home to the uk, which I did twice and to no surprise I am still awaiting a reply!! When we arrived they looked clueless so I don't know why I even thought I would get an explanation through email!!

Upmarket hotel with clueless staff!!
Yes I agree lovely quiet side street off a very busy run down street!!
Metro is not far and easy to use....Paris is about 20 minutes away on the metro!!!
So if I ever returned to Paris I would stay more central!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Although the style of this hotel and the its location near the Gard du Nord is a good advantage, my personal experience of the hotel was not a good one. The room was lovely, really modern and different to anywhere that me and my partner had stayed in, we particularly liked the finger pring room entry and the bed was incredibly comfortable. However, on our last day we were asked to check out at 12pm (a good time if you don't want to be up to early), but as our Eurostar was not leaving until 6pm we decided to make the most of our day and asked the receptionist whether there was somewhere secure we could leave our luggage in order to pick it up later when we departed from the Gard du Nord. The receptionist had reassured me that the room was secure (as only reception staff could enter the room) and we could pick up our bags later. Therefore, we left our bags which had named tickets on them in the room, and left 100 euros in my purse in my luggage to ensure that I had money for the trip home.

However, upon our return I checked my luggage to find that the money was no longer there. We explained the situation to the receptionist and she just told me that "this was impossible, and that there was nothing we could do" about the situation. This highly upset me and when asking her whether she could at least report this to the manager of the hotel in our absence, or if there was a complaints procedure she merely told me to email the hotel on my arrival home. This angered me greatly as she then went on to insinuate that we had lost the money ourselves or that no money had gone missing at all!

Eventually in trying to resolve the situation, we left to try and catch our train and agreed to contact the hotel on my arrival home. However, when we got to the station we had found that we were too late for our train, and were put on the next train home.

As soon as I got home, I contacted the hotel to make a complaint, and was told that the manager would contact me directly which she did the following day. She apologised to me, and asked me to email her the details and that she would launch an investigation. However, after doing this she had told me that only the police could launch and investigation, and that "the French police are suspicious of cash only theft, with no evidence". Therefore, as the French police do not have an email address I have not reported the incident as I do not which to spend another 100 euros on the phone trying to make a statement which then has to be sent to the legal department of the hotel before anything can get sorted.

I found overall the service extremely bad especially as money had been so clearly stolen in an area of the hotel that only reception staff had access to. As well as this no investigation was carried out, and unfortunately it would not surprise me if this happened to other guests. As it is such a modern 4 star hotel I would not expect this to happen, and get no satisfactory solution to the issue.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Advantages:
Convenient for the Gare du Nord if you are arriving by Eurostar
Large rooms, comfortable bed, reasonably quiet (although you can hear the trains)
Ok breakfast buffet (and served until 11ish which is good if you want a lie-in)

Disadvantages:
Situated in a side street off a pretty scummy main road - full of halal butchers, dodgy takeaway shops and lots of rubbish. Not intimidating or dangerous if you are used to a multiethnic inner city environment, but definitely poor, and not exactly a tourist attraction

Closest metro stop (La Chapelle) is on a line which skirts the centre of Paris so you need to walk to Gare du Nord or change lines to get to the centre

Utterly disinterested staff - behave as though you are inconveniencing them just by breathing. For example, the restaurant manager took 25 minutes to get around to noticing us waiting (two steps from her) to enquire about a table while she fannied about on the phone, carrying coats around, and fiddled with her clipboard.
Reception staff were much better, but again at breakfast time it was like a ghost town with no one replenishing supplies of hot water, juice, coffee, cutlery or plates unless asked directly by a guest.

Claims to be a "design" hotel in the mould of the Charlotte St Hotel or The Scarlet in Cornwall - both of which I have visited, and frankly the comparison is laughable. Their idea of "design" appears to be sub-Ikea standard bedside tables and "desk" with a cubic (geddit?) bath/shower which floods the entire bathroom area when used because there is absolutely no shower screen.curtain. The corridors are painted black and lined with mirrors, which is "intended to disorientate the visitor" - great when you are tired and carrying your luggage, some of these mirrors are cracked where disorientated guests have presumably walked straight into them.
Also not keen on the furry walls of the lift (orange leopard print) and the all black furry decor in the bar/breakfast room - a cheery breakfast ambience.

All in all, very glad I wasn't paying to stay here - would have complained a lot louder if I have been forking out 200E for the privilege! There are much, much nicer places to stay in Paris for a lot less money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was a bit put off by reading previous reviews but we thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay at this hotel.
It is only a short walk from Gare du Nord and easy to walk to the metro.
The staff were very friendly and spoke good english and seemed very willing to help. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast - I had an omelette with bacon and my husband had bacon and eggs and it really was cooked very well.
The corridors were a little dark but that contrasted well with the brightness of the room. The room was a lovely size and the large bath, was quite welcoming after walking around Paris for hours! The bath is not fully screened off but seeing as we have been married for several years was not a problem. We slept very well in the large and comfortable bed and heard no noise at all.
It was easy to get to central Paris via the metro and I would be happy to return to this hotel again - still lots of Paris yet to see.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kube Hotel? Share your experiences!