“Too Small” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Emile

You added Hotel Emile to your Saves list
Hotel Emile
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2, Rue Malher | Marais, 75004 Paris, France (Le Marais)   |
Ranked #774 of 1,788 Hotels in Paris
Greece
“Too Small”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed in Hotel Emile with my husband for two nights at the end of September. I had booked a superior room for 180 euro per night. The room was on the 5th floor and very clean but it was not Superior. It was TOO SMALL even for Paris standards. There was no place to put our suitcases, no chair, no table, no space, no hand soap, no hairdryer! The hotel has practically no lobby, no reception and no room for breakfast. You have to sit in the entrance of the hotel drinking your coffee. The other problem was the "open plan" bathroom that begins about 50cm from the foot of the bed. This was fine for my husband and me, but if I were traveling with my daughter I would prefer to take a shower with more privacy. On the other side the location is perfect, the breakfast costs only 5 euros pp and it has an elevator, though a small one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I researched this website and many others before stumbling on Hotel Emile in the weeks before it was even open earlier this year. I had to make all my booking arrangements with the front desk by email because the booking engine was not yet up and running, but no matter. The hotel itself was a RARE FIND!!! Most smaller hotels around Paris and especially in the Marais look and feel tattered these days. Emile is brand new and absolutely fantastic in every way although I do with the elevator was at least as large as my luggage. C'est la vie in Paris. Instead I preferred to walk up to our top floor suite with sloping ceiling and windows looking out at the rooftops of Paris. Our bed was comfortable and the clawed bathtub a romantic Parisian treat. Cafe just next door was my haunt when I lived in Paris years ago, so the location was perfect for me, and anyone else who wants to shop and explore this area of Paris or hope on the St Paul metro #1 line going straight to the Champs Elysees. Staff was switched on, bringing up toilet paper moments after we asked, keeping the room spotless and answering all of our questions before and during our two night stay. I'll be back again and again.

Room Tip: Lower floors better if you prefer not to take the itsy-bitsy elevator. Higher floors boast fantastic...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Right in the Marais, this is a lovely hotel in which we surprisingly had restful nights. Lovely decor, with a bathtub big enough for two in the bedroom. I would have rated the hotel with 5 stars had it offered a better breakfast - we went to the next door American restaurant instead, because the hotel provided a very basic selection (mainly of viennoiserie, which is fine, but I prefer cooked food in the morning). Staff was very friendly and cleanliness as it should be.

Room Tip: Have one facing the main road if you can choose!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had stayed here when it was Le Sevigne and as a result chose to stay here again, this time for four nights. We found it to be whistle-clean (perhaps easy because of the renovation, but we remember it was clean as the Sevigne) and very enjoyable. The location is unbeatable in our opinion, with the Metro station across the street as well as numerous eating options and two markets nearby. The breakfast is minimal but fine (croissant, coffee, and juice). We experienced the staff to be helpful and polite (recognizing one from the Sevigne days). The rooms remain very small but that is not too unusual in this category of hotel. The air conditioning was very reliable and regrettably necessary during our stay. The windows are like triple-paned so there was almost no street noise; the AC made the room comfortable with the windows closed. Definitely understand that the shower is IN the room so you have no awkward situations- probably not a room to share with a co-worker unless you want to shower in shifts or create some heretofore unknown level of intimacy!

Room Tip: The elevator is tiny- we aim for no floor higher than 3 since we take the stairs except when dealing...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Le Sevigne many times over the past fifteen years and loved it: for its charm, spectacular location and the warmth of the owners. When I saw that the hotel had been totally renovated in modern Paris chic style, I was nervous: unsure that I would like the transformation. Well, my anxieties were needless. Hotel Emile, the renovated Hotel Le Sevigne on Rue Mahler, is a charming boutique hotel that meets the needs of the traveler who loves Paris. The location of the hotel is my favorite: in the heart of the Marais. The rooms, although still very small, have been redesigned with functionality and design at the heart of the effort. Breakfast, included in the price, is served in a sunny room in the foyer of the hotel, served by Phillipe during our stay. I would like to thank Phillipe for all of his help and generous kindness during our stay. He is the consummate service industry professional! Do I recommend Hotel Emile??? Yes, with one point of reluctance. If the charming boutique hotel receives too many excellent reviews, it will most likely become harder to get a reservation in the future. I will just have to take my chances! Thanks to everyone at Hotel Emile for making our five day stay in Paris a comfortable, happy experience.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a tub only, with hand held shower. Some rooms have a shower only. We loved th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We just came back from Paris 2 weeks ago. We stayed in Hotel Emile for 4 nights. The position of this hotel is brilliant. We love the Marais district. It's right across the road from St Paul Metro Station.
Hotel Emile was average in my opinion. We booked what was meant to be the largest room.
It was actually in an attic and the slant of the ceiling meant you could only stand straight in one straight line from the door to the bed. The largest rooms do not have a shower, only a free standing bath. The bath is lovely but you can't stand up because of the slanted ceiling, so getting out is a bit scary.
As we entered the room we noticed a very bad smell. We realised it was coming up through the drain. When we told the girl in reception, she didn't seem like it was a new problem. She said we'd get someone to fix it and never did. After the 2nd night the smell was actually waking us up!!!
It was a sewerage smell and they knew about it!!!
They finally moved us to a smaller room on the 4th night and didn't charge us for that night.
They really should not have put anyone in that room to begin with.
The girl in reception was not very knowledgeable or friendly. We needed an emergency bunch of flowers and bottle of wine as a gift and she had no idea where to send us to. As it happened the cafe next door pointed us to a florist and bottleshop a few doors away.
She also had no idea where we could get laundry done.
Breakfast is a croissant or bread and jam, coffee or tea and orange juice from a long life pack, nothing special.
There is no information about the hotel in the room or any information about the Marais district or Paris. Nothing about wifi or any thing that may help a traveller. No maps. it was very annoying, especially when reception has no clue about the area either.
I think the smaller room was much better than the larger room as you could stand and not hit your head but over all it was not good value for money. It was very expensive for a boutique hotel, maybe because it was high season.
Sorry Hotel Emile, you really have to lift your game. It's just the simple things.

Room Tip: Ask about the smell!! Take a room with a shower. The bath is difficult.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Julien A, Directeur général at Hotel Emile, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear "Justrr",

We just would like to answer to your comment if possible. It looks like you complain about the fact that your room was in "an attic". Usually our customer love it, it's your right to did not appreciated it but we don't really understand why where you so surprised about it…we thought our pictures on our website were explicit about it.
Concerning the smell, we offered you a new room during your check-in as we mentioned the problem. You declined it and wanted to keep that room. We also explain you that it was the national day and could be long to be fix by a plumber.
Regarding to the flowers, she did not knew where to send you because at 8 pm in paris all flowers shop are closed. We know it's a big problem for tourists in paris but it is not london or New-York: most of shop close at 7.30 pm.
Furthermore it looks like we are not so expansive as the hotel you used to stay; le pavilion de la reine…
We would like to apologize and hope your stay at pavilion de la reine next year will be great :)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel several time when it was Le Sevigne. I loved the location, cleanliness, balconies, and mostly the price (64 Euros Single, 80-84 Euros Dbl.) I decided to stay at Emile partially out of nostalgia, but also because it's new and the area is convenient for me.

I paid 150 Euros/night for 4 nights, for a single use Double room which is far more than I normally pay. For that price I was hoping for more. I had a small room with great views onto the street and two large windows leading onto a communal balcony. The bed was comfortable, and the room was cleaned fairly well.

The room, however, was lacking a few things:
- A place to sit: I brought back food from the market, and had to sit on the floor to eat as I did not want to chance spilling anything (like wine!) on the very white sheets. This was not very comfortable or glamorous.
- Hair dryer, iron.
- Luggage rack. It was uncomfortable to have to get down on my knees to get into my suitcase everyday.

I wasn't fond of the 'open plan' bathroom. It looks great, but had I been travelling with someone else, it would have been a nuisance. Also, the curtains didn't close all the way, so I had to keep adjusting them while taking a shower so as not to be seen.

I wouldn't have minded all of the above if I had been paying less for the room. Even the Sevigne rooms had desks/chairs, hairdryers, an iron for use on the 2nd floor, storage space under the sink for toiletries... all for less than half the price of Emile.

The staff were okay, not overly friendly, except the Breakfast gentleman - he was nice. I asked the front desk lady about the free breakfast I'd read about, and she mumbled something. When I said "pardon?", she said that they indeed were offering breakfast for the time being. It didn't seem like she wanted to share that information.

I didn't try La Favorite, but remember when it was Le Dome. I had to laugh because La Fav looks very much like Pastis/Schiller's/Balthazar in NYC, right down to the while tiles, bar layout, cute staff. It looks like it was inspired by those NYC spots that tried to reproduce the classic French bistro aesthetic. Talk about full circle... Ha!

Anyway, not sure if I'd stay at Emile again. With so few affordable options in the Marais, I certainly do miss Le Sevigne!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Emile? Share your experiences!