“Great location, not much else.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Absolute Hotel

You added Absolute Hotel to your Saves list
Absolute Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1, rue de la Fontaine au Roi, 75011 Paris, France (Canal Saint-Martin)   |
Ranked #1,135 of 1,788 Hotels in Paris
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, not much else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

What this hotel has going for it is location. Very close to Republique which has lots of great metro connections and walkable to Bastille, the Pompidou, bars and restaurants in Oberkampf etc.

However don't come here to meet people. The only real common area is a basement kitchen and nobody really 'hangs out' there.

Further, I had a few issues with the staff. There was somebody sleeping in my bed and so I slept in the opposite bottom bunk that night as the guy didn't speak English and unfortunately it is my only language. Over the next few days I told the staff multiple times and they just ignored me. Further, the bed I ended up sleeping in was broken (the mattress had popped through the base so it was lopsided) and they ignored that too when I told them.

I couldn't sleep in a top bunk due to ankle injury preventing me from climbing up there (there weren't even ladders in my room anyway) so I really had no choice but to stay in that bed.

I mean, I got unlucky but for the staff to not even attempt to rectify was pretty frustrating.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Aitkin, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at this hostel three times over the course of one week as a stopping point between travels to London and back and just a two-day trip of sightseeing in Paris. The first two times I stayed in a six-bed mixed room, the second time in a four-person mixed. This is by no means a four star hotel experience, but for young travelers it's really not a bad choice. The hostel is about a five-minute walk from the République métro stop, from where you can easily go anywhere in Paris. The included breakfast consisted of cereal, bread, juice and your choice of tea or coffee. I was always welcomed with good service and if you don't have your wireless devices on you (free wifi), there are three computers in the lobby that guests can use. Finally, the mixed rooms at least are at a great price!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

First things first: the hoStel (it is a hostel, after all) has an awesome value (avg. 20€ for a spot in a 4-bed dorm, breakfast included) for Paris, particularly in its location (very close to a central metro station).
It is particularly awesome to be able to get around easily with friends.

The rooms are relatively clean, sheets are clean and fresh. Walls are a bit thin but still ok and when the window is close the noise from the street is well muffled.
It has to be noted that there are no security lockers in the room, and the ones at the reception (free ones) are very small (for little valuables) and only 3 larger ones, where you can barely fit a 15" pc (but it fits). Appart from that, awesome location, staff, an ok breakfast (included) and did I mention the awesome value? Would recommend.

Room Tip: check if the window closes and if not, ask for another room, if they have one available they will sw...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed here months ago during a weekend visit to Paris. My roommate had booked the hostel and so I didn't question it. Our trip to Paris had a rough start, our flight had been delayed and we arrived to Paris way later than we were expecting. We were hoping to rest comfortably, or at least rest as soon as we arrived at the hostel. When we arrived the lobby was definitely fooling, it had a cool boutique look to it. Unfortunately as soon as the stairs leading to the room became visible, the dirtiness of the hotel did as well. The stairs were covered in a red carpet that looked as if it had not been vacuumed since the french revolution. I was hoping this was not a reflection of what our room looked like. Of course I was hoping in vain, my blanket was covered in dirt and the room smelled of sweat. Worst of all the window did not close completely and the heat didn't work. I had to sleep with very thick sweatpants a huge sweater, socks, gloves and my coat on. I didn't want to let my skin touch the sheets, I was afraid of what ancient disease they might still be transmitting. Overall I would say this was the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. After this particular experience I have been scared to go into another hostel. Our last night there we had to buy blankets at store. We also had to cut our stay short, it just was unbearable to spend another night there. We booked a hotel by the airport that was around the same price. I recommend staying away from this place or prepare yourself for a terrifying experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Augsburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

The hotel is great for the location! Pretty near to the metro Republique station, and it's very convenient to go to almost anywhere in Paris from here. The staff weren't too helpful for me though. They seemed to be rather busy doing their own business instead of answering my questions. And it's quite noisy in the room. You can hear the sound coming from other rooms and the bathrooms. And another troubling thing for me was that there was only one socket workable in a dorm room for four.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, the room was fine (small, but hey, it's Paris) and had everything we needed (bed, toilet and shower!), the location was really handy to Republique on the Metro, and there were plenty of places to eat nearby. For one, Le Cabinet de Sa Majeste we can recommend highly! One thing: don't let your partner dry her hair underneath the smoke detector.....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Love my stay at Absolute Paris. The location is very near to the metro station though it's a bit "hidden" right next to a cafe and I almost missed it while locating it at night. It will be great if the signage is lighted at night and it will be easier for first timer to locate the place conveniently.

The staff at the reception were providing excellent services during our stay and went all the way out to assist us whenever possible.

Breakfast was decent with bread and cereals. Nothing fantastic.

As for the room, it's okay for the price we paid for. Though we expected a much cleaner place. As our room was facing the main road, it was kind of noisy and at times affected our sleep. Hence, we need to shut down the window to reduce the noise but it made the room kinda stuffy. Luckily, it's autumn hence it is still bearable.

Overall, we were happy with the stay during our last visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Absolute Hotel? Share your experiences!