“Poor service and staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Villa Des Artistes

You added BEST WESTERN Villa Des Artistes to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Villa Des Artistes
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9, rue de la Grande Chaumiere, FR-75006 Paris, France (Luxembourg)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up To -30% Off Room Rate
Ranked #354 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Ireland
“Poor service and staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed here two years ago ..we had a nice room and the location was excellent. So we booked it again ....oh dear.

Staff were rude and disinterested. Breakfast was €16 euros each -a ripoff. (We didnt partake)I paid for the artists room (Rooms at the top of the hotel duplex style. (Nice space but completely overpriced at €330 /night )and we stayed for three.

We had problems with cards for the room -you can only have one and connection to "zare free wifi" required a degree in astrophysics.

Oh dear I do hate being negative.Nearby metro allows access to main sites quickly -so that didn't bother us.

We wont be back to this hotel

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

OK, first things first, I spent MONTHS looking for a good quality hotel in Paris. I saw the pictures online, checked out the website and read the Tripadvisor reviews. I didnt mind spending a little extra to get a quality stay on my first visit to France. I thought I found the perfect fit...boy was I wrong!

Location - hotel is in Montparnasse - not in the centre, but it tries to compensate by being a 2 min walk to Vavin metro. Most tourist attractions are not on this line though and transferring between lines can mean endless underground walks. Sure, it seems simple enough to transfer, but it is not practical when you are sightseeing in such a big city and have limited time. I would definitely recommend staying in St Germain de Pres/Latin Quarter - city centre, cheaper accommodation according to several friends (would you believe!) and probably a much better overall holiday experience.

Note: Hotel is 5 minute walk to the back of Luxembourg Gardens though. You need to walk all the way through to reach recognisable tourist sites.

Service - so the French have a well established international reputation for not being extremely friendly people - but the staff here bring it to a whole other level. I was shocked by how the evening reception man spoke to me (and I am close to fluent in the language!!) when I asked about a room problem. I tried explaining in English as a last resort to which he said he could not leave the reception desk as he was alone in the hotel, despite the fact that it could mean any random person could enter my room at night...to top things off he then joked about me and my question with a service man who was next in line (and I could obviously understand as I speak the language!!) The other reception staff were ok, however short with me and my questions, appearing busy and indifferent to my concerns. Some even pretended to not speak English...do they realise they are running a tourist based business?

Value - way too expensive for the experience, service and location. What a rip off! Stay elsewhere...

Sleep Quality - I stayed here several nights and each weekday awoke early to the sound of drilling due to renovations a metre across the street...

Cleanliness - generally this is the highlight of the hotel. The room was very clean, although extremely small. AC also needs to be constantly moderated to avoid suffocation.

Breakfast - I read on a few other reviews breakfast was complimentary this month (Oct 2011). Certainly wasnt the case when I visited last month - has this changed? I called up a few weeks in advance and checked if breakfast was included in my booking to which I was told yes but at the hotel was repeatedly told I'd have to pay extra on top of the already overcharged price. No thanks.

Restaurants close by are plenty, however some are on the expensive side like Le Dome. I loved going to L'Atelier (2 min walk past Vavin metro entrance) to get yummy scrambled eggs with bacon at half the price of the hotel breakfast. You wont be disappointed. Staff are so lovely and friendly too.

I'd recommend reading as much about hotels before deciding on one in Paris and I'd steer well clear of this one - far away from main tourist sites, overly priced, rude staff and small rooms. I really regret my choice and I'd like to help other young travellers not make the same one.

Room Tip: If you decide on this hotel, ask for a room facing the inner courtyard, not the street unless you wa...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in October 2011 and had a fantastic time. We were intentionally trying to avoid the crowds near the major tourist hotspots of the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. An American ex-pat who had lived in Paris recommended the 6th arrondissement to get a feel for Parisian city life. The hotel is just a few steps from the busy Montparnasse area and is convenient to many Metro lines.

I had searched TripAdvisor for weeks to find a place that would be acceptable to my wife, who has a bit of a thing about things being clean and orderly :-). This hotel fit the bill. If Best Western had the same quality establishments in the USA that they have in Europe, they would be a high end brand.

Yes, the rooms are not big, but Paris is like Manhattan as far as room size is concerned. If you spend more than sleeping time in your room in Paris, then you have a problem--get out and see the city! The bathroom was small as well, but spotlessly clean. Our room windows opened to an internal courtyard, which was great because it was so quiet. A view in Paris probably means lots of street noise, so they are a bit overrated.

The staff at the hotel was quite accommodating, spoke excellent English and went out of the way to help us. Michael, in particular, went out of his way to find us wine glasses when we returned to the hotel with a bottle of Bordeaux.

When we return to Paris we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
Melbourne, Vic. Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is very well located for major transport options and 5th, 6 th, 7th, and 14th arrondissements.

As is usual in Paris, accommodation is compact but very comfortable. All staff encountered were friendly and helpful.

Good restaurant/eating options abound in this area. Vavin metro on the next corner, fare Montparnasse a short walk away.

• Stayed October 2011
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Nice hotel on a nice street in a nice area. Friendly staff, who are happy to speak English and give directions. The breakfast, served from 7am to 10:30am, is tasty and complimentary. Rooms are clean and appealing. Great cafes, restaurants, and bars around the corner. Easy access to airports via Port Royal RER (a short walk away). Stay here for a quality 3 star.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
LaSalle, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We recently stayed at the Best Western Villa des Artistes from September 8 to 13 2011. The left bank location was excellent. We arrived in Paris by Eurostar so getting from Gare du Nord to the Vavin metro stop was one straight trip on the yellow line 4. It did not take long to get there at all. When we got off at Vavin we did have to carry our suitcases up the stairs but luckily we packed on the lighter side. Exit towards Rue Vavin. When you reach the top to the stairs walk straight ahead. On your left side you will see a flower shop on one corner and a bank (BNP I think) on the other. Between those 2 places is the street that the Best Western Villa des Artistes is located on. It is just a few shorts steps down on the right. The reception area and lobby are small but adequate for time spent there. We were in room 3 on the ground floor with our window looking out into the courtyard. It was very quiet and extremely clean. The bed was very comfortable althought the pillows were on the smaller side. Water pressure and availability of hot water was also excellent. I had read that other guests had issues with the shower but if you positioned yourself just right there was no problem. My husband is over 6 feet tall and he got very little water on the floor. There was a wall mounted hair dryer available and a rack towel heater which we did not use. At a chillier time of year it probably would be welcomed. There was a small breakfast room just off the lobby. The first morning we went out to a local restaurant but the following mornings we just decided for convenience sake to purchase the breakfast buffet. It was 16 Euro per adult which I think was quite expensive for what was available. You had a choice of expresso, coffee, tea, orange and grapefruit juices. There was also toast, baguette and croissants of course with butter and jams. Scrambled and hard boiled eggs, sausage (which was really just hotdogs), assorted meats, cheeses, yogurt and fresh mixed fruit salad rounded out the selection. Internet was free and available wireless in the room which was very much appreciated. We just had to go to the front desk and the gentleman clipped a code off a piece of paper for us to get past the security. We found it to be quite quick and after a hectic day it was good to be able to go on the internet and read the home town news and keep in touch via email and facebook. During our stay it was quite warm and we like sleeping in cool conditions so the air conditioning more than met our needs.

We found the location of the hotel to be convenient to whatever we needed. I would say there are over 3 dozen restaurants and cafes within a 10 minute walk. There is everything from street side creperies to higher end seafood restaurants available. We noticed Thai, Lebanese, Italian and even Cuban close by. Everywhere we tried was delicious. The other part of the location that was excellent was that we were close to 4 different metro stops. At Raspail we caught our pre paid L'Open top hop on / hop off tour and were able to go right to the Eiffel Tower for our ride up to the top. When we left Paris we walked about 7 minutes to the Port Royal stop to go back to Charles de Gaulle. So easy and much less than taking a taxi or private transfer. Also the Gare Montparnass Bienvenue was nearby. We walked to the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens in no time. It was a welcome oasis within the city. So serene but also full of local Parisian life as well. One day when the weather was bright and sunny we walked all the way to the Seine but took the metro back to Vavin and our hotel. From this hotel it was easy to get everywhere. I think the thing we loved the most was that it really was a neighborhood and not full of the typical tourist traps.

The front desk was helpful and efficient when called upon. Even when we checked out and noticed a few charges on our account that did not belong to us it was taken care of immediately.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend the hotel to my family and friends!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We spent 4 nights here at the end of August. I note very mixed reveiws but I think this hotel gives you get exactly what you would expect from a 3* hotel. Our room was on floor 5 and from looking at photos has not yet been refurbished, but vey comfortable bed, clean, and quiet with thankfully v efficient air-conditioning (very hot outside!). Again breakfast basic self-service but good choices, nice room and friendly service. Metro just across the road so location ideal for getting around and not too far to walk if you want to. Good base for exploring Paris!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Villa Des Artistes? Share your experiences!