“Great place to be!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chatillon Paris Montparnasse

You added Hotel Chatillon Paris Montparnasse to your Saves list
Hotel Chatillon Paris Montparnasse
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 square de Chatillon( au niveau du 33 Av jean Moulin) | metro ligne 4 porte d'orleans et Alesia, 75014 Paris, France   |
Ranked #365 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Bucharest, Romania
“Great place to be!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel was a great sourprise!! After I read that usually the rooms in the hotels form Paris are very small and expensive, I wasn't expecting to much. But our staying in Hotel Catillon made out trip to Paris even better that we could have imagined. We stayed in a spacious room, very clean and with new, modern furnish. The bed was very confrotable! The hotel is located in a good area, so we had calm and quiet nights. Placed near Alesia metro station (line 4), the hotel is easy to reach, the staff was polite and helpful and there were a lot of restaurants and bistros just around the corner. If you go to Paris and want a good, clean, cosy hotel, do go to Chatillon. It's a great destination for an average budget and it offers you all you need for a pleasant trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you're looking for a nice, tidy, calm hotel, it's perfect. The rooms are clean, it's quiet at night, breakfast is Ok (not fantastic, but well...). It's not in the downtown of Paris, but near to Alesia metro station, and othe bus stops. Ideal for an average budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Last 2 nights in Paris, stayed in a great hotel a few weeks back but it was fully booked for our last 2 nights - so after scouting out Tripadvisor and previous reviews, we decided to give Hotel Chatillon Paris Montparnasse a go. Out of a possible score of 5 I give:
Room a 3.5
The location a 3
The service a 2.5
The room, while compact, was clean and colorfully lit. The bed was comfortable, and street noise was no major drama at all. If you close the windows, its not a problem. Even with it open, it's not too loud.Tucked away at the end of a short street not far from Alesia train station (line 4 - with access to Gare Du Nord, which is I think 19 metro stops to Alesia... sounds like a lot but it's really about 25mins on the train.), it's actually not a bad part of town. It's not extremely central, but if you're after a bit of a "suburban feel" and don't necessarily want to be on the tourist track, then its quite suitable.

I wasn't particularly impressed by the service. Of course you're not staying at a 4 or 5 star place, so it would be silly to expect those things. What I'm not fond of is:
a) being asked to keep the key at reception. (during the 2nd day we came back in the afternoon to see our room wide open, and the housekeeping lady was in reception grabbing some cleaning stuff, when we had walked in.) From a security perspective, I was a little alarmed because anyone could have just walked into our room and taken anything.

I also didn't like the way one of the staff approached the key issue, as after the room wide open experience, I took the key with me on my next short trip out. When I got back I got asked why I didn't leave the key at reception. When I politely asked why this was necessary, I got a perfectly good english "Because it is not permitted!" Alrighty then. Sorry for valuing my belongings?

Understandably, the hotel also has a no eating or drinking policy in their rooms. Probably bad past experiences with people who spill wine and cheese all over the ahem, expensive linen. :)

For those with lots of baggage, if you are going back to Charles de Gaulle International Airport, its about a 60 euro cab ride (give or take) from this hotel. Although you can get there by using 2 metro lines, it will take time and in any peak period hauling luggage around from this hotel will be a pain.

Average hotel with average value for money in my opinion, I would not recommend this place specifically but I wouldn't rule it out as an option either. It's good enough if you're on a budget.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We spent 4 nights in this hotel, situated in a residential area. Great room, comfortable bed, quiet and very clean. Breakfast was bread/croissant jam and tea/coffee. There are good cafes/restaurants nearby, especially near the Alesia Metro, which is about a 10minute walk away.The staff were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Chatillon for 5 nights. My stay was during a major car show in Paris (I merely came for a conference), so I was pleased to find a reasonably priced and well-rated hotel within Paris. The hotel itself is in a residential, non-touristy area of Paris. If you are looking to be easily near destinations, the 20-30 minutes it takes to get to the tourist areas may not appeal to you. However, if you would like to be in a quieter part of Paris with the hum of "real" versus tourist life, then this is a lovely area. The metro is nearby, and do not miss the bakery on the diagonally across on the roundabout. You'll know it - there's usually a line out the door.

The hotel itself is off a little side road, so it's location is supremely quiet. The interior has been clearly refurbished. Although the red animal print carpet is quirky, the rooms are reasonably sized and attractively furnished. The bed is comfortable, and the cleanliness is excellent. There are some slightly bizarre cupids on the wall, but otherwise everything is fairly tasteful. The free wireless is definitely a plus, although as others reviewers note, the 12 hour limit of each code is a bit annoying when the code expires late at night and already dressed for bed. I didn't eat the breakfast, so I can't comment on it. It was 8 Euros - I preferred to get bread or a sandwich at the amazing bakery for much cheaper. The "no food in rooms" felt a little controlling. I wondered how in the world they'd enforce it, and the oppositional soul in me wondered how much one might be able to get away with. I am also a big tea lover and missed having a tea making facilities. Otherwise, the staff spoke very good English and was quite helpful and polite (although sometimes arriving back at the hotel in the evening I had to retrieve my own key from behind the desk because no one was there and didn't respond to the bell on the desk that I repeatedly rang).

These complaints were minor however. My biggest complaint is around the fact that the walls of the hotel rooms are PAPER THIN. I think I have only stayed in a hotel with such thin walls once before. A good example? I could hear someone start their computer in the next room with perfect clarity. Several nights in a row I had someone snoring on one side and an exuberant couple who would arrive back at the hotel between midnight and 2am. Also, although the small size of the hotel is nice, the lift runs right through the middle of the 5 rooms and is also a bit clunky. With paper think walls, I knew all the comings and goings of everyone. Also, although the hotel has refurbished the rooms, it has not updated the locks. To lock the door was a noisy affair. I don't think anyone mastered a quiet technique. All of this added up to 5 extremely sleepy nights for me. This clearly wasn't the case for the individual snoring in the room next to me - but I tend to be a light sleeper. Even with the noise maker on my telephone, the noise was pretty disruptive.

So, in sum - a pleasant if slightly quirky hotel that is fabulously clean and in a quiet area. If you're a deep sleeper, this hotel is a very good option. If you're a light sleeper though, avoid this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We booked with Hotel Chatillon because it had the best reviews within our budget. We were so glad that we chose this hotel! The staff was very friendly and very helpful (I'm not sure how someone could have trouble with them!). I'm picky about beds and my husband and both agreed that this one was perfect, not too soft or hard! We stayed on the 4th floor and had a nicely decorated room with an obviously refurbished bathroom. The walk-in shower was fantastic, especially for Europe! The neighborhood was mostly quiet. We did hear noise from other rooms in the morning, but nothing excessive. We expected much less (and I do a lot of research before a trip) and our expectations were exceeded :).

Metro and cafes, etc...: We did not have breakfast at the hotel but heard that it was good (budget again) and there are great patisseries and brasseries nearby. (see my other reviews ;)) I was concerned that we would be too far away from the center of Paris but I think it made our trip better, in hindsight. The Alesia metro was a 7-10 minutes stroll (5 if you hustle) and right on the #4 which runs north-south right through the city, so we hardly ever switched lines. And staying in Montparnasse was such much more like a "neighborhood of Paris", after 5 days we could imagine that it was "our" neighborhood. Thanks so much for a great 'home base'!

Room Tip: Use the key to turn the lock as you close the door so it doesn't slam :). Oh, and hair dryer is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed here for three nights. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and (Ikea) stylish. It's at the southern end of the city. So, while it's close to the metro, it still takes 20-30 minutes to get to the city center, depending on where you are going exactly.

The beds are comfortable. The room is of a good size and has nice amenities.

As for the quirks. They don't allow any food in the room, which is okay at first but a bit annoying when after a long day, you just want to buy a sandwich and eat it in your room. Or, if you want to have a beer/wine in your room.

To access the free internet service, you have to register and use a code that is good for only 12 hours. That too seems harmless at first until you need to check your email early in the morning and your code has expired.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Chatillon Paris Montparnasse? Share your experiences!