“pretty, clean, not-well-run modern hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gabriel Paris

You added Hotel Gabriel Paris to your Saves list
Hotel Gabriel Paris
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 rue du Grand Prieure, 75011 Paris, France (Formerly Hotel Gabriel Paris Marais) (République)   |
Special Rate
€119 (EUR)
Ranked #415 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“pretty, clean, not-well-run modern hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I booked this hotel for the Easter weekend (3 nights) as it was me & my boyfriend's first trip together, so I wanted something sexy, special and comfortable. The pics looked great and all the reviews were overall positive. Our experience was a mix of terrible and good... read on.

When we arrived to check in, it was only one lady at the front desk and she seemed really busy, barely coping with people checking in and the phone ringing. After she took a photocopy of my passport, she asked us to wait and then checked in the couple behind us. She told them there was a problem at the hotel so they had been booked at the boutique hotel literally across the street and I thought we would not have that issue. She gave us the same story and I was annoyed because we were told we would stay 2 nights elsewhere ("still modern, just a different style") and the last night there. I naturally didn't fancy moving around during a long weekend. She walked us to a hotel 3 blocks down... the Crowne Plaza. The bland, business chain that is the Crowne Plaza. She offered to come up to our room to have a look it and once I saw it (I stay in a lot of business hotels) I told her I simply didn't accept that she didn't have a room at the Gabriel and that we would stay at the Crowne Plaza for one night but I wanted her to find us a room at the Gabriel for at least 2 nights because that's where I wanted to stay. She was very very apologetic and said she'd look into it. I was first told it was the booking system, and then that it was a plumbing issue.

Hours later, I called and she said she managed to get us a room at the Gabriel for our 2nd and 3rd nights. From that point onwards every member of staff we met was really helpful, friendly and smiley and the service was great. However, the whole confusion of the booking system/plumbing issue/overbooking(?) was frustrating and disruptive.

Breakfast was complimentary and we only had it on our first morning but there was not enough choice so we had breakfast elsewhere for the remainder of our stay. WiFi is supposed to be free but we couldn't connect with an iPhone, an Android or an iPad. There were NO english channels at all which was odd.

The hotel itself is really pretty with LED lights everywhere and the design is really cool.

The Room: small like you would expect for Paris, but there is space for everything because it's well thought where to put things. We had 3 suitcases and managed to find a place for everything. The bathroom is also cool, but the door is a sliding door so you can hear from the bed whatever the other person is doing in the bathroom. Ehem. The shower is good but the glass only covers literally half of it so water will go everywhere. The bed is really comfortable and so are the pillows, and the lighting is divine.

The cleaner came in on our second morning - without knocking. Also, you can hear her outside getting the cleaning stuff, putting the broom on the wall, broom fell (bang!) etc... and because the floors are hard, you can hear everyone upstairs walking around. Similarly, you can hear the water from the bathrooms upstairs - the sink, the shower, when they flush... I think the noise insulation is a bit of a problem.

The cleaner did not replace the towels and I had to ask for more towels to be delivered - we had 2 and nobody took the old, wet towels from the floor. Huh?

The location: It's a 3 min walk from Oberkampf station and about 5 mins from Republique. Metro connections are ok but not ideal, and it's about 15 mins walking to the Marais.

All in all, we happened to have a bad experience that I'm sure does not happen often, but it was how it was handled that let us down (they could have called me the night before if it was the "3 day plumbing issue" to let me know I was gonna be in another hotel) although they made amendments, it was still annoying. Also the cleaner coming in without knocking, the internet thing and the towel issue were just annoying, although the property itself is really gorgeous.

Would I stay there again? probably not, because there are tons and tons of hotels in Paris so it shouldn't be hard to find another boutique hotel. I wouldn't say no if I had to stay there for some reason, but I'll go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the top floor to avoid noise issues.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
juliengabriel, Responsable réception at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking some time to share your experience.

First of all and once again, we are sorry we had to find a replacement accommodation for the first night of your booking.

We did our best to find one as close to us as possible and one which would feature the best possible standard and quality of service, no matter of the extra cost as it was on us. The Crown Plaza Paris Republique Hotel met these criteria as it is a 5-minute walk from us and is 4-star rated, whereas our neighboring hotels are 3-star.

You were kind enough to take a seat whilst we were doing our very utmost to try again and avoid this situation. Unfortunately, we were not successful and when we came back to you to finalize your check-in, we had to explain we were not able to welcome you for your first 2 nights.

As we understood your disappointment, we were delighted to offer complimentary breakfast for every morning of your stay, we walked you to the Crown Plaza Hotel and we went on searching a solution to welcome you the following day. After a change of situation, a room finally became available for your second night, which you were told when you called, and we were finally able to welcome you from your second night on.

We are sorry to hear that you had trouble with connecting to the internet with our wifi network and that you could not watch either one of English speaking TV channels (CNN or BBC News). We kindly remind you that our reception is open 24/24h and is at your disposal to improve your stay and assist you with this kind of requests.

Thank you for your comments about noise and cleaning service. Your opinion is important to us and we will do our best to make the necessary improvements.

Thank you for all your nice comments as well. We are pleased to know that you liked our hotel nevertheless and proud that you noticed so many positive details. We regret that your experience didn’t reflect our usual standard of service and will be glad to welcome you again to make your stay more enjoyable than before !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

The Hotel Gabriel really did look just like the photos! It was modern, clean and bright and very very smart

Ihe rooms were small which is to be expected in Paris but they had been decorated very well so the didn't feel very small and it was very quiet

The service was great and the location was perfect, it was a great base as it was easy to get everywhere with lots of places a short walk away.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Midland, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a review based on customer service alone, as we never made it to the hotel. NEVER give them your credit card!!
We had a reservation that we were unable to make due to an emergency. We called the night of, which we knew was leaving it late, and were happy to talk to a helpful associate who promised us that our credit card would not be charged and at this point we were quite impressed and planned to stay there once we finally made it to Paris.
Three days later the DO charge my credit card for the full stay, even though we never stepped foot in the hotel and more importantly, had been promised they wouldn't. After emailing Julien at the hotel, he admitted to us that they had mistaken us with someone else who did not call to cancel, and has since refused to refund out money and has ignored an emails about this. Awful. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD!! They can decide to charge whatever they want and there will be nothing you can do about it!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
juliengabriel, Responsable réception at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Customer,

We are sorry you had to cancel you booking from 19th to 20th January 2012 (1 night) on 19th January 2012.

We are sorry but we didn't find any written confirmation from any of our staff members confirming a free of charge last minute cancellation.
You were indeed mistaken with another customer with a similar request when you sent your e-mail after you called, however none of our replies to you promised free of charge cancellation.

The amount we charged on your card is 159 EUR.
It is indeed the full amount of your 1-night stay as per cancellation policy : cancellation later than 72 hours before arrival is charged with the amount of the 1st night.
We kindly remind you that you accepted this policy upon booking.

We are sorry you didn't have the opportunity to actually stay in Hotel Gabriel and experience our property and customer service.

We understand your concern and will be delighted to welcome you for a future stay so that you actually enjoy staying at Hotel Gabriel Paris Marais.

Kind regards.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I found the Hotel Gabriel whilst looking on Trivago I had not heard of it before but thought it looked nice and seemed to have good reviews.

I was very pleasantly surprised that the hotel lived up to the great reviews it was very clean, the staff were all very friendly and helpful and my room was very comfortable and airy.
I agree that the shower floods the bathroom as the shower door only covers half but it didn't bother me and would be more of a concern fior the hotel as it would after time damage the flooring.
My only other comment was that my mini bar was empty so i didn't have the option of having drinks in my room they missed out on sales there as I ran out of water and would have paid the €7 for a bottle.
The breakfast was included in my booking so I was happy with it but I wouldn't have wanted to pay the asking price as it was very basic but did the job.
Overall this was a really nice hotel and would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is a great little hotel in a good location. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are really well-designed: though small, they are stylish and comfortable. The breakfast is also excellent. We walked everywhere from here: it's about 10 minutes to the Pompidou Centre and the heart of the Marais, and it's only about 20 minutes to the Gare du Nord. We would certainly come back in future.

Room Tip: If you take a room at the back, you can open the windows without hearing traffic.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Venice, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

The hotel is cute but tiny, the breakfast room is small and cold air come through the door and you can feel the breeze while having breakfast. The rooms are nice, small but efficient, the lighting is great. Breakfast, even though small selection, is good, the products are excellent. Croissants and bread is just perfect. Location is handy but not the heart of the Marais... Overall cute but...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

You couldn't tell by the look outside that this simple grey parisian facade keeps a hidden jewel. If you are expecting the tipical small french hotel you know so well, you will be strongly surprised. Even the single rooms are so smartly crafted you will have plenty of space to enjoy. The clever lightening hidden in the walls, the tv disguised behind a double mirror and the sleek integrated wardrobes give a real esthetic pleasure as well as the soft, well combined colours. The bathrooms are also spacious and spotless. All the furniture is quite new, in a impeccable condition and very clean. The breakfast is a quite pleasent marriage between the tipical continental (with a good choice of croissants and buns) and a english one (musley, boiled eggs and cheese), the additional fruits and espresso are a great asset. It worth of mentioning the high quality products supplied: olive oil based soaps, showergels etc...
The only slightly enervating thing is the internet connection - it's free for all the hotel, although it's delivered at 2 hours sessions, so you will have to reconnect if you will be using it for more than 2 hours.
Bottom line: a suprisingly pleasant new type of hotel, a charming experiance I strongly recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Gabriel Paris? Share your experiences!