“Mostly decent; handy refrigerator” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Maine

You added Hotel du Maine to your Saves list
Hotel du Maine
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Rue Maison Dieu | 14th Arr., 75014 Paris, France (Montparnasse)   |
Ranked #1,446 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Mostly decent; handy refrigerator”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Located in the Montparnesse area and less than 10 minutes walk from the Metro station and less than 15 minutes from Gare Montparnasse, this small hotel suffices. There is not a lot of room to stretch out, but when in Paris, you should be out of the hotel most of the time.

I was pleasantly surprised by the small refrigerator in the room so that I could store my food.

The room is small and the Wifi signal did not reach my room, even though I was on the ground floor. But being on the ground floor enabled me to step out and sit in the lobby quite easily and get Wifi.

The front-desk staff is friendly and helpful with getting around Paris. They have good English skills.

The hotel is near a very busy street, Ave du Maine, with lots of shops and restaurants.

Clean bed, linens, bathroom and floors. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor so that you can get Wifi easily by stepping out of the room and into...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

The first, second and the lust impression of this hotel I can describe with one word - "average".

The room was small, but so was the price. Everything was clean and quiet. Wi-Fi area is only in the lobby and works poorly, though it was free of charge. We did not take breakfast and prefered to eat in the city. Front-desk guys were sweet and answered our questions pretty friendly. I wouldn't say the location was suberb, but metro-station was in walking distance.

Do I regret staying there? - No, I knew what to expect.
Would I stay there again? - Probably I would look for some other place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I recommend every young couple who are going to Paris to spend a romantic weekend. Hotel met my expectations, I was extremely happy with it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Rooms are quite small, but since you are in Paris, you will need them only for sleep, so it is not much of a problem. The prices are very reasonable (about 60€ for double), but do not expect anything fancy for your money. The location is also good, 5 min to metro-station and there are lots of brassieries and bakeries nearby. Staff at the reception was really helpful and nice.

Room Tip: room 57 - best view (street side, maybe bit noisier)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Paris is expensive when it comes to hotels so this was a nice little budget find. Exactly what you expect from a 2* in Paris. There may be some better finds in the area but if you end up here, you'll be just fine. It wouldn't be my first choice but I would stay here again.
What we liked:
- the price
- clean
- friendly staff (rarer than you think in this city)
- elevator (also rarer than you think)
- free Wifi (with a very, very long password)
What could have been better:
- rooms were very small but had everything you'd need
- safe in the rooms was not working (or at least I couldn't get it to work) and it was never fixed despite notifying staff. However they were very nice about letting me put things in the safe in at the front desk.
- Breakfast: in a country of amazing bread, I was quite disappointed in the little croissants and other bread items provided in the buffet. I could have gotten better at a holiday inn in the state (no offense, holiday inn). There are boulangeries within 2 minutes in all directions - more effort needs to be made here.

Other than the breakfast, this hotel fully met my expectations but again, if you are looking for luxury, this isn't it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

This is a small, clean and friendly hotel located less than a 10 minute walk from the Montparnasse Train Station. Tucked in on a side street, it has little street noise. The only noise I heard was from a school that must have been close by when the children came out for lunch or break. The rooms and bathroom are small but clean. Suitable for a single or couple looking for a few days away. I did take the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. I stayed here in September and October 2009 and would definitely return, especially if I wanted to be close to the Montparnasse Train Station (which has bus connections to CDG airport).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Millersville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Triple room booked in April for 2 adults & a teen for 4 nights. Put in a ground room with double bed and a "camp" cot. Next to breakfast & reception areas, no ventilation as the cot blocked opening the window. Cot collapsed at 2:30 AM. A segment of the metal frame bent in the middle. Scared my granddaughter so bad she screamed, blood curdling screams for minutes until we calmed her down. Despite much noise in lobby front desk area durring the night no one responded to screams. Not sure anything could be done at that hour anyway. Put mattress on floor and addressed problem in the morning with "manager" Were offered a new bed - not a cot - or a second room at no additional charge. Ended up with a second room. All was ok until Monday, as we were leaving out for the day - we had pre-booked tickets for the Eiffel Tower. We were told we had to get everything packed in the rooms because we had to change rooms. I asked for the manager, and was told he'd be there in the morning. It was the morning!! Told the gfirl behind the desk "No", she neeed to get this straight with the manager. This was not what we were told about the rooms. We left. When we got back the night clerk told us we would be charged for the rooms for 2 nights. We said no, asked for the manager, and were told he would be there in the morning. The next morning we were presented with a bill for the originally agreed upon amount for 4 nights in a triple and paid it in cash. The second room was their offer, replacing the bed would have been agreeable as well.
YESTERDAY THEY CHARGED OUR CREDIT CARD 150 Euros!!!!!!!
We will, of course, fight this through the credit card company.
In general the hotel was what was to be expected for under 100 Euro a night, old, showing wear, no frills but in an area that was quite nice and between 2 metro lines. If not for the BS we've have used them on future trips.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel du Maine? Share your experiences!