“Last minute choice proved a winner” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Choiseul Opera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 rue Daunou | 2nd Arr., 75002 Paris, France (Opéra)   |
Ranked #951 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Adelaide, Australia
“Last minute choice proved a winner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It was my last night in Paris before flying to Budapest. My ears had been sore for a few days but now they were roaring. I was staying in the Opera district, a favourite of mine, at the Concorde Opera Hotel. Forget about flying and stay near my surgery the doctor advised, and so the search began. My hotel was full so I needed to find accommodation for two nights. The first property with availability, the Hotel Choiseul-Opera, was a short walk away but the price had me worried – just 69 euros a night – breakfast an extra 13. However Paris hotels were full so it was not a time to argue. I walked to 1 rue Daunou – the hotel is well located close to the Opera House, shopping, bars (including Hemingway favourite, Harry’s Bar) and restaurants. The receptionist was charming and I was soon heading to the second floor and room 206. The lift is small even by Paris standards – just room for me followed by my faithful old Air Canada suitcase. Despite my misgivings the room was fine - good size for a 3 star with a well stacked minibar, small desk with three powerpoints, comfy queen size bed with a lighting master switch either side. The goodies included air conditioning, heated towel rail, full length mirror, safe at face level to make its use simple, and an excellent shower. I was also delighted to find soap and shampoo was provided. Free Wi Fi and a new Philips TV completed the package. Breakfast in the morning with the hotel cat watching on was delicious and filling. As the lift is so small you do tend to use the service stairs and this area is in need or renovation but that will start soon the receptionist assured me.

To conclude: A comfortable, very well located 3 star family style Paris hotel offering real value.

Ian McIntosh is Australia's Senior Traveller

Room Tip: Upstairs away from the lift.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

The room was well equipped and clean, the staff were nice and the area was nice also. We only stayed for one night but it was a nice stay. The beds were comfy. The only down side was the lack of a bottle opener for the mini bar.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014 via mobile

We were kept waiting for 1 and three quarter hours to get a room from 2pm. Room was an upgrade, but small, as you might expect in a city centre 3 star hotel. Basic but adequate. We'll located for Galleries Lafayette and the Louvre.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

We booked here as part of our honeymoon online and when we got to the hotel they only had a room with two single beds, not romantic! We asked for another room but the front desk man sat there like a deer in headlights and after saying nothing at all for what seemed like an eternity he asked if we had a booking there. Uhh, duh! WOW! It took the man almost 25 minutes to check us in! Are you kidding, we were the only ones at the counter! Very slow nonchalant service!

Obviously, we were disappointed that they now only had a room with two separate beds for our honeymoon but that aside, the hotel room was modern and clean. It appeared newly renovated and had that brand new carpet smell.

One thing to note: we were shocked to see that the giant window in our room opened fully almost like a balcony door, without bars or a screen of any kind this window opened to small empty concrete courtyard 4 stories below. BEWARE staying here with children as a child could easily fall right out of this low open window! Scary! Also, to note: there is a tiny elevator big enough for two people touching to fit in or one person and one suitcase. If you have any kind of mobility issues this is not the hotel for you!

Not once did the front desk ask how our stay was or if we needed anything. I had a distrusting feeling about the staff here and therefore left the Do Not Disturb sign on our door when we went out. Despite this being on the door they still came into our room and made it up.

At one point I tried to get the front desk to print tickets for a hop on hop off bus tour we purchased. The two young ladies at the front desk barely spoke English and couldn't figure out how to print my tickets. This was extremely frustrating considering the price we were paying to stay here! If it were a motel or super 8 sure but paying well over $300 cdn per night and you can't even print me two pieces of paper! What a joke! Not impressed.

There was one night shift younger guy who was the only pleasant person to deal with so thank you for being remotely personable, the rest of the staff should take note.

Finally upon checking out I noticed they have a resident cat who lives there. I personally don't mind cats but just in case you are not a fan or have allergies the cat from what I could tell has scratched up all the furniture in the lobby and wanders freely into the tiny dining room. FYI.
We go to check out and there was an incredibly rude and pretentious woman working the counter. She ignored me for a good 2-3 minutes while I stood there until I said hello excuse me do you speak English. She snapped back at me in a condescending tone, "of course I speak English" and huffed. I proceeded to check out and inquired on why their posted fees for our room type were much cheaper than what we had been charged online, she couldn't answer the question in a straightforward manner and I decided this was not worth arguing about. The woman then proceeded to mimic my accent and my laugh in a very rude way!

All I can say is WOW Goodbye Hotel Choiseul Opera! I couldn't be happier to walk out the door!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

You can't go wrong staying at this hotel which is about a 10 minute to the Louvre and 5 minutes to the opera metro station. So close to the Louvre and Metro. Helpful staff. Would stay here again while in Paris. In a very busy part of town but on a quieter side street.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

I had the privelage of staying in the duplex with my 2 kids. This was an experience in itself. The place isn't 5 star but its clean and cosy. It had a fridge which we needed as the monoprix is just p the road. No cooking facilities, just a bed, tv and fridge. The decor is outdated but if you re looking for somewhere to sleep that's cozy, this is the place. The staff are helpful and we would sty here again.

Room Tip: There is a pub next door that plays loud music till the wee hrs so stay as far away from the street...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
padova
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

Being there with my family of five, this is the best location to visit Paris and to have some fun at Disneyland Paris. Very convenient to the metro and bus, close to commercial restaurants (Hippopotamus, Chez Clement's), there is also a very good Creperie Bretonne just around the corner. Very quite to have a good sleep, nice size for a family of five. Staff is very kind and waited for us until midnight (extra charge of 70€ anyway). Orly and CDG are very well connected with RER and Metro. The only concern is about the bathroom: toilet isn't much confortable. Bathroom would be sized enough for everything, but they chose to have double washbasin and the toilet is shrinked between the shower and the basin: as soon as you're are not taller than 1,70m it's fine, otherwise your "morning procedure" would be difficult.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Choiseul Opera? Share your experiences!